Sideline Runners Speak up

Options
Hello I am a runner for wow 30yrs!! I do very few road races any more. The cost the crowds. But I do understand the enjoyment of the race and the training to reach your goals. My goal for this last year was to enter and run my first 1/2 marathon. I trained on the treadmill. I am now preparing for hip surgery :( I need 3 pins .....But I will be back I am sidelined. I would like to see a thread for the runners who are recovering and share what is helping. I need cardio!!! But I am only allowed upper body training for now. What are other sidelined runners doing? I will be sidelined for 3 to 4 months after surgery. I have a pool but it is not heated. So I am spending time on upper body.
Patsy
Lutz Fl

Replies

• bluelove2004
    bluelove2004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, @PatsyFitzpatrick! I know what it's like to be sidelined, I broke my ankle while running 7 months ago (no surgery). After physical therapy, I've been cleared to run and can do whatever, it's just getting back into the game.
    I will pray for your speedy recovery.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 Drop in and show @PatsyFitzpatrick your X-Rays and offer her some encouragement/guidance on what you have been able to accomplish.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @PatsyFitzpatrick ... I have had both of my hips replaced. The right one twice. I'm 58 and only started running when I was 53. I have logged over 6,000 miles since then and run ultra-marathon trail races... And I can assure you that I am no studly athlete.... you will do amazing things.... don't be discouraged!

@juliet3455 ... thank you!

e7j7pfdot6yw.jpg
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. WOW! Blue, Juliet and Morning Ghost thanks if this was summer it would not be so bad. But winter in Florida is our only time for comfortable road races. Ghost both hips? Ouch! Blue how did you get a doctor not to do surgery? Happy you are both able to run. Enjoy.
    Patsy