McDonald's

Options
tugsandpulls
tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
I don't eat there but my kids do sometimes and now they coming our with chocolate drizzle ff really as if obesity isn't all ready bad enough and a few other restaurants are offering (healthy) dishes 690 calories or under nice try joking OK my rants over I ate turkey meatloaf and green beans for dinner tonight

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The world will always offer less-healthy options. Part of my growth through this process is to recognize these things as treats and stay my course. When indulging, I try to recognize that the first bite or two has all of the enjoyment and get the smallest portion available.

You're a chef, right? As a home cook, I try to incorporate the flavor combinations or these decadent things into my (hopefully healthier) cooking. What's the coolest thing you have cooked for yourself as you transition to healthier cooking?
  • tugsandpulls
    Options
    I eat a lot more veggies now and love turkey meatloaf, crockpot dinners , heavy on spices now low salt intake
  • JadedMage
    JadedMage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    stay away from any fast food, and you should keep your children away from it also. Its just not good for anyone...have you ever seen "supersize me"?
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    The world will always offer less-healthy options. Part of my growth through this process is to recognize these things as treats and stay my course. When indulging, I try to recognize that the first bite or two has all of the enjoyment and get the smallest portion available.

You're a chef, right? As a home cook, I try to incorporate the flavor combinations or these decadent things into my (hopefully healthier) cooking. What's the coolest thing you have cooked for yourself as you transition to healthier cooking?

My favorite new hobby is taking my old favorites and converting them into healthier versions that still rock the tastebuds! We have found some really good ways to make healthy versions of some of our favorite foods - who knew my husband would love my fat free cream cheese crust pizza! It's better than cauliflower crust in my opinion - reminds me of the stuff we used to get on Fridays in school lol
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I know this probably sounds crazy, but I cannot STAND fast food. If I am super stuck and mad hungry, I might get Chik-fil-a since their stuff at least resembles food--- but honestly, these days I would rather just be hungry than eat fast food. Blech. I did not always feel that way. I used to love McD's--- but I committed to staying away from it post op (almost 2 years ago now) and I stopped wanting to eat there. Maybe I just got lucky. :) Also, I do what I can to eat fresh, well prepared foods-- and that helped me lose my "taste" for fast-food.
  • tugsandpulls
    Options
    since im 4mo post op and down 85# i now look at food a lot diffrently i get repulsed when i see some of the food i use to eat now i know why i was 400#
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    since im 4mo post op and down 85# i now look at food a lot diffrently i get repulsed when i see some of the food i use to eat now i know why i was 400#

I know, right? I am not saying I never eat junk food, because I do, but I have to tell you it is a lot less than before and some of the things I used to eat I cannot even touch now. It gives me hope that I can keep the weight off when I think about how much my tastes have changed!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I still like french fries, but I'm not longer OBSESSED with them. I find I am satisfied with 1-3 fries off my friends plate to give me a taste. As for burgers, I'd much rather make a burger at home. so much more flavor and the quality is way better. I love bison and buffalo burgers with a slice of quality cheese and a few pickle slices. I don't miss the bread at all.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My kids get McDonald's on Fridays when hubby and I get a date. We used to grab it several times per week, and I always had an excuse to get a little "treat" of fries and an iced coffee or smoothie.

Nowadays, I rarely eat it, but there are ways to make decent choices, even there. I'll have a McDouble with no bun, or for breakfast I'll have a breakfast burrito (no hash brown). I always snitch a fry or two from the kids and remember that they don't taste nearly as good as they used to. This is at 18 months out, though. I didn't eat it at all the first 6 months, and wouldn't recommend it when every calorie needs to count for so much.