Any breastfeeding mommas trying to lose weight?

Options
Hello mommas!

I am 10 months PP with my 4th child (3rd son!) and I'm desperately trying to lose weight and tone up. I didn't gain much while pregnant.. Maybe 25lbs. But I had gained weight (around 15ish) before I got pregnant with him.

I've breastfed all but my first and have never been able to lose weight while EBFing. My FF daughter was the only one I lost weight right away with... In fact, I gained weight while BFing all my boys.

Just wondering if there are any other mommas of there in the same boat... I need some motivation from mommas who are struggling too not ones that say breastfeeding helped them lose weight (no offense but that's just not the case for some of us)...

Anyone out there??

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my four month old. I am slowly losing for now, but with my other three kids I did hit a wall with the weight loss, despite nursing them, so I imagine I'll get to that point soon (just trying to lose what I can before that!). I found that I got stuck from around the six month mark, until my periods returned (for me that between 10-12 months post partum). For some women, it's not until they wean fully that the weight loss resumes. I just tried to focus more on staying active and eating for nutrition, rather than trying to lose weight during that time period. My body likes to hang on to the last 10 lbs or so of baby weight, at least until solids are a bigger part of baby's diet.

I know many women find bfing increases their appetite by a LOT. Maybe try eating foods that are more satiating (think more fats and proteins, and fewer carbs) to see if that helps control your appetite better. Wish I had more/better advice, but I find myself in the same boat and never really figured out what to do, other than wait it out :(
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Yup, it's difficult for me to lose weight while EBF (which I do for the first 6 mo.) I'm 4 1/2 weeks in. Remember that your body is storing milk and extra fat for nursing so weighing slightly more than prepregnancy is normal due to that.

I second eating higher protein and less carbs. Center your meals around your protein and log your food if you're having trouble keeping things under control. Last time around for me personally I couldn't add any extra calories for nursing and had to eat at my prepregnancy deficit if I wanted to lose weight at all. When I stopped EBF I lost at the same rate... so apparently it doesn't take 500 calories for me to nurse a baby.

Idk if that was helpful at all. Basically, eat satisfying foods and log your calories, stay within goal.

All the best to you!
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm still nursing my first son who is 10 1/2 months. He is a great solid eater but still loves to nurse. I had lost my pregnancy weight pretty quickly (16 total) but started to gain after he started solids (I did not eat less when he started to nurse less) also some at Christmas and was over weight by about 15 lbs before I got pregnant. I normally eat a high fat and protein diet when I lose the most and keep it off but when I add in to many carbs that is when I gain like crazy and it will not budge. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Currently BFing my fourth baby who is four months. I've never been able to lose weight easily while feeding any of my children and it's no different this time. My weight yoyos constantly at the moment.
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is my third time losing weight while breast feeding. What works for me is eating maintenance calories and using the breast feeding as my deficit. I lose about 1 pound per week this way.
  • rachefate
    rachefate Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I just weaned my 3rd child in the last 2 weeks and have lost 4kg in that time. Doing less exercise and eating more than when i was breastfeeding. Its all about hormones and i am most definitely a storer when my body is under stress!
  • jenredjen
    jenredjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too. I gained a lot during both of my pregnancies despite my best efforts. I only wanted carbs what can I say. I'm now 6 months pp with my DD and am stuck about 30 lbs to get to my pre preg weight. I am working mostly on nutrition and cutting out junk. I use junk as a quick stress reducer when I finally get both kids to take a nap at the same time (this takes a lot of effort for me and the stars must all be perfectly aligned). Also my 6 month old is not sleeping through the night yet and so I am chronically sleep deprived and exhausted. I have found some YouTube exercises that are quick (5 to 15 minutes) that I can do them while the kids are playing around me.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    @jenredjen it can definitely be tough to find time to work out with the little ones and their sleep schedule. I've had many days where my little man won't stay down for a nap so I hold him and do squats and walk up and down the stairs and that is my exercise, also taking him out in the stroller with our dog for a walk. Right now I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I have more than one.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My son is now six months and I've lost all the pregnancy weight (30lbs) Unfortunately I was overweight before I got pregnant so I still have 40lbs to go. I found a gym that has a daycare and my oldest is in kindergarten so I go every weekday morning to their group fitness Classes. I've been struggling a bit lately because my baby still isn't a good sleeper. Up every two hours at night makes it hard to have energy for the gym.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my son, who is now 15 months old. It's time to lose the pregnancy weight. He is decreasing his nursing. So, I feel like now is a good time to start paying attention to what I'm eating. I have about 15 pounds to lose.
  • chicagonative
    chicagonative Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Almost 10 months of breastfeeding here. Whoever said you'd drop weight like crazy while breastfeeding was a liar. All it made me do was eat everything within reach.