Does anyone have any weight loss success using Fitbit synced with MFP?

Options
I'm just curious if anyone has had any long term weight loss success using Fitbit with MFP? I am new to Fitbit and MFP, so people using this combo, I'd love to hear your success stories for motivation.

Thanks!

Replies

• shrinkingtina
    shrinkingtina Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've kept off any weight I've lost while using both. I think the fitbit keeps me accountable for meeting my step goals, and MFP makes me accountable for what I eat. When I have taken a break from either, I've noticed that I am not as strict with my diet or exercise. Kind of like when the boss is not at work. So there is definitely a correlation between weight success and using these items to help keep me in check.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Got my Fitbit for Christmas, since then I have lost 7 pounds, so right at a month. I am not sure it helps me lose weight, but I do know it keeps me moving more. MFP for me is about watching my calories, the Fitbit is about moving, or that is how I am currently using them. Hope that helps!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I started working on getting healthier and losing weight almost exactly 3 years ago. I signed up with MFP a couple of months after I started and I got my first Fitbit about 9 months after I started. My weight loss hasn't been fast, but it has been pretty consistent (with a few plateaus) - averaging 1/2 pound a week for the 3 years. I still have a ways to go. My Fitbit has been an essential tool. The feedback it gives me keeps me moving and motivated and helps me to understand that I can eat and not be hungry as long as I exercise. All my life I'd been told that exercise would make a negligible contribution to weight loss and that the key was keeping my calories (or, carbs, or whatever) limited to an uncomfortable level. Now I know that I can eat 2000 calories a day, not be hungry and lose weight as long as I exercise. It's turned this long term exercise avoider into a exercise seeker.

My son got a Fitbit about a year ago and while he hasn't used MFP, he lost considerable weight, too. He's very proud that he is no longer "overweight" according to the BMI scale (he still wants to lose more and especially wants to build some muscle). He changed his diet just by trying to eat healthier (he almost never cooks and gets 2 meals a day at work, so he wanted to avoid having to log his food).
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Started here June 2012...Got my first tracker (Flex) July 2013....Started walking daily...haven't stopped.
    Calorie deficit (eating less) & walking (moving more).

qieak5cmzvlw.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It has helped me in the sense that the more i move, the more I can eat. I can eat what I want and how much I want (to a point of obviously) and still remain in a deficit. Before I got my fitbit I was an inactive sloth and struggled to keep myself in a deficit. Now I push myself to see those green numbers in my diary increase through out the day, which is a huge motivation
  • mlapsevertgo1223
    mlapsevertgo1223 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So excellent. This all helps me so much!! Thanks guys!!
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10kg in past 10 months
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It was the breakthrough for me, too. After creeping up to my highest weight ever, I linked the two about 10 months ago and lost slowly but steadily (15 lbs) between March and September 2015. Am now getting refocused after this fall kind of kicked my *kitten* on a personal level.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm down 63 pounds since last spring. I've been a little less active since the cold weather set in, but still planning to loss more.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Im down 11 lbs since January 1st using fitbit and MFP :) all I know is my fitbit really really encourages me to keep moving. I feel a lot more reward now after seeing my stats from exercising.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    WOW you all are so motivating sure can not wait to see some success with me !!
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    certainly does help with the loss. I got mine about 9 months ago, started loosing again in January and currently down a stone :) Its nice to know how much extra you can eat with it matched. feel free to add me if you want.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of October using my Fitbit and MFP. I've still got a ways to go, but I love being at the top of the leaderboard among my friends and seeing the extra calories I can eat or the extra deficit that I create with the exercise.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I posted this in the HR forum but i'll do it here. This I find very interesting...almost like its too good to be true..but I promise i didn't fudge any of this. ALL food tracked through MFP...all Burn tracked through Fitbit HR all synced up in Fitbit for the graph below.
    29hdimfnb95r.png

To the math for us nerds:
    Average calorie burn per day times 30 days = 80700 calories burned
    Average calorie intake per day times 30 days = 40200 calories consumed.
    Deficit = 40500 calories.
    1lb = 3500 calories.
    40500 divided by 3500 = 11.57.
    According to my scales at home….I started at exactly 200lbs and now way 188.4 a difference of 11.6lbs.

Now could this just be a total fluke...i spose..but it makes me go "hmmmmm" :| "maybe this all works"
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    ^ I love seeing data like that! I've been unable to get a perfect month or more of perfect logging, but hopefully I will get a solid streak of weeks someday so that I can crunch my numbers.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Now, that's accurate! It could be just a lucky fluke that you came that close this month. If you just started working on losing weight then it is less likely to continue to be that accurate because people generally lose extra fast when they first start (water weight, I think). Plus, that's probably a higher rate of weight loss than you want to have over the longer term (it's more than 2 lbs per week). Still, it does show that your Fitbit isn't too far off, no matter what.
  • mlapsevertgo1223
    mlapsevertgo1223 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is all great stuff, ladies and gentleman. The internet needs more friendly and motivating people! Thank you all so much. Keep the stories coming!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Tomk652015 that's awesome. Are you a premium member on Fitbit? I can't seem to find a graph like that. It only gives me one called Food Stats.
  • NancyN795
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Tomk652015 that's awesome. Are you a premium member on Fitbit? I can't seem to find a graph like that. It only gives me one called Food Stats.

Nope, not a premium member benefit. Go to your profile page (On the website. I haven't found it on the phone app.) Click on your profile pic in the upper right.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Thank you @NancyN795 !