How to do Cycle One

Options
suziecue66
suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
Accelerate (17 days): This works to cleanse your system, removing unnecessary sugars. The cleansing accelerates weight loss by burning, and not storing, fat. Weight loss can be as great as 15 pounds during this Cycle. Foods for the first 17 days include Greek yogurt, green tea, eggs, fish, chicken breasts and low-sugar fruit, such as apples, berries and grapefruits, and vegetables.

What are some of the rules:
- 1,200 calories per day
- How many servings of yoghurt and how much
- How many servings of fat and how much

I haven't got the book but thought this may accelerate my weight loss which has been quite slow.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You need to get the book.

Cycle 1 isn't calorie-based -- it's food choices that matter.

It limits you to certain lean proteins (chicken, fish, turkey in unlimited quantities, some eggs, but be aware of your sodium intake), 2 fresh fruits (from a specific list), 2 probiotic foods (light yogurt, kefir -- again, there's a list), and unlimited cleansing vegetables (from a list).

I don't have the entire food lists memorized, because I only know what I like that fits the Cycle 1 criteria.

You will be eliminating sugars and starches for the first cycle. That means no bread, rice, pasta, beans, peanuts, peanut butter, potatoes, or junky stuff. You can expect to lose 8-10 lbs IF you follow it precisely without cheating.

The first couple of days will be hard. It is low-calorie, but after a few days, your cravings for carbs desists and it gets easier.

You can exercise moderately, and should do so for at least 17 minutes per day. Personally, I had to exercise a lot more to get the best results.

I found it difficult to get enough calories and protein in for Cycle 1, so I added flavored whey protein powder to my morning yogurt. It pumps up the flavor, and helps it stick to my ribs.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    I agree with Donna you need to get the book so you can read all of it and then have the lists of all the things you should eat or not eat. Its a great way to loose weight . I loved it.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Thanks for the info but I'm not getting the book. I have bought too many books etc in the past to do with diet.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Also check The Doctors forums and this list: http://tksinclair.com/?page_id=267

The person who made this list was also one of the participants on The Doctors for the 17DD. She clarifies the calorie myth. You are not suppose to ever go hungry. If you are hungry, you eat from the foods list. The book says unlimited and means it just don't eat out of boredom eat out of hunger. Also the no fruit after 2pm is really don't eat fruit 8 hrs before bed. So if you are someone who wakes up later and goes to bed later, you don't have to cram in your fruit before 2pm.

Borrow the book from a friend, go to the library or spend some time in a bookstore and read through at least the Cycle one section. I am not the type who normally does "fad" diets so I didn't want to buy the book either, even at $11. It is nice to have it handy though, especially in the next cycles. Check for used books online or if you have any used bookstores in your area. I borrowed the book from a friend first. I already eat the same foods on the list but I liked the structure of a plan and counting calories and eating in moderation just wasn't working for me so I tried something new. I found out that I definitely feel better eating less starches and carbs and I love the fact that I can always start over if I veer off course (as I did. I was struggling with something and I am a terrible stress binger but have gotten much much better!)

The fat servings are 1-2 T of olive oil or flaxseed oil. I use coconut oil which isn't listed but common sense tells me it has the same fat/calorie count as olive oil and its very healthy. Its more about measuring the serving.

Yogurt, kefir, milk etc is twice a day. Its good to have the book for this too so you know the correct serving size for which probiotic. I believe the cottage cheese is 4oz but in my area the probiotic cottage cheese is sold in 5oz containers but I eat it anyway. I only eat it about two times a week so I don't see how that extra ounce would hurt anything. Or you can find
    acidophilus powder to add to your milk/cottage cheese or just take acidophilus in pill form.

Good luck to you!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    thanks a lot TripleJ. This should be enough info for me. I am in Australia and my library hasn't got the book. I also got some more info from one of the other 17 dayndiet groups. Cheers!
  • kuhfahlc
    kuhfahlc Posts: 5
    Options
    I used Medifast & MFP to lose 30 pounds and have been stuck with 15 more to go since January. I liked what I read about the 17 Day Diet and also liked the look of the recipes I saw in the new cookbook. so I got the 17 Day Diet book and decided to try and use it to lose my last 15 pounds. Today is day 1. Is anyone out there just beginning the diet that would like to chat with me?

Thanks all!
    Caroline
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started today. How are you doing?
  • Nancyannjurczak
    Nancyannjurczak Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi today I started Cycle one Day one Ive lost in the past with this cycle you know you will but I am a big bread eater good luck to all