Vegan cookbooks

Options
I just got a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble. I would like to get a good vegan cookbook. Any suggestions? I like easy recipes, not long & involved ones.

Replies

• Sarah0003
    Sarah0003 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Isa Does It! Or any of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's other cookbooks - Appetite For Reduction is her lower calorie cookbook
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Oh She Glows cookbook. She has a blog by the same name if you want to get an idea of the kinds of recipes she creates.
  • Angryvegan
    Angryvegan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree with both above. Another good one is colour me vegan by Colleen Patrick Goudreau - It is organized by food colour. Kind of fun!

Kind Diet was my first vegan cook book and I go back to it a lot.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have over 20 vegan cookbooks, but always default to the Forks Over Knives DVD companion cookbook. Everything is so easy and uses simple ingredients.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh She Glows
    Vegan Soul Kitchen
    Forks over Knives
    America'a Test kitchen Vegetarian
    Happy Herbivore
  • zula154
    zula154 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get the most use out of my Happy Herbivore books as they are very easy and ingredients are not hard to find.
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    zula154 wrote: »
    I get the most use out of my Happy Herbivore books as they are very easy and ingredients are not hard to find.

I own a TON of vegan cookbooks and wish I had started with the Happy Herbivore books. I own all of them now :smile: A big selling point on these for me is that most of the ingredients are easy to find at a regular grocery store, nutritional info is given (use this as a guesstimate before entering the recipe into MFP), there are recipes for kitchen staples, I haven't tried a recipe of hers that I haven't liked, even my mom who is a staunch omnivore has requested I make some of the recipes for her, there are color photos for nearly all of the recipes, they're pretty simple to make and I'm just in love with her books. Happy Herbivore- Light & Lean is a great one to start with.
  • herbertwest7734
    herbertwest7734 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Veganomicon
    Thug Kitchen (it does use profanity though, but the recipes are amazing and the way it is written cracks me up)
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My favourites are:
    Chloe's Kitchen
    Thug kitchen
    Oh she glows
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Nny of the doug mcnish cookbooks are great (sooooo many recipes jammed into these books- he has raw and non-raw), oh show glows as others have said and Judita Wignall's "raw and simple" is a great raw foods cookbook.
  • elaineroberge
    elaineroberge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of most of the above mentioned books. I also really enjoy Thrive Energy Cookbook by Brendan Brazier :)
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. My 2 cookbooks just arrived. I got Oh She Glows & The Happy Herbivore. I'm so excited! I can hardly wait to start making recipes from them.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at forks over knives and they have some great recipes another one I really like is Oh She Grows
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thug kitchen. It's a really good book.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World - the first vegan cookbook I ever bought
    Vegetable Literacy - not vegan, but beautiful and definitely plant-based
    books by Bryant Terry are really tasty
    Crossroads is on my wish list

What I do is check a book out at my local library and test a couple of recipes before buying
  • MessyArts
    MessyArts Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    homemade vegan pantry
    nourishing traditions
    wild fermentation
    blender girl
    afro vegan
    please don't feed the bears!
    hot damn and hell yeah (vegan tex-mex and southern eats)

plus a ton more!
    these are just ALWAYS in rotation. i consider a few "bibles".
    always looking for new friends. add me (:

•IG: veganinbrooklyn•

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Oh She Glows is one of my faves! She's coming out with a second one sometime (hopefully) soon and I'm really excited.

I also just got Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen for my birthday and I'm liking it a lot.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    @MessyArts Thanks for your list. I've got most of the cookbooks listed, but your mention of Hot Damn and Hell Yeah had be intrigued. It should come from Amazon today (yippee...LOVE it when I get a new cookbook). Looking forward to adding new items to my rotation. Gracias!!
  • pkhurls
    pkhurls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sarah0003 wrote: »
    Isa Does It! Or any of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's other cookbooks - Appetite For Reduction is her lower calorie cookbook

Second that! My two favourite cook books!