"Mortal Instruments" and the new Shadowhunters show

Options
MarvelGrrl
MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
Anybody that's familiar with the books and also watched the premier? This is my attempt to find people to geek out with and evaluate/critique the show lol someone please talk nerdy to me ;)

Replies

• jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the show. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure when, or even if, it's on in the UK :/
  • jonsmithkidd
    Options
    Just seen it's on Netflix every week the day after the US, so will be watching it tonight hopefully :)
  • MarvelGrrl
    Options
    Awesome :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i might try it if i can find the time
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just saw shadowhunters...loved it.I was surfing aroung and landed on it and thought"What have we here?" Really cool idea...different!
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just watched it last night, and rather enjoyed it. It made me really want to go back and read the books again so I can compare properly. How did you like it?
  • hemmymomma
    hemmymomma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Started the episode last night but my 2 year old was getting grumpy so I didn't get to finish. Hopefully tonight. I'm not totally sold on the actors... I actually really liked who they had in the movie. But I'm definitely still excited to watch it !
  • MarvelGrrl
    Options
    Shybea81 wrote: »
    I just watched it last night, and rather enjoyed it. It made me really want to go back and read the books again so I can compare properly. How did you like it?
    I'm happy in general that they're making the show and am trying to keep an open mind about stuff that has to be adapted. Potential spoilers I am dissapointed that she wasn't the one to kill the ravener demon. I didn't realize how familiar I am with the books until I was picking apart little minute details like Isobel's outfit at the club. Some stuff feels rushed and the biscotti scene feels like jumping into overdrive as far as foreshadowing. I need to get my book out to see if it's in there. I did enjoy it and am looking forward to watching more of it. Have you read the "Infernal Devices" books? It's sort of like a prequel series.
    hemmymomma wrote: »
    Started the episode last night but my 2 year old was getting grumpy so I didn't get to finish. Hopefully tonight. I'm not totally sold on the actors... I actually really liked who they had in the movie. But I'm definitely still excited to watch it !

I agree with you on the actors. The movie was really well cast but so far they seem alright on the show.

• Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I bought one of the prequel books but have yet to have time to read it. (note to self add more reading time to my schedule)
    I do think the show is a bit rushed and the acting could be just a tad better but I am enjoying it. I really liked the actors they had picked for the movie and was hoping they would do a second movie but I'll settle for a TV show.
  • MarvelGrrl
    Options
    The prequel series is my favorite :smile: The second episode of the show is a bit ridiculous -_-
  • jonsmithkidd
    Options
    Saw the first episode and really liked it, I thought it was a lot better set up than the film.
    MarvelGrrl wrote: »
    The prequel series is my favorite :smile: The second episode of the show is a bit ridiculous -_-

This sounds worrying though, only episode 2 and already going wrong?
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    After watching another Shadowhunter episode I think it might be bad acting bringing the show down.Maybe a little more time to get familiar with the characters is needed?
  • MarvelGrrl
    Options
    I'm having issues with some stuff that is being left out or changed. I just don't see how certain story arcs can/will happen considering the changes. I have a problem with Magnus just going through a portal, Simon's abduction, and Hodge is some buff young guy now? The way they're setting some stuff up eliminates the continuation of certain plot lines and just frustrates me. I'm really attached to the books which I think is making it a bit hard to just relax and watch the show. I did enjoy the movie a lot with the exception of the final battle taking place inside the institute.

I think it might be a mix of the acting + dialog. Isobel's character is especially odd. Hopefully things improve and they find their stride.