Protein Fluff

Options
murphyraven
murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
I had heard about it before but hadn't tried it yet. After struggling with nighttime hunger and a rabbit sweet tooth I am trying to experiment more with protein fluff. Has anyone else made this? What are your favorite recipes?

My first fluff came out more like a milkshake as I just blended it instead on whipping it as well. But it was still tasty. 1c. frozen berries, 1/2 C 2% milk and 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder in my blender. I think next time I will bend the berries and milk first, the whip it in my mixer with the powder.

Has anyone tried freezing the fluff for a mousse texture protein ice cream?

I want to try making a chocolate fluff with protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder and milk, maybe with a drizzle of SW topping or SW whipped topping.

Replies

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this, but it sounds delicious!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a "fluff"/ice cream kind of person. I love cake. Proti-Diet makes a single serving microwave fudge cake that I really like. I use coffee in it instead of water and also add a little SF syrup for more flavor. I order mine through Nashua Nutrition. I had one today. So YUM. Also, you can finds LOADS of recipes for everything at theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com. She has loads of recipes for all different foods- including desserts.
  • seattlehorn
    seattlehorn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I MISS CAKE. :-)
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So I attempted to make a protein fluff last night with poor success. I was out of my vanilla protein powder so I used unflavored injury with milk, 1/2 banana and 2 TBSP PB2. It came out with very weak flavor and honestly just not good, I could actually taste the protein flavor. I chalked it up to the banana and PB2 not having enough sweetness so I went to make a berry smoothie. 1/2c milk, 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, a splash of vanilla extract and 1 scoop unflavored powder. YUK! Again I could taste the powder and it wasn't sweet at all even with the berries and vanilla.

3rd times a charm, I broke out my syntrax fuzzy navel powder, 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened peaches, and milk. BAM, finally a good smoothie. Not sure how it would taste as a "fluff" I think it would need to be a more intense flavor if I am going to whip it into a froth.

I want to start trying to experiment with making protein smoothies into frozen dessert. I put the fluff failure in the freezer to see how the texture will be frozen. I am also going to try putting a protein smoothie through the ice cream maker and see what the results are. I'll try to update this post with my findings.

Thanks for the cake ideas Thaeda. I haven't tried experimenting with protein cake yet but maybe I'll start giving it a go. If I can get a decent protein cake and ice cream I'll be pretty happy.

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    S

Thanks for the cake ideas Thaeda. I haven't tried experimenting with protein cake yet but maybe I'll start giving it a go. If I can get a decent protein cake and ice cream I'll be pretty happy.

You are most welcome. I have tried a few of the receipes on the eggface blog and some were good and some not so much. The cake from Proti-Diet is my go-to. It takes 2 minutes to mix and 1 min in the microwave-- def. my kind of "cooking". :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Look into the fluff made with egg whites - you can use 15g of protein in egg whites, a little xanthum gum (or guar gum) - whip up the egg whites (for a LONG time - like nearly 10 minutes - use electric whisk) and gum til really thick and stiff. Then add in a little protein powder and/or strawberries and/or sugar free sryup etc. It has a pretty mild flavor. Use the gum sparingly - literally 1-2g is all you need. I promise you wont be able to eat even half the HUGE bowl it turns into - but even if you did its usually under about 100 calories, and almost all protein. The gum makes you feel very, very, very full. Like you ate thanksgiving. After maybe 2 bites.

There is a guy on youtube who makes protein fluff with diet soda (root beer) too. It ends up being like 75 calories and looks like enough to serve 4 people.