Does anyone have any weight loss success using Fitbit synced with MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    That makes it so easy to see how much my calorie counting is off or the Fitbit is off. I was keeping a spreadsheet, which was a great deal more work.

I burned 61230 and ate 46050, which works out to 4.3 pounds lost. But I've lost 3. That's 150 calories a day. I could definitely be mis-logging a few things - I've slacked off slightly as time goes on.

I got my Charge HR in November and it was off by 250 cals/day the first month. 150 cals/day the second month is a good improvement. Thanks again for sharing that feature!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    @Tomk652015 that's awesome. Are you a premium member on Fitbit? I can't seem to find a graph like that. It only gives me one called Food Stats.

I am a premium member but frankly, not sure that gives me anything substantially different than non premium.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    That makes it so easy to see how much my calorie counting is off or the Fitbit is off. I was keeping a spreadsheet, which was a great deal more work.

I burned 61230 and ate 46050, which works out to 4.3 pounds lost. But I've lost 3. That's 150 calories a day. I could definitely be mis-logging a few things - I've slacked off slightly as time goes on.

I got my Charge HR in November and it was off by 250 cals/day the first month. 150 cals/day the second month is a good improvement. Thanks again for sharing that feature!

I religiously log everything and recently started weighing things like protein and starchy carbs cuz for me they are hard to estimate. I log condiments/dressings and everything cuz those little things can add up and get you in trouble.

I was expecting results like you experienced and nothing nearly as spot on as mine turned out. I was just really curious if this was all working or not so did the math which Fitbit/MFP makes easy.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    I log and weigh almost everything, except I have started to relax about it, especially with some items at dinner. My husband usually cooks, and I don't often include the spices or oils or breadcrumbs used in a marinade. He takes it easy for me, knowing I am trying to lose weight, but I am sure this could often be the 150 calories.

I think the Charge HR took quite a while to get to know me, but I am happy with it now after 2 months. I have lowered my daily goal to compensate for what is likely at least half my logging error and I look forward to checking back next month. Thanks again!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I log and weigh almost everything, except I have started to relax about it, especially with some items at dinner. My husband usually cooks, and I don't often include the spices or oils or breadcrumbs used in a marinade. He takes it easy for me, knowing I am trying to lose weight, but I am sure this could often be the 150 calories.

I think the Charge HR took quite a while to get to know me, but I am happy with it now after 2 months. I have lowered my daily goal to compensate for what is likely at least half my logging error and I look forward to checking back next month. Thanks again!

I usually don't log extremely accurately, either. I find it isn't good for my mental health (or my marriage, for that matter). Plus, I did try to log very accurately for a couple of months last year and found that my Fitbit seems to overestimate my calorie burn a bit. So here's what I do. Since I have basically 2 standard breakfasts (which I just copy from previous days most of the time), I just log some "Quick Add calories" every day with my breakfast. That's my "fudge factor", if you will. That way, I can go back to that nifty graph that Fitbit provides and the math works.
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Do you guys eat back the fitbit calories ( or exercise calories) or do you try to stick to your original number?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yep. I actually joined MFP first, heard about fitbit here and then got one. Been using it in conjunction with MFP since April 2013. It's been a big help and a great motivator.
    I'll come back in a little bit with some charts. I'm pretty sure I have some for 2013, but I might need to make some for 2014/15.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @NancyN795 a fudge factor is likely a better idea than lowering the daily goal. Yes, after logging for well over a year now, I find it necessary to relax a little. That said, I might try to log more accurately for a month just to see if the Fitbit stacks up better.

@brynncody09 Yes, I almost always eat back most of my exercise calories. I find I am hungrier on days I work out, and I appreciate them. If I didn't eat them back, I might never work out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you guys eat back the fitbit calories ( or exercise calories) or do you try to stick to your original number?

I eat back between 50-70%. The only reason I exercise is so I can eat more :wink: I'd find it very, very hard to stick to the calories MFP gives me. I prelog my day every morning, and always start off in the red!!
  • JRenee180
    JRenee180 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    87 lbs lost in almost a year using mfp and fit bit ;)
  • michelleriley351
    michelleriley351 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    I posted this in the HR forum but i'll do it here. This I find very interesting...almost like its too good to be true..but I promise i didn't fudge any of this. ALL food tracked through MFP...all Burn tracked through Fitbit HR all synced up in Fitbit for the graph below.
    29hdimfnb95r.png

To the math for us nerds:
    Average calorie burn per day times 30 days = 80700 calories burned
    Average calorie intake per day times 30 days = 40200 calories consumed.
    Deficit = 40500 calories.
    1lb = 3500 calories.
    40500 divided by 3500 = 11.57.
    According to my scales at home….I started at exactly 200lbs and now way 188.4 a difference of 11.6lbs.

Now could this just be a total fluke...i spose..but it makes me go "hmmmmm" :| "maybe this all works"

Not sure I understand this but I love it!!!! I'll do mine in a month and see what it says.
  • Kudos16
    Kudos16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm KitKat I'm on MFP & FitBit for the very 1st time...Excited!!! How's Everybody In Da House???
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In the past I've found Fitbit maintenance calories is actually a diet for me, so I'm trying that out again now. This will be my first time trying to lose much using my fitbit.
  • mlapsevertgo1223
    Options
    JRenee180 wrote: »

That is SOOOOO AMAZING!!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    JRenee180 wrote: »

Well done, congrats. Nice inspiration too!