MFP & Fitbit not syncing

Options

Replies

• undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I didn't do anything special aside from turn off negative adjustments yesterday and mine started syncing today. Anyone else?

It's not retroactive, though. It's just for today, as MFP is still putting a dark spot on my so-far perfect record by claiming that I was "overeating" on Wednesday when I ate 2,003 calories and, according to my Charge HR, burned 3,383. Not that it's driving me crazy or anything :s

EDIT: Ok, here's a weird thing: to get rid of the annoying thing above, I added a custom cardio exercise that I just called "FitBit" using the info from my FitBit dashboard for Wednesday. When I did that, MFP automatically added another exercise that pulled in the actual FitBit data. So it "syncs", but I have to manually add some random exercise to the exercise diary for it to work. I've confirmed this on multiple days now.
    So I think we have a reproducible defect here.

So here's a workaround that's working for me:
    1) Go to the exercise screen for the day you want to sync. We'll call it Day X.
    2)Enter a new cardio exercise. Call it whatever, have it burn whatever amount of calories.
    3) Save it.
    4) When you return the Exercise Diary screen, click the back date arrow to go to the previous date (Day X-1).
    5) Now use the forward date arrow to go forward to Day X.
    6) You'll have two exercises; the phony-baloney one you made up, plus the actual FitBit number. FitBit steps are syncing over as well.

Unfortunately I had to do this for every day, but I've only had my FitBit for a week so it wasn't too onerous. More importantly is that we have a workaround, which might help MFP isolate the cause of the issue.
  • Wholelottaass
    Wholelottaass Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to have started working as well.

I also stumbled upon this while looking through the "help" section:

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1844125-fitbit-integration-and-myfitnesspal
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1844125-fitbit-integration-and-myfitnesspal

Interesting.

It seems that MFP is still treating FitBit as purely a step counter, whereas we now have two models that monitor heart rate and calculate energy expendature more along the lines of fitness sensors such as the BodyMedia Fit. Hopefully the integration can be tweaked a bit for the new models.
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not synced for two days now, tried disconnecting, reconnecting and forced sync no luck
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Same problem, very annoying.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    So is MFP telling fitbit how to readjust it's calculations based on entering exercise into MFP or just vice versa? I feel like I'd rather enter just my food into MFP, and have that translate over to fitbit and allow fitbit to tell me how much to eat, etc.
  • zengurl72
    zengurl72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WOW! So glad to see it wasn't operator error on my part but frustrated that it's not working properly! I see a few suggestions on here that I will try and see what I can come up with
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this! Everyone should take a minute to read it.

Now if only we could get the word out for people to STOP disconnecting and reconnecting their devices! Apparently doing this is making the problem worse.
  • phillkane
    phillkane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is all well and good if that is the actual problem but at this point, MFP has been inconsistent for almost 2 weeks. To turn the blame on the users who are basically just doing what MFP suggested 2 weeks ago is a bit lame. I am very unhappy with a lack of solution being offered by MFP and am actively searching for a calorie counter app that actually works !
  • neonnitelight
    neonnitelight Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So I was having the same problem with syncing for a while and finally found a solution that worked for me.

This will only work if you use the mobile app, which turned out to be the problem for me. I noticed that when I uninstalled the MFP mobile app, my accounts would sync just fine. I've tried all sorts of solutions and only this worked and has kept working.

1) Go to the MFP app page online and unlink fitbit

2) Go to fitbit and revoke access from MFP

3) Using the mobile app for MFP, link your fitbit and MFP accounts

4) Make sure that when you go to settings > steps in the MFP app, that fitbit is NOT listed or checked

If you have any questions or need more help, don't hesitate to ask.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    I haven't link up my fitbit with MFP yet - now after this, I'll wait longer.
  • Chance42
    Chance42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All: I'm a longtime user of both smartphone apps/sync & noticed incorrect sync values since Fri, Jan 29. It appears to be a known MFP problem with multiple step trackers & is being logged in the Official MFP Ops Twitter -

https://twitter.com/mfp_ops

No workaround or fix yet defined, but I would still encourage folk to use sync, just know you'll need to fix your past records.

- Chance
  • Chance42
    Chance42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chance42 wrote: »
    All: I'm a longtime user of both smartphone apps/sync & noticed incorrect sync values since Fri, Jan 29. It appears to be a known MFP problem with multiple step trackers & is being logged in the Official MFP Ops Twitter -

https://twitter.com/mfp_ops

No workaround or fix yet defined, but I would still encourage folk to use sync, just know you'll need to fix your past records.

- Chance

Correction: Sync errors since Thu, Jan 28. I've disconnected Fitbit from MFP and I'm entering equivalent exercise in MFP to compensate - it's a pain. I preferred when in early Dec MFP would note step count so you knew it was reasonably accurate.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    My sync errors have been going on for weeks now.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In the support section it states that they made some back end changes and are now seeing issues with supporting partners of devices. Please don't unsync and resync. They have said they're working to fix the unintended issues.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Here is the direct copy and paste: Hello,

Starting as early as Thursday evening PST (1/28) some members may have stopped seeing an exercise adjustment and/or steps in their MyFitnessPal Diary from their linked integration partner. This could be for any integration partner and is not limited to any particular one. We had made some updates to the backend that are directly related to when a partner's Exercise Adjustment is displayed in the MyFitnessPal Exercise Diary. Those updates caused some unexpected complications with exercise adjustments and step counts.

We are working to get everything back in order as soon as we can and apologize for the confusion in the mean time. We will continue to update this article as more information becomes available. Please check back for further updates.

Best,

MyFitnessPal Staff
  • jcollert1959
    jcollert1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same issues and have tried everything including a new calorie counter. However, it doesn't have the features of My Fitness Pal. Lets hope they fix this soon. For the mean time, I am using my iPhone to sync steps. It is doing a fair job but it isn't as convenient as carrying a Fitbit.
  • jcollert1959
    jcollert1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I tried to go to this site and I get the message there isn't an English translation for this page. Did they take it down?
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lorcart wrote: »
    Here is the direct copy and paste: Hello,

Starting as early as Thursday evening PST (1/28) some members may have stopped seeing an exercise adjustment and/or steps in their MyFitnessPal Diary from their linked integration partner. This could be for any integration partner and is not limited to any particular one. We had made some updates to the backend that are directly related to when a partner's Exercise Adjustment is displayed in the MyFitnessPal Exercise Diary. Those updates caused some unexpected complications with exercise adjustments and step counts.

We are working to get everything back in order as soon as we can and apologize for the confusion in the mean time. We will continue to update this article as more information becomes available. Please check back for further updates.

Best,

MyFitnessPal Staff

So why don't they just roll back the change(s), until such time as they have figured out how to do it properly? Presumably they have some sort of 'system restore' functionality!?
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else had double syncing as well? I have noticed that my Fitbit is either not syncing, or taking a while and then the next day if I go back in and look it will have have double or triple calorie adjustments listed that I have to go in and delete 2 or 3 of them.