Fighting the urge to relapse

Options
hyIianprincess
hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Hey there, I've been in recovery since earlier this year. I've made so much progress, but I still find myself struggling almost daily. Currently I feel I'm on the verge of a relapse. Therapy helps but I don't feel it's enough (I'm supposed to be in OP. My insurance doesn't cover it) I have no support at home. I asked my mom if she would do a group therapy session with me to better understand what I'm going through, but she refused. I want more than anything to recover. It's so hard when those around you make you feel like you don't even have a problem.

What are some things you guys do to remind you that recovery is worth it and to keep pushing through?

Replies

• staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you're talking about, and am fighting that same urge myself. Sometimes honestly what motivates me the most is to think about how much time and effort I've already put in to get to where I am in recovery today, and how horrible it was and how much it sucked, and how, quite simply, I don't want to go through that hell again. Because on some level, we all know that the only way out of an eating disorder is either recovery or death. As tempting as it feels to relapse right now, I know that if I do, I'm just going to have to go through all of the recovery process all over again. There's no way around that fact. And quite frankly, I don't want to deal with that stress again. I have other things I could be doing with my time.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To help with triggers and prevent a crisis, I use my WRAP book. It is really useful especially since I have memories issues. You can read about it: http://mentalhealthrecovery.com/
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I find this is a difficult time for me also. I seem to be easily triggered by what others are telling me about health, weight loss etc. I encourage and suppoert you to keep on facing your ed like you have done so far and staying with recovery. I wish I had recovered and made it right when I was younger, you have many healthy years ahead! I'm new to this section of MFP, didnt know it existed until today and I'm grateful for all of you for setting it up and keeping it going so now I can join.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi hylian, how are you doing?
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    To help with triggers and prevent a crisis, I use my WRAP book. It is really useful especially since I have memories issues. You can read about it: http://mentalhealthrecovery.com/

Thank you for this tool: maybe it will help me