Why we chose to lose weight

Options
jtip250
jtip250 Posts: 9 Member
I want to introduce myself first. My name is Jaimie I'm 50 and determined to lose weight! I joined Fitness Pal a few years back at the encouragement of my daughter n law. I started out great and then after a month got busy and didn't include my health in the business of my busy life! Because of that I gained more weight. Got back on the health kick and YEP YOU GOT.. got busy :neutral: as time has passed it became a bad habit to go on a diet and I mean this because my body knew what I was up to and well lets just say worked in defiance against me because it knew I would get too busy again soon. this caused me to not lose the way I thought I should and well I just quit trying. then in October I weighed myself and I about cried! I had gained another 15 pounds. my pants no longer fit me. I was so embarrassed. In November we went through a move in our ministry from one location to another (We distribute over a million pds of food a year to anyone who needs it.) and in that hard move I began losing weight. I lost 7 lbs. in the move and decided then its time to take the horse by the reigns and be in charge of my body. I will be turning 51 this year and I am fulltime ministry. I didn't just make the decision to go on a health kick or a diet I made a decision to change my life so I can continue to have one and to be a healthy vessel for the Lord. I haven't quit I have 70lbs to lose but I am working to lose 50 by summer. I have learned one thing since starting this journey. the scale is NOT your friend! when your working out and eating healthy it wont always and sometime ever show on the scales as much as it does in inches you shed. Your body goes through detox and a million changes we don't look for and give ourselves a high five that we have accomplished that! I saw this group on here and decided to join since we are all working towards the same goal. Since that November move the scales say i have lost a total of 10 lbs HA !!! I have lost a total of 4 inches in my waist 2 inches in my hips 1 inch in my legs and more importantly I feel better!!! I'm not tired all the time I look forward to my workouts and trust me I have had to start baby steps. I joined Daily Burn and have been on True Beginner which has helped bring back mobility and while a broken rib healed it helped me get functional and lose weight too. I'm not trying to sell Daily Burn I'm just saying that its worth it to find a workout that is concerned about getting you to a point where you can challenge your body to change rather than kill yourself the first time out! I know this because I have all the fitness videos new and old lol!! I hope we can help encourage each other to stay motivated and become friends!! :)

Replies

• BrittanyNicole934
    BrittanyNicole934 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm Brittany and i joined mfp a while back after being diagnosed with two diseases that effect my thyroid and adrenal glans as well as my immune system. Im on many medications that I need to live on everyday and most of them are steroids... so as you can guess I gained weight pretty fast after being diagnosed and started my treatment. I know it would be unreasonable to get down to my starting weight so I would just like to be at a more comfortable weight to be happy with it. My problem is I will do really good with logging in, getting exercise, etc. for about 5-12 days and then jump off the wagon and wait a few days to get back on again... I need help staying focused to get to my goal!
  • jtip250
    Options
    Hi Brittany I have thyroid problems also I take .75mcg of Levothyroxine every day and have for the past 30years. I know a slow thyroid is also a hindrance when trying to lose weight. But there is a fence you can get over! the fence is simply staying with whatever you set out to do. I am still losing even though my thyroid is slow. After our move I was exhausted but I saw that I really lost some weight!! enough to get me fired up! but after the fire burns out is when we quit! so instead of "dieting" I begin changing the way I think. Attitude about anything will determine success and failure! I know because in the past my attitude towards losing weight changed and I gave up! the effects was depressing! so I decided to change something.. the fire in my body which fuels my metabolism to work like a furnace even when I'm not working out. I am still on baby steps and really only about 3 weeks that I have been staying with it but I schedule it everyday. If I am out handing out food since I cant work on my elliptical I carry a diagram card with me (its on my Pinterest-healthier choices) and grab some canned food and start doing some of the workout. my workout video I carry on a app on my phone and my tablet so there is never an excuse unless I'm in a place with no wifi. when I am I just do repetition's of exercises I already know. 5 min warm up 20 min workout 5 min cool down.
    just moving helps and by all means count it and give yourself a high five :smiley:

www.pinterest.com/pin/305330049717431868/

My daughter n law has really educated me on a lot and encourages me to keep moving!! we can help each other keep encouraged and stay focused!
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hello to all! My name is Laura. At 58 I'm finally going to do this the right way! After having 2 hip replacements and 1 knee replacement, I am back to where I started a year ago. If I want these new joints to last I really need to get these 50 lbs off!
    It is nice to meet you Jaimie and Brittany! We can do this!!!
  • AlyxMarie1
    AlyxMarie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Alyx and I'm 18. Im trying to lose at least 50lbs... Im joining and losing weight so that I will be able to run and play more with my foster kids. I am always getting out of breath and am unable to continue. I used to be very athletic but about 5 years ago I started giving up and eating more as well as sitting around. So of course I started gaining weight. especially in my stomach... and thats really the part I'm trying to lose. So hopefully losing this weight and exercising more will help that and also increase my self esteem.
  • raulsgirl75
    raulsgirl75 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Michelle . I would like to lose between 40-50 lbs . Have to see how I feel when I get closer to my goal. I'm vegetarian working on going vegan . Also trying to clean up my diet some .
  • tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm tiffany and I want to lose 40 lbs. I really do feel like this is not me. Trying to stay motivated. There is a waterslide fest in mid-July and I would love to wear a one piece swimsuit to it. My current weight is 170 and I would like to get to 130. If I can lose at least 2 pounds week it can happen.
  • fattymelt36
    fattymelt36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I just joined last night so I could start tracking Feb 1. I have a lot more than 50 lbs to lose, but I need smaller goals to stay motivated. So here I am....50 lbs by summer. I had back surgery about 10 days ago. I am not able to be very active yet, but I am tracking my food. Once cleared for activity, I am on it! I wish everyone well and I look forward to us meeting our goals together!
  • hamelle2
    Options
    Good morning to all. I'm so happy to meet everyone! Would anyone like to report in total calories eaten, calories burned from exercise and loss each week? Maybe every Monday? I think it is a great way to watch our numbers!

Dear Melt, I hope your recovery is fast and as pain free as possible! Take it easy girl!
    Hey Tiffany....You'll make it to your goal and look hot on that slide too!
    Nice to meet you Michelle! I would love to hear about the vegan diet. Sounds challenging... I hate most veggies.
    Welcome Alyx....love your name. How many foster kids do you have? Thats a great goal for a wonderful reason :)
    Hi Brittany. You have many challenges to overcome and I admire your determination. We are here to help you get past that 5-12 day roadblock! Oh yea, you can do this!!!
    Jaimie!! I think you are going to be the strongest of our group. I feel it in my heart.We are blessed to have you with us.

Let me know how you feel about our weekly report.
  • hamelle2
    Options
    Hi Laney! Missed you on the other post!
  • jtip250
    Options
    H everyone!!glad to see this group is growing with support for each other! Its a harder walk doing it alone but much easier when you have someone to share triumphs with and to motivate you when you don't feel you can do one more exercise or that favorite junk food is haunting you in your sleep! my current weight is 207 im only 5'2" i have already lost 15 lbs very slowly and slowly is okay with me these days, because the FAD diets I call them the FATTER AFTER DIETING !! they just arent a real life change! your attitude determines who you are and who you want to be! its no different here. so back to the weight! as I have said before set the scale somewhere where you wont be tempted to get on it everyday. your motivation isnt determined and should not be determined by what the scale says. its a mechanical object assigned for one purpose to weigh! we are a living being and we need to learn to listen to what our body is telling us. I have lost a total of 15 lbs since the end of november until now. thats discouraging if i look at the weight of it lol however i have lost over 12 inches in that time meaning the best part my body is changing and taking shape for health and mobility for strength and my energy level has increased. I enjoy doing things that normally i felt too lazy to do. I look at those blessings that determines my motivation to keep at it. i work out everyday some days twice a day. why? not because im becoming a workout junky lol but because my body tells me what it needs. i know that sounds crazy to some but we listen to our emotions and reach for comfort foods that our body doesnt want. we listen to our heart which desires whatever we think we should have that isnt always good for us either. when your knee hurts it tells you it hurts. most take pain medications for it i work the pain out gently and then soak in epson salt. a pain pill tells the nervous system to tell the pain to stop but really it only puts duct tape over the voice of your body trying to tell you what it needs. I know you guys dont know me and we all come from different walks of life and different circumstances. myself i have had cancer 3 times been in a coma twice once for 14 months and once for 9 months. crippled and in a wheelchair told i would never walk again. I have been thrown out f a truck and over and overpass leaving me with a broken collar bone and many other fractured bones including 3 ribs. I was hit by an SUV (drunk driver) while i was walking. I have arthritis in my hands and knees and under active thyroid. and recently i broke a rib unloading food for a food handout. I still get up everyday and work out no matter what. I have a app on every computer tablet and cell phone so i never have an excuse not to do what is right for my health. There is a saying in the world that say "what doesnt kill you will only make you stronger" . :smiley: this is very true!! starting tuning out anything negative and start tuning into your body. Its the only one we get ladies lets tune it up and give yourself a high five for just getting started!! Hope everyone has a great day! Be blessed and feel free to friend me on here or message me. jtip250
  • jtip250
    Options
    almost forgot !! make a commitment to take a picture every sunday in the same outfit standing the same way then you will see a difference too
  • jtip250
    Options
    "YOU ARE FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE"
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi thyroid issues here. I'm thinking of trying advocare. JwJaime what app do u use.
  • jtip250
    Options
    I use daily burn "true Beginner" but you can use also YouTube look up Jillian Michaels 30 day shred
  • laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am struggling to get this weight off! I am logging everyday and am on 1200 cal a day, drink plenty of water and get a walk in everyday. My issue is I see no movement on the scale this is very disappointing. I'm not sure what path to take with my food. I have been eating protein and salads for lunch and dinner. I watch how much sugar and carbs I take in. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    Laney
  • keenanklk
    keenanklk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Laney Are you drinking enough water? Some people have trouble digesting food, if you do you shouldn't snack in between meals.