Getting multiple calorie adjustments per day

Options

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    this has been happening with my exercise calories today...

a few minutes ago it was 106, then i looked on the community thread came back and it shot up to 1466, just flicked around again and it has gone to 121, then 1486, then 128 and finally 1453 it really is doing my head in changing all the time.

Is this what has been happening to others?

I'm curious... Is everyone who is having this problem using the phone app, or are people seeing it on the web site, too? I rarely use the phone app and I haven't had any problems.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    for me its happening on both mobile and web. I have also tried restarting my fitbit and it still happens :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have no issues and don't use the phone app at all. Actually, my phone can't sync with device, so no need to open Fitbit app.
    With no device syncing during day feeding MFP new info - no need to open MFP app either.
    Though I recently uninstalled MFP app because I was getting alerts of days people had logged in, and that was it - strange.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm using the website exclusively. Not the phone app at all. And I've been getting these issues.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Me too. I only use the app. I have tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it to MFP to no avail. Sounds like it's a system problem, cause EVERYONE I know with a fitbit is complaining about this same issue today. I've just been deleting the duplicates but I hope they fix it soon. Yesterday was only two, today it came in triplicate.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It's just that sometimes I've seen weird things (such as duplicate entries for exercises) on either the Fitbit or MFP phone app but when I check on the website, everything looks fine (although, I think that has more often been the Fitbit app). So I thought I'd ask to see if it was app related. Obviously not, since @segacs is having the problem and doesn't use the app.

When these sorts of things crop up and affect a lot of users, but not everyone, I always want to see if I can figure out why some people are affected but not others (even if I'm not affected, as in this case). I guess it's the old programmer/debugger in me.

@GillianSmith2 - I'm not surprised that restarting your Fitbit didn't help. That's the wrong end of the chain of data. I strongly suspect the problem is MFP's end, not at the end where Fitbit gets the data from your device.
  • segacs
    Options
    jessimacd wrote: »

Seen it but it doesn't seem to have identified the issue correctly. I'm seeing the adjustments. They're just incorrect.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Now Mine is caluculating three different adjustments, as opposed to three straight duplicates. So it's two 108cal burns and one 315. This is getting old. Any news @segacs ?
  • segacs
    Options
    No news from tech support. I will mention that my adjustments have been correct for the past 2-3 days, but I see the issue is still ongoing for others -- which means it will probably stop working for me again too. It's been happening intermittently for over a month, so every time I dare hope that it's fixed, it just screws up again.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    No news from tech support. I will mention that my adjustments have been correct for the past 2-3 days, but I see the issue is still ongoing for others -- which means it will probably stop working for me again too. It's been happening intermittently for over a month, so every time I dare hope that it's fixed, it just screws up again.

You know I was reading through the "Help" pages, and it looks like they "fixed" some issue on 1/5 where the fitbit adjustments were backlogged and then allowed to post, I wonder if that has something to do with it, cause mine NEVER messed up before then, and that was about a month ago.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2272192-fitbit-sync-delay---fixed
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This has been happening to me on and off the last couple of weeks. I have to go back and delete the duplicate, sometimes triplicate, Fitbit entries from my diary. Happening both on the website and my mobile app. And I have deleted some only to have to delete them again a day or two later. I have not messed with my settings or anything since it seems that there have been issues and I'm afraid I will screw it up even more if I mess with it. Hoping it gets figured out on the back-end and starts working back to normal.

Have also noticed occasionally MFP is giving me more of a daily calorie burn then normal, causing my Fitbit numbers to skew, but that seems to self correct the same day. Frustrating but not overly so at this point.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Yep, for me too. Been good for the last few days (other problems are ongoing, right now however), but over the last month there have been several days where I've had to go in and delete the duplicate adjustments.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The thing that I noticed when I looked a little closer at my exercise adjustments is that the number that MFP is saying I should burn, is different than my actual maintenance number that was used to set up my goal and to derive the excercise adjustments. Before the glitch, the number was consistent.

My Fitness Pal Calories Burned - 1882
    Then a FitBit Calories Burned - 2082
    Exercise Adjustment - 200

Simple math, and the top number was the same every day, the FitBit number and the adjustment varied accordingly.

For the last week or so, the top number has been fluctuating all over the place.
    1/26: MFP Cals Burned - 2556 - ended up with three adjustments of 337, 337, and -337
    1/27: MFP Cals Burned - 1882 (this is correct) Adjustment of 131 seems about right.
    1/28: MFP Cals Burned - 2187 - ended up with three adjustments of 35
    1/29 - MFP Cals Burned - 2071 ended up with three adjustments of -17
    1/30 - MFP Cals Burned - 1758 - ended up with a cal adjustment of 404
    1/31 - MFP Cals Burned - 2503 (included hiking excercise) - adjustment of -114
    2/1 - MFP Cals Burned - 2023 - adjustment of 128
    2/2 so far - MFP Cals Burned - 2070

So in the last week, only one day was correct.

But am I correct in saying that the issue seems to be less about the data coming from FitBit, and more about inconsistent starting number that MFP thinks I should be burning each day, causing the fluctuation and inaccuracy in the adjustments?
  • secbro
    secbro Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The thing that I noticed when I looked a little closer at my exercise adjustments is that the number that MFP is saying I should burn, is different than my actual maintenance number that was used to set up my goal and to derive the excercise adjustments. Before the glitch, the number was consistent.

My Fitness Pal Calories Burned - 1882
    Then a FitBit Calories Burned - 2082
    Exercise Adjustment - 200

Simple math, and the top number was the same every day, the FitBit number and the adjustment varied accordingly.

For the last week or so, the top number has been fluctuating all over the place.
    1/26: MFP Cals Burned - 2556 - ended up with three adjustments of 337, 337, and -337
    1/27: MFP Cals Burned - 1882 (this is correct) Adjustment of 131 seems about right.
    1/28: MFP Cals Burned - 2187 - ended up with three adjustments of 35
    1/29 - MFP Cals Burned - 2071 ended up with three adjustments of -17
    1/30 - MFP Cals Burned - 1758 - ended up with a cal adjustment of 404
    1/31 - MFP Cals Burned - 2503 (included hiking excercise) - adjustment of -114
    2/1 - MFP Cals Burned - 2023 - adjustment of 128
    2/2 so far - MFP Cals Burned - 2070

So in the last week, only one day was correct.

But am I correct in saying that the issue seems to be less about the data coming from FitBit, and more about inconsistent starting number that MFP thinks I should be burning each day, causing the fluctuation and inaccuracy in the adjustments?

This is what I see as well. I burn about ~2100 calories without working out throughout my regular day and this is the number that MFP has been using to calculate my deficit. This is about the number of calories that Fitbit has me burning on my non-workout days as well. This puts me at about 1600 calories to consume for a 500 calorie deficit.

But, for some reason, MFP is now using a much higher number. About 2500-2600 calories for this number, which is causing my calorie adjustments from workouts to go from 500-600 to 100-200, which is incorrect.

While I appreciate MFP wanting me to be at a nearly 1000 calorie deficit, I'd much rather not.

Instead of comparing 2100 to fitbits projected burn, which is usually around 2600-2700 (this would result in 2600-2100=500 extra calories to consume), its comparing 2600 from fitbit to 2500 on MFP, which isn't the baseline for my calories.

Seems to be a disconnect between what MFP says it bases your deficit on and what its using with Fitbit. Its using 2100 as the basis for how many calories I can consume(2100-500=1600 calories per day), but 2500 for comparing to fitbit.

• WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Note: This thread is regarding multiple exercise adjustments showing up in the same day. If your problem is that the MFP Calories burned figure changes throughout the day

cv3g2gspm60e.jpg

the thread for that is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10325227/fitbit-calorie-adjustment-wrong#latest
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Note: This thread is regarding multiple exercise adjustments showing up in the same day. If your problem is that the MFP Calories burned figure changes throughout the day

cv3g2gspm60e.jpg

the thread for that is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10325227/fitbit-calorie-adjustment-wrong#latest

Some of us are having both. :)

• segacs
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Some of us are having both. :)

Yes, both these issues were happening for me, too. The multiple adjustment issue started long before last Thursday. And seems to still be occurring even despite the "fix" for the second problem that Fitbit just implemented by rolling back the other change.
  • KimiChristina
    KimiChristina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hopefully they fix that bug soon as I find it very frustrating to go to bed feeling good, knowing I had 300-500 calories on the plus side and then the first time I sync in the morning it has turned into minus something calories instead.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I mentioned this in another thread - my situation may be a bit different as I'm in maintenance and have been using FitBit and MFP for a few years so I trust the device pretty well - but I've basically just been ignoring the adjustments in MFP and doing a bit of an experiment for myself. Just planning out my day as I want to eat and then checking back the next day to see if I exceeded the calories that FitBit says I burned for the day. So far, I've actually been doing really well with it and it is giving me more confidence that I can ride without training wheels so to speak...