What is the benefit of myfitnesspal + fitbit?

Options
jgroth5
jgroth5 Posts: 2 Member
I have been using the fitbit app and website to log my water and food intake. When I cook a meal I use the recipe builder on the SparkPeople website to find the nutritional information, then manually add it to fitbit.

I already have a lot of custom recipes and favorite foods saved in fitbit which I would have to manually recreate in mapmyfitness. Are there any advantages and or benefits to using mapmyfitness to log my food instead of using the fitbit app?

Thank you,
Jeff

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    All I know is that when I tried to log food using Fitbit (months after I'd been using MFP), I found it to be very, very, very hard to use compared to MFP. Maybe they've improved it since I tried it.

If you've got a system that works for you, then there is no need to change. But, there are a lot of us who use MFP for food and Fitbit for exercise and, except for when there are glitches in the interface between the two, it works well.
  • jgroth5
    jgroth5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply!

I used MFP yesterday to log my food to see how it compared to Fitbit. MFP seemed to provide me with more information and options, which I liked. I was also surprised at how quickly it synced my logged food stats with Fitbit. I reference the fitbit dashboard often throughout the day though and I did not like that MFP only synced a summary of each meal instead of listing each item I added to MFP.

MFP does seem much easier to use to log food than Fitbit. However, I find the UPC scanner in the Fitbit app to be superior to the one in MFP. A UCP that Fitbit picked up instantly on a box of cereal took multiple attempts to scan thru MFP. When I bring up the UPC scanner in MFP the image is very grainy making it hard to see the UPC clearly.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    When I tried to log food to Fitbit, they didn't have a UPC scanner function, so I've never tried theirs. I only occasionally use that function, though, so it isn't a big factor for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggestion on UPC scan of packaged items.

Most manufacturers use the exact same SKU for years despite changing the ingredients and therefore the nutrition info on the box.

If a package ever says new or improved, many times even if they don't because they made the package and servings size smaller to appear smaller calorie, confirm the database entry actually matches - they usually stop matching then.
  • MrAstro
    MrAstro Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to enter a recipe in Fitbit. MFP allows you to enter one and reuse it and divides it into servings - you can also modify it later on if you want tweak the recipe. In Fitbit you can't enter a recipe at all. I have maybe six pages of recipes in MFP and use them all the time when I do my daily calorie allowances. It's so much easier.

Up until a week ago MFP also told you ahead of time what your expected calorie burn was for the entire day based on the exercise you had already done during that day. This is now broken for me for some reason and is giving crazy results. It makes it really hard to know how much you can eat for the day. Fitbit didn't work this way and just guessed wildly based on previous day's history. I wish MFP would fix this pronto...
  • contima1
    contima1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I modify a recipe I've already entered? (I forgot an ingredient)