The Open

Keladelphia
Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
Hey all

Who's planning on doing the open year? Any particular reason you are or are not? What are you doing to prepare (if anything) and what are your goals for it? Just pure curiosity.

I'm definitely doing the open. Though I have zero shot at regionals, I like to have a permanent record of where I'm at to see how I've progressed from year to year. It's also a super fun time in general for the gym community in my opinion. I've been trying to tighten up the skills i'm the worst at by adding in additional skill work everyday the past couple of months (mostly gymnastics stuff), squatting at least three times a week and have been throwing in a couple of additional heavy chippers (long and heavy is where I struggle sometimes). Bring it on 2016 Open!

Replies

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    My box's coach wants everyone to sign up for it to help challenge us. So that be said, whether or not I sign up I will be doing the WOD's.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    I'm thinking of doing the Scaled Open. There are a few key movements I can't do so won't bother with the normal Open this year.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    I'm doing it, but as usual, I'll just be doing it for fun just to see where I stack. There are like 12 movements that come up in the open every single year so I'll just be working on those
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    I'm doing it unofficially as my shoulder issue prohibits me from pulls ups/TTB. We usually do it on a friday night and is lots of fun.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    I'm doing the open for the 3rd time this year. I do it to push myself. In the last 2, I've gotten my first C2B, HSPU, and PR'd several lifts. I have no idea what this year has in store, but it'll be fun. Most of my box signs up and we have a fun little competition going every year.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm not and I never do. I don't like to push myself to my limit in practice. One year I didn't sign up but did the workouts, and I didn't like the atmosphere at all. When I go to my limit, I will go til I hurt myself. I participate in CF competitions against other people present. I tend to injure myself a lot in things where I go all out and I don't see the point of injuring myself in a contest that's not really a contest I have any chance of winning. Also, this year, due to an injury, I'm off olympic lifting and wall balls until May (a year long hiatus from those movements). I am doing a powerlifting comp after the Open starts and the Open would take away from my ability to train and recover for that .

Plus, I can read the internet and I'm not giving corporate $20 bucks for something I can do for free. I use Beyond the Whiteboard religiously and know how to look up competitor rankings on the CF site, so I just don't get the benefit of spending $20. The whole atmosphere of my box changes to one of complete anxiety and I actually skipped all the Open workout days last year to avoid taking in all that chaotic energy. Our head coach has just barely missed the Games the last few years and I think that adds to the stress level.

I applaud those those who chose to challenge themselves in whatever way is in their wheelhouse and works best for them. I'll stick to comps face-to-face against other competitors instead of myself. We all play differently, so good luck to those of you who are doing it this year!

• DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to do the WOD alongside other members of my box who are participating in the open. But, out of curiosity, does this annoy or bother anyone who is participating? Does the presence of "tag alongs" distract you? I'm still a beginner, so I'm focusing on form and increasing my overall fitness. I'm not at all motivated by competition at this stage in the game. But I want to be considerate to those who have been doing this a lot longer than me... thoughts?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    A group of people from our Box are signing up, so since it will be programmed into the week for us, I'm signing up tonight. I'll be signing up for the Scaled (I assume there will be a Masters sub-division) Open tonight.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    I'm thinking of doing the Scaled Open. There are a few key movements I can't do so won't bother with the normal Open this year.

Don't sell yourself short. I was able to at least start one of the workouts Rx last year. the next move was toes to bars. I tried a few times and wasn't even close, then just subbed it to knee ups to keep moving through the workout and took my "10" reps.

Doing that will end up ranking you higher than anyone who does only scaled, if that matters to you.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Hey all

Who's planning on doing the open year? Any particular reason you are or are not? What are you doing to prepare (if anything) and what are your goals for it? Just pure curiosity.

I'm definitely doing the open. Though I have zero shot at regionals, I like to have a permanent record of where I'm at to see how I've progressed from year to year. It's also a super fun time in general for the gym community in my opinion. I've been trying to tighten up the skills i'm the worst at by adding in additional skill work everyday the past couple of months (mostly gymnastics stuff), squatting at least three times a week and have been throwing in a couple of additional heavy chippers (long and heavy is where I struggle sometimes). Bring it on 2016 Open!

I'm timing my LiveSocial purchased month at a local box to start this Friday specifically so I can hopefully get in all five workouts during its term.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I'm going to do the WOD alongside other members of my box who are participating in the open. But, out of curiosity, does this annoy or bother anyone who is participating? Does the presence of "tag alongs" distract you? I'm still a beginner, so I'm focusing on form and increasing my overall fitness. I'm not at all motivated by competition at this stage in the game. But I want to be considerate to those who have been doing this a lot longer than me... thoughts?

I couldn't imagine anyone being bothered! The open workouts will be the workout of the day at my gym on Friday nights. Everyone will do them, just the people who registered will be judged officially. Everyone will cheer for everyone, registered or not. ☺️
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    bostonwolf wrote: »

Don't sell yourself short. I was able to at least start one of the workouts Rx last year. the next move was toes to bars. I tried a few times and wasn't even close, then just subbed it to knee ups to keep moving through the workout and took my "10" reps.

Doing that will end up ranking you higher than anyone who does only scaled, if that matters to you.

Thanks. I didn't realize until after I signed up last night you don't need to select Scaled vs. Non-scaled (like I've seen at some other local competitions. Each day they will post the WOD, and include a scaled version, and you can do either. That's great. My plan will be to do the Rx WOD unless they do something I just can't do and know it (i.e. muscle ups, rope climbs - we don't have one, etc.). Can't wait. We're having an Open Party tomorrow night at a local tavern to all watch the fun. I think our Box is up to about 12 participants.