OHP failure/questions

Options
dsg2000
dsg2000 Posts: 38 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Hi all, I've been lurking on this forum for a month now since I started stronglifts, but then totally, epically failed on the overhead press yesterday and had questions about what to do next. :)

I've been going slow on ohp and repeating the same weight a few times since my gym doesn't have fractional weights; last time I successfully completed 55, and then yesterday when I tried it at 55 I failed miserably - couldn't even lift the bar once. So I went down to 50, but also failed *there* on the 4th and 5th sets. I know that isn't even a lot of weight, but I'm a weakling when it comes to upper body. :)

So... what gives? I'm thinking it's possible that I didn't warm up well enough (last time I warmed up with small weight barbells, this time I tried to warm up with the actual bar, which probably was wrong since it's too close in weight to my goal weight?) It still surprised me that I wasn't able to lift the 55 weight bar at all, though. Maybe the warm-up is more crucial than I thought?

My other question though was to ask whether I ought to try to do these with barbells (which would mean going down in weight). One of the things I noticed last time is that I'm OK with doing 50 on ohp if I start at the rack with the bar *already* at shoulder height, but I can't for the life of me pick up 25lb dumbbells and get them up to shoulder height to start the ohp. Is that a problem, and if so, should I be working on that? Should that affect how much I lift on the ohp?

Replies

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I find the strength just isn't there... Sounds like that's what happened. If you lifted it before then I wouldn't worry - just do what you can at 50 and the strength will come back.

Warm ups - actually, generally I can lift more without warm ups! Or a lot, anyway - the initial power is strong. But you're likely to hurt yourself doing that.

I am the same with lifting heavy dumbbells so I don't have anything useful to suggest there!
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Firstly - I think 55lbs (25kg) is a lot.
    I lift that and feel pretty happy having that above my head. I can't lift more than that weight for a full set, but I can lift more than the 5x5 (somedays otherdays... well, the empty bar is heavy enough).

A straight, no frills, OHP is hard. It starts from a very weak position.

According to some different weight lifting forums, using a push press helps with a strict press. I know it's not allowed in SL, but... Glenn Pendlay seems to disagree with that.

I can't use the dumbbell with the same weight as the barbell. My arms go everywhere. But, I do use a lighter weight dumbbell (after completing the SL workout), just to have better control of the muscles in my arms.

Not sure if it helps, but you are not alone.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First thing I have to say is: keep on keeping on. OHP is hard. Everyone struggles with it to some degree!

You will always have a harder time with DBs than a straigth bar. You can't compensate for one side's weaknesses with the other side when using DBs. BUT! Getting used to doing it with DBs (at a lower weight) will transfer over to the barbell version, so that could be a tool to add at the end of your workouts to work on whatever weakness might be getting you down.

You don't need to learn to clean the bar or the DBs, although it is not a bad skill to have. For the DBs what you want to do to get them up is to retract your shoulder blades so you are tight, band down a bit so they are resting just above knee level, then extend your hips, keep the arm close to the body and shrug your arm up. Practice it with 1 arm at a time at first, and eventually you'll be able to "drop" under the weight and hold it at shoulder level from there :) Alternatively, you can sit down on a bench, put the DBs on your thighs and "kick" them up into position. Then either stand up or perform the exercise seated.

Warming up is important, but just make sure to keep the reps low and go for feel rather than volume. If that means going for a broomstick then that's fine, too. Make sure you get enough rest before your first working set, as well.

On some days you'll be weaker as well. It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. Keep on trying. If you can't add weight, add reps. Eventually you'll make progress, and then you'll be happy you didn't quit :)

Hope that helps!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i got to 65 in december and had my eyes on 67.5, but then some Stuff happened, so i'm working back up and 55 is kind of my ceiling too.

so one thing my trainer tells me is every time i suddenly fail an ohp rep, it's always because i let my elbows get back under or even behind the bar. they need to be just a little in front of it, or the bar will travel away from your face when you first start it up. as soon as that happens all the leverage angles change and that's like taking most of your main pressing muscles out of the lift.

something else that sometimes helps me is the 'make a shelf' cue, where you try to make sure your lats, pecs, upper back stuff are *really* firing so as to create a kind of false 'floor' right around armpit level. that way it's like you're pushing the bar off against that, instead of opening up that armpit floor and letting the force travel all the way up to the bar from your feet.
    if i'm really struggling with press, it sometimes helps me a lot to go and beat the crud out of my lats on the pulldown tower, just to get them to wake up and fire and get in the game. it does sometimes make a really dramatic difference.

i also picture myself sometimes as a cartoon/sci-fi character - just a sliced-off semi-torso sitting on a dolly or a lab table, holding that bar and literally pressing right 'from' the real floor. but then i know i'm a bit odd :D:D:D

you probably still have the muscles. ohp is a really unforgiving lift when it comes to form creep.
  • dsg2000
    Options
    lol, thanks for the moral support guys, a lot of that is kind of what I figured, but it's good to have confirmation anyway. :) Thanks for the tips on how to use dumbbells, too, krokador!

A lot of this just feels so weird to me - I'm a runner and I'm very used to pushing myself in running workouts, so I know what I can do and what I can't and when I should just push through things when doing cardio stuff, but pushing myself in weights feels completely different - it's like either I can do something or I can't. There's very little gradual build-up of discomfort, so I find it... strange.

Canadianlbs - thanks for the tips, I find form very difficult too, I find myself starting with my elbows more tucked in and then on the first rep sliding my hands further out for more leverage, not too sure whether that's acceptable or not, but I'll try starting with the elbows out further next time.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    about warmups . . . i like light ohp warmups. when the weight is heavy you kind of can't feel your muscles in the same way because the weight itself activates them whether you choose to or not. on my good days i actually do three or four sets of 12 with just the broomstick at the same time as i'm doing my dislocations at the very start of a workout. form is so tricky with ohp, and my shoulders and upper body can get so sticky and tight without me even noticing it. so i'll do broomstick reps while pretending there's actual weight - i.e. i actually engage the muscles i'm going to be using, not because i need them but because i want to see how they feel. it also lets me test my memory of what the form actually is and try to get honest with it.

i kind of have a crush on the ohp :smiley: it's like having a crush on that friend your big brother brings home. it barely notices me, but i still follow it around all shiny-eyed and make up daydreams about it and seize any chance i can get just to talk about it.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    dsg2000 wrote: »
    Canadianlbs - thanks for the tips, I find form very difficult too, I find myself starting with my elbows more tucked in and then on the first rep sliding my hands further out for more leverage, not too sure whether that's acceptable or not, but I'll try starting with the elbows out further next time.

for me it's crazy how much difference even half an inch on each side makes in my press. the closer my hands, the more pec and front delt it feels like i use, so i really try to keep myself honest and at least go for a modest width. half a thumb-knuckle's length wider than my ideal width, and it's a totally different feeling and the bar just won't move.

afaik the ideal grip should be whatever lets you keep vertical forearms (parallel to the walls NEXT to you, not parallel to the walls in front or behind) when you have your triceps touching your lats. people say things like 'squeeze an orange in your armpits' but i like to think of 'just make sure no-one can sneak up behind you and tickle you' :tongue: that tension engages your lats and upper back. and once you've got them engaged you can sort of play around with the tiny micro-angles to find the one that really feels like that shelf has kicked in.

my other comment (elbows in front of bar) was about how you look from the side. in other words, from side to side i want my forearms parallel to the walls beside me. but from back to front, i want my elbows just a little bit closer to the wall in front of me than the bar is. i struggle with this a little, because in my head there's this false perception that it clashes with that 'straight wrists' thing. half the time, when i start to think about 'straight wrists' i'll actually do the straightening by pulling my elbows back under the bar. i think that's where i lose it, although i've never thought about it this carefully before.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I found the ohp really hard. It took a lot of practice and I am still talking myself through every rep of every set (don't care what I look like in the gym talking to myself!)

I found the cycling of the month with hormones plays a huge role on my strength. Something that I found easy one week, will be really hard to push through while around that time of month. I write this into my lifting log as well, so I can see from week to week, month to month what is going on.

Google Ripptoe ohp videos. I found them very helpful with form.

Good luck!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only thing I could suggest is when about in your session are you doing OH Press? I find if I've already done alot of arm work then my OHP is a real struggle. i'm only lifting 20kg(40lb 3x10) found 25kg (55lb) after doing alot of benching was too hard (we don't have a 22.5kg barbell) You could always drop the weight back and increase reps until you can do it.
  • krokador
    Options

You actually have better leverage if your hands are barely wider than shoulder width (I have my thumbs almost aligned with the little bony thing up the front of my shoulders). Also forgot to mention: OHP is a compound movement: your shoulder blades should be retracted, lats contracted, core braced, butt tight and toes gripping the ground. You'll have a more stable base to push off of that way.

And I give that cue a lot, but sometimes imagining yourself pushing away from the bar, rather than pushing the bar away from you, makes a world of difference in regards to how you use your body for optimal leverages. Doesn't work with everyone, but it's always worth a try :)

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ugh, OHP is the hardest! I've finally got mine to 68lb (for 3 reps) but it has been really slow progress. My tips? Do OHP first exercise in your workout. Clench your glutes. Add a push press if you will otherwise fail so you can get your reps.

I've quit the 5 x 5 with OHP as I'm not following stronglifts anymore (didn't suit my body). I was doing 3 sets of 5, but still didn't progress. Seeing better progress with 5 x 3 - same total reps but the stamina lessened. Still hard!!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OHP is one of my best lifts, it just clicked one day for me. Rows and Deadlift are the worst for me!

What is annoying about OHP is it is small muscles. Stuff can go wrong fast or your arms just gas out if you overdo it. You are gonna have good days and bad days. Heck on good days I'll be banging out 80lbs then just fail a set, but then get the next.

This form worked best for me, thumbless, shoulders together, chest up like a shelf (but not so bad that you are benching) and starting postition is resting triceps on your lats. Can also do some incline dumbbell bench press to help out your OHP too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wol7Hko8RhY
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a good place to ask... On several youtube videos, they talk about punching the barbell into the air.
    I can't seem to do that. I think I'm part sloth.
    Is being part sloth a disadvantage for picking up heavier weights?
  • dsg2000
    Options
    lol, vetticus!

Thanks for all the tips, guys, I think I'll go look at some form videos to make sure I'm doing it correctly, though it sounds like I'm not far off. I did remember all the suggestions yesterday and really made a point of thinking about using the whole chest/body to leverage bench press, which seemed to work - or at least made me focus and complete all my sets! :D
  • krokador
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    Maybe this is a good place to ask... On several youtube videos, they talk about punching the barbell into the air.
    I can't seem to do that. I think I'm part sloth.
    Is being part sloth a disadvantage for picking up heavier weights?

Can you do it at a lower weight? The whole principle behind that advice is that explosive reps build more power = more strength (or something along those lines), so even if the weight is moving slow because it is heavy, you want the intent to be to move it as fast as possible. Something about the fast twitch fibers firing and giving you more bang for your buck.

I don't remember the whole sciency thing behind it, but it makes a lot of sense, IMO.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A lot of this just feels so weird to me - I'm a runner and I'm very used to pushing myself in running workouts, so I know what I can do and what I can't and when I should just push through things when doing cardio stuff, but pushing myself in weights feels completely different - it's like either I can do something or I can't. There's very little gradual build-up of discomfort, so I find it... strange.
    This.

Of course, there are running days where, as my coach says, I'm just not feeling it. You feel like you're running through marshmallows and your pace is off by several minutes. For some reason, it's so much easier to shrug off than failing a lift is. Maybe because you still get to the end eventually when you run, it just takes longer. Something to contemplate on my long run tomorrow. :smiley:

• canadianlbs
    Options

interesting perspective. i think there's something like that in lifting too, but it takes getting used to because the rhythms are different. it's about pacing your energy over a given set, and then getting to know when you've recovered enough to get through all of the next one. you do develop a feel for it after a while.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that video @awkwardsoul , I used the tips tonight and I finally got 5x5 at 22.5kg, so yay!