Are you battling obesity? Please join and introduce yourself

Options
JECole2013
JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
Good morning,

My name is Julie and I have been battling obesity my entire adult life. My highest weight was 299 pounds and my lowest adult weight was 149 pounds. In 2001, I had gastric bypass surgery, which allowed me to loose 140 pounds and manage the symptom of extra, unneeded weight for 10 years. But, I didn't realize that getting the weigh off wasn't enough to truly manage my disease. So, 10 years in, I began to slowly, then quickly gain weight. I was horrified.

It took some time, 3 years to be exact, for me to get my head back into the game of disease management.

I have a disease that needs daily treatment, just like other diseases. And when I am not following the treatment, then my disease attacks my body.

The treatment I follow now:
1. Clean eating: little sugar and no added sugar
2. Low calorie (this number is different for each stage)
3. Daily exercise
4. Lots of water
5. 8 hours of quality sleep a night
6. Nutrient-rich foods
7. Medical intervention on these steps when I need help.
8. Deal with emotional issues as necessary.

My first step, was to work to stop the cravings. White-knuckling it didn't work for me, so I sought medical help and finally found it.

Next, find the exercise options that fit my schedule.

And so on....

My biggest realization, is that I need to spend time and effort to understand my disease and then do what it takes to management it.

I hope this group becomes a place of tips, support and positive talk between obesity patients!

Welcome

Replies

• Shannon_PAC
    Options
    Hi Julie (and everyone else reading!)

We have some things in common. I have been battling obesity since I was a child. I was never really able to eat like a "normal kid." I always put on weight very easily. At one point, age 11, I essentially starved myself and lost about 30 pounds, taking my weight from 165 to 135 on my 5'3" frame (I'm still the same height!) and was finally considered pretty much "normal" by my mom and doctor. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what happened next. I gained it all back...especially when my mom died when I was 12 years old from breast cancer. I also had a very rough time with my father (he had bipolar disorder and I never really connected with him). I just never fit in at home. I found church to be where I fit in. But I gained and gained...yet they still accepted me. By the time I was 18, I was 265 pounds. My highest weight has been 380. I am around 296 right now.

Nearly 5 years ago, I had the sleeve weight loss surgery. I think I was around 325 or 330 at the time. My lowest weight after that procedure was 249 I think. I never lost my hunger like I was told would happen. In fact, since the surgery, I'm more hungry more often I think. Or at least more obsessed with food. I went through PA school (full time masters) and had my second baby and after that, my weight climbed back up to around 305.

I started working out with a trainer about 1.5 months ago. I am down to 296 now. But, more importantly, I feel better. I am not looking for quick weight loss this time. I am planning to eat around 2000-2400 calories a day for now, which may seem like a lot for a WLS patient, but, I feel like my body is starving for nutrients. For quite some time after the surgery, I ate terribly. I basically stopped eating when I was hungry and started eating when I wasn't full...and there's a big difference between the two.

I also have pretty bad hypothyroidism, which, truthfully, I attribute to my crash dieting as an adolescent...I was diagnosed with it in my early-mid teens from my recollection. But it's treated, so "they" say I should be able to lose weight just fine. Who am I kidding? I'm a PA and I tell patients that too...pretty much because it's been told to me so often...though I'm not quite convinced hypothyroid patients have the same rate of weight loss.

So, for now, my goals are:

1) Diet of 2000-2400 calories a day
    2) At least 100 grams of protein per day
    3) Taking my vitamins and mineral supplements (Since this darn surgery, I've fought iron-deficiency anemia, B12 deficiency, and magnesium deficiency...in addition to acid reflux, for which I take a PPI...which lowers absorption of several key nutrients...like those mentioned above)
    4) Drink lots of water...boy, do I feel better when I do!
    5) Keep working out with my trainer twice per week and also do at least 2 days on my own
    6) 7-8 hours of sleep each night -- and hopefully, a more consistent schedule
    7) Continue psychotherapy

Anyway, I am happy to "meet" you all. :)

Shannon
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Carly and I have been battling obesity for about 10 years of my life. I have problems with emotional eating and binge eating. I am attempting to learn how to eat to be a healthy weight. MFP has really made a huge difference in my life since I joined. I want 2014 to be my year to take control and stay in control.
  • JECole2013
    Options
    Hi Carly,

Glad you are here. It is a tough battle, but with help, we all have the chance at living healthy, with obesity in remission and taking care of our disease.

I am on daily so feel free to connect whenever you would like.

Julie
  • erin8389
    erin8389 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all Im Erin. I currently weigh 208 kgs (458 pounds) my highest weight was 212kgs (467 pounds). I have never been a healthy weight not even as a child at 10 years old I was easily 120kgs (264 pounds).

my goals are to help manage this is
    1) drink more water
    2) eat about 1600 calories
    3) try to exercise 3 times a week
    4) limit amount of bread, pasta and rice

thanks
    Erin
  • JECole2013
    Options
    Welcome Erin,

It sounds like you have had a struggle. I know the feeling. I hope that the things we learn about the disease of obesity can help all of us move into remission and better health.

Sounds like you have a great plan. If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to meet with a doctor who understands obesity. Are you aware of the various medical treatments to help you?

Sincerely,
    Julie
  • erin8389
    erin8389 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks :) yeah Im trying to find one at the moment but everyone I meet with at the moment puts it in the too hard basket
  • JECole2013
    Options
    Keep looking. Don't give up. I can't tell you how many doctors I went through until I finally found one who knew and understood. Have you looked at www.obesityhelp.com There are a lot of reviews about doctors there.

Also, have you looked into appetite suppressant? I have found that it really helps cut cravings and allows me to focus on tackling the problem instead of trying to fight cravings.

Also, I posted a link to the AMA's new treatment guidelines for obesity. I found it to be pretty helpful.
    Such as, 2 lbs loss a week with calorie deficit is the best we can do without surgery.
    After six months, there will be a plateau ... that settles in for a few weeks .. then weight loss starts again.
    That exercise needs to start slow and build up to the point of daily, but not for a while ... 30 minutes a day 3 times a week for a while.

I hope it helps and keep at it. You're worth it.
  • loullypop21
    Options
    hey :) Im louise, Im 21 years old and currently weigh around 252 pounds. I've never really been thin I was fine with that for a while, but the older and bigger i have got the worse i feel and i find myself in a catch 22, im an emotional eater so everytime i get upset, stressed or angry i find myself reaching for the food, normally chocolate. Theres been a few times ive ate until ive felt sick. which makes me feel worse and then its back to square one. Ive have tried various diets but they never seem to work even when i am on my best behaviour.
    Going to the doctor is something that intimidates me im a very shy person and hate doctors as it is!!
    I have started eating healthier and i always drink plenty of water anyway but my downfall is always sweet stuff, if i just cut it out it makes me want it more but if i have it i feel guilty!!

My goals:
    1.seek help (no matter how scary a thought)
    2.get more exercise
    3.cut down on calories
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I have struggled with obesity since after the birth of my first child in 1992. My lowest weight has been 110 pounds which not achieved by any healthy means. I was a meth addict from the age of 18 to 26 years old. My highest weight actually peaked this year at 261.4 pounds. I am having circulatory problems now and cannot walk without becoming winded. All my cardiac testing has thankfully been negative. My healthiest weight was at 145 which I achieved before becoming pregnant for the second time in 2007. It just continued to rise from their with the birth of my third son in 2008 and the 4th in 2010. I have now had a hysterectomy and right oopherectomy, and am taking a hormone to supplement by one ovary. I am sure this has contributed to my weight gain as well. I am currently eating 1730 a day, and exercising sporadically until I am at a weight where I am not struggling to breath on exertion. I am setting my goals at 20 pounds at a time, as I feel this is more achievable.