No period 3 months, BC questions!

Options
So I have had an issue with skipping periods and was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago, once I got back on my birth control my periods went back to normal. I stopped taking my birth control pills for a few months (I suck at taking the pills and my DR doesn't want me to use any other method until I get my hormones regulated with the pills) and now my period has been gone for 3 months. Not pregnant, taken 6 at home pregnancy tests and gone to the DR and been tested. So to start birth control I am supposed to start it either the day of my period or the Sunday after I start my period, but I obviously have no period so I just started taking them 2 days ago, is that ok that I started taking them? I know I won't be having "safe" sex and using another form of BC during this time is required since it's a weird time in my cycle most likely. Anyone who has an answer about this please let me know! I contacted my DR's office and I have horrible healthcare plan and have to go to certain places and the next time I can even get a phone appointment is 2 weeks out. Thank you!

Replies

• UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a period for over 6 months when I came off the pill, and in the end I had to get the doctors to give me a pill to induce one! I think it's okay to start in the middle of your cycle if you're not regular as once you've been taking them for over a week you're 'covered' in terms of contraception. But please check this as I've got zero medical knowledge to back this up!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Agree with the above. If your hormones are non-existent as far as triggering periods, any Sunday should be fine to start. Sometimes, we have that PMS shift, even when we don't bleed, and that *COULD* be an indicator, but basically, you're setting your body to a new schedule.

Depending on how deficient your hormones were prior to starting BCP, you might actually need to use a back up method for a full month before being "protected" by your BCP, which is generally only 95% effective anyway, even if you take it perfectly at the same time every single day with no exceptions in food, sleep, other meds, etc. Consistency in timing will aid your "adaption" to the medication, as well.

Good luck getting this to level out. Look into the previous posts here on Inositol and Vitex, too, as far as helping to level out your hormone levels more naturally.

EDITED TO ADD:

BCP can sometimes WORSEN your PCOS symptoms, depending on what form you're taking, where your hormone levels were before you started taking it, how your body reacts, etc., so I'd also recommend keeping a journal to help you figure out if what you're taking is good for you personally... Remember that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of birth controls, one of which might be far better or worse for your individual body.
  • torayyyskinny
    torayyyskinny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies!