New to group; training for second marathon; Garmin forerunner

Options
WineL8er
WineL8er Posts: 3 Member
Hi, I am brand new to MFP and wanted to introduce myself. This is the is the first time I am training with a Garmin watch and I am dying to have some friends to compete and share with. I have the Garmin 25 and love it! I am currently training for my second marathon in Pittsburgh. I run in the middle of the pack. I finished my first marathon in 4:27. I am hoping to set a new PR. I have been trudging through rain, snow, sleet and hail so far!!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    What is your name on Garmin Connect? I'm dewd2 there as well.

Good luck in Pittsburgh. I heard it was hilly. I ran a 5k there last summer. It was an out and back... And it was uphill both ways. :smiley:
  • WineL8er
    WineL8er Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have successfully made my user name the same on both MFP and Garmin Connect. It is WineL8er. I cannot find you on a Garmin Connect.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the marathon! I run my first on March 6th. I just swapped from Polar M400 to The Garmin 230 and love it. My user name is the same on Garmin Connect as it here also.
  • dewd2
    Options
    WineL8er wrote: »
    Hi there! I have successfully made my user name the same on both MFP and Garmin Connect. It is WineL8er. I cannot find you on a Garmin Connect.

You don't show up either (I stopped looking after 3 pages of "wine" names).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/dewd2

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm veganbettie on garmin connect. :) Good luck! I've been supposed to be training for a marathon but i've been lacking proper motivation...
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm ariceroni on garmin connect! Currently training for a 10 miler in march and a half in may :)@WineL8er I couldn't find you either
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    too many runners like wine.
  • OrionSlayer
    OrionSlayer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    WineL8er wrote: »
    ... I am dying to have some friends to compete and share with.
    Have you found many people to connect with? My Garmin Forerunner quit working recently and I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 230 (@gsh0824 says he loves his.)
    I have never connected with anyone using the Garmin site, how do you do it?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just started using my first Forerunner yesterday. My Garmin screen name is the same as here: WhatMeRunning. I am a back of the pack runner so will not be competition for anyone, but always willing to share info/data with fellow runners.

I am in the earlier part of base building phase in training for a full marathon in October (my 4th total full, but I kind of look at this as my 2nd for some reason, long story). For the sake of transparency, my primary goal is a series of 6 half marathons over 3 weeks in November. So I am not racing that full marathon in October.
  • dewd2
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @OrionSlayer - There are many folks here also on Garmin. I think I'm up to 40+ connections so far. I don't really spend as much time interacting there as I should... There's menu called connections. From there click on Find People and add them (from the Garmin Connect Website)

The 230 looks great. I have the 630 and love it.

@WhateMeRunning - I sent a request on Garmin.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @OrionSlayer I actually returned my 230 and purchased the 235 ( same watch expect for the optical heart rate sensor on the 235). I decided that I wanted to give wrist based heart rate a try. I'm not sure it was worth the extra $80, but it sure is nice not having to deal with the HR strap. I will still connect my strap to the 235 if I'm doing a interval session on the treadmill or some other form of speed work because the optical sensor is not able to keep up with the rapid changes in HR.

You can't go wrong with either the 230 or 235. Both are great all around running watches.

Look me up on Connect. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/gsh0824
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just received my 230 yesterday, and had to take it for a quick run. Did just 2 miles, but it was sweet to have my distance/time/pace on my wrist, as opposed to having to grab my phone or wait for my phone's audio prompt. Got the 230 to replace my vivofit, because I wanted to have something that did more than count steps and estimate mileage, and I don't always run with my phone
  • OrionSlayer
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get a Garmin 235 and start recording my runs/rides on the Connect website.

@WhatMeRunning & @gsh0824 : I sent you both a connect request on Garmin.

If anyone else would like to connect on the Garmin site, my link is: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/orionslayer
  • OrionSlayer
    Options
    Whoops! I missed the other people who gave their Garmin Connect ID. I was able to send a connect request to everyone except WineL8er. Can you post a URL of your Garmin profile?