Anyone can't sync MFP <> Fitbit right now?

Options

Replies

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Carpercia wrote: »
    The fix is - open the app More -> Steps -> Fitbit tracker.
    Problem solved.

Open the Fitbit App or Apps on MFP? I'm not sure what I'm opening...
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Problem solved.

[/quote

Took me a minute to figure out what u meant but yay it worked! Thanks!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    lorcart wrote: »
    Problem solved.

Open the Fitbit App or Apps on MFP? I'm not sure what I'm opening...

The MFP app. I think the More -> Steps -> Fitbit Tracker is for the iPhone, because there is no "More" on my Android. You just find Steps on the menu. You can also do it on the web site by going to the Apps page and clicking on Steps at the top, then selecting "Fitbit Tracker". This is to fix the "Steps source" bug that causes weird MFP calories burned numbers, which leads to an incorrect Fitbit Calorie Adjustment.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using MFP to analyze calories in and out - I just use the Fitbit app. MFP never syncs correctly anymore, prolly 'cause UA has their own tracker now (I'm just saying...). But I do track food with MFP, because their databse is better than Fitbit's. Calories consumed seem to sync FROM MFP to Fitbit OK, it's just the exercise calories that don't transfer from Fitbit to to MFP right.

OTOH if you believe the recent study any burn over 200 calories or so is not real because your body adjusts. So maybe it's better not to sync those 800 calories from walking the mall all day...

Curious what study that is?

Because while it's true your body can become more fit for the activity that it does and therefore isn't as much of a workout (meaning your breathing and heart rate aren't as high as they once were) - if you are moving the same mass around at the same pace - you are burning the same calories.

You just have more mitochondria and blood supply and fat release at higher levels of intensity to support higher fat burning rather than carb burning ratio.
    Therefore you get the same required oxygen with less breaths and heart rate to burn the same amount of fuel.
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Problem solved.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for all users.

Specifically, I log nonstep exercising in Fitbit, and because it's not based on steps, this method doesn't work for me

I stand corrected. This didn't work last week with the miscalculation issues, but fixed the non syncing issue. I'm just glad it's working now.

But how do I fix this on the website, if not using the app? Fitbit is shown as the app and already connected,but I don't, see a 'steps' option.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Still not fixed for me. An outage of more than 3 days is a bit much!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using MFP to analyze calories in and out - I just use the Fitbit app. MFP never syncs correctly anymore, prolly 'cause UA has their own tracker now (I'm just saying...). But I do track food with MFP, because their databse is better than Fitbit's. Calories consumed seem to sync FROM MFP to Fitbit OK, it's just the exercise calories that don't transfer from Fitbit to to MFP right.

OTOH if you believe the recent study any burn over 200 calories or so is not real because your body adjusts. So maybe it's better not to sync those 800 calories from walking the mall all day...

Just curious how long you have been using Fitbit as your calorie in/out analyzer? have you lost that way? it would seem its really the same theoretically and frankly, i kind of like the fact that you set your goal and it just very clearly states how many calories you have to go for the day.

a7aoq78v3v3s.jpg
  • NancyN795
    Options
    GSV3MiaC wrote: »
    Problem solved.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for all users.

Specifically, I log nonstep exercising in Fitbit, and because it's not based on steps, this method doesn't work for me

I stand corrected. This didn't work last week with the miscalculation issues, but fixed the non syncing issue. I'm just glad it's working now.

But how do I fix this on the website, if not using the app? Fitbit is shown as the app and already connected,but I don't, see a 'steps' option.

Which problem are you trying to fix? I've gotten confused because while this thread started talking about syncing issues between MFP and Fitbit, discussion of the "Step source" bug has also crept in. So, are you trying to fix that you're not getting any data between Fitbit and MFP or are you trying to fix that your Fitbit Calorie Adjustment is way off?

For the syncing issues, I'd check the MFP help page to see if they're aware of a problem and if not, then try the standard disconnect/reconnect procedure (if you haven't already). Other than that, you can report the problem to customer service and/or be patient.

To check your step source on the website, go to the Apps page, then select Steps (found at the top of the page). That should show that your Fitbit Tracker is the source. If it doesn't, then select it.
  • teruma
    teruma Posts: 16 Member
    Options

It's a sabotage!
    UA x Fitbit
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's back on track today for me without my doing anything. No idea why it wouldn't sync with my fitbit yesterday. Just glad it's playing today.
  • gibbsedward
    gibbsedward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Curious what study that is?

Because while it's true your body can become more fit for the activity that it does and therefore isn't as much of a workout (meaning your breathing and heart rate aren't as high as they once were) - if you are moving the same mass around at the same pace - you are burning the same calories.

You just have more mitochondria and blood supply and fat release at higher levels of intensity to support higher fat burning rather than carb burning ratio.
    Therefore you get the same required oxygen with less breaths and heart rate to burn the same amount of fuel.

There is a link to the actual study in this article - http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/health/exercise-alone-doesn-t-lead-to-weight-loss-study/article/457078. It was all over the news a couple days ago.
  • gibbsedward
    gibbsedward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

Just curious how long you have been using Fitbit as your calorie in/out analyzer? have you lost that way? it would seem its really the same theoretically and frankly, i kind of like the fact that you set your goal and it just very clearly states how many calories you have to go for the day.

a7aoq78v3v3s.jpg

Just since the recent syncing issues, and no, I haven't been using it long enough to say if I am losing weight. But I also like the simplicity vs. the MFP formula.
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    [

To check your step source on the website, go to the Apps page, then select Steps (found at the top of the page). That should show that your Fitbit Tracker is the source. If it doesn't, then select it.

The issue is that the webpage says I have fitbit app as step tracker and as activity tracker. Turns out that is not true (even if I disconnect and reconnect) .. the (android) MFP app tells me (truly) that steps is set to 'do not track', which probably explains why NO Fbit corrections are being picked up by MFP.

Whether this also relates to last week's 'MFP calorie burn numbers changing every few minutes', I don't know. People were saying that checking 'steps' tracker on the app might fix that, but I suspect there was some more basic MFP calculation screw up.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Problem solved.

Didn't work for me.

Now it just sits there syncing but never finishing.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So, I fixed mine by carrying out the steps I mentioned and the sync seems to be "set up" but the steps are not updating. My MFP app says 8K steps but my FitBit app says about 13K steps ... I've given it some time and tried to force a sync too.

Too bad, I was considering MFP pro - right now I'm looking at just moving to the Fitbit app completely.
  • Carpercia
    Options
    Problem solved.

[/quote

Took me a minute to figure out what u meant but yay it worked! Thanks!

Great glad you all got it sorted!
  • Carpercia
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Problem solved.

Didn't work for me.

Now it just sits there syncing but never finishing.

Any luck since? Which app sits on syncing?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    GSV3MiaC wrote: »
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    [

The issue is that the webpage says I have fitbit app as step tracker and as activity tracker. Turns out that is not true (even if I disconnect and reconnect) .. the (android) MFP app tells me (truly) that steps is set to 'do not track', which probably explains why NO Fbit corrections are being picked up by MFP.

Whether this also relates to last week's 'MFP calorie burn numbers changing every few minutes', I don't know. People were saying that checking 'steps' tracker on the app might fix that, but I suspect there was some more basic MFP calculation screw up.

I'm not sure we're looking at the same web page. The one I was talking about says "Choose a Step Tracking Device" at the top and has three options: "Fitbit Tracker", "Add a device" and "Don't track steps". Anyway, fixing the setting in the app should have the same effect.

And yes, for some bizarre reason, having that set wrong seems to be connected to the "MFP calorie burn numbers changing every few minutes". It makes no sense, but it happened to me, several days after others were reporting it. As soon as I fixed that setting, everything went back to normal.

However, that setting doesn't have anything to do with syncing problems between MFP and Fitbit.
  • heybales
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

a7aoq78v3v3s.jpg

Well, remember that they are estimating the total daily burn too, and the time from last device sync to end of day they are projecting just like MFP.

But Fitbit has 2 methods of doing that compared to MFP's activity level method - Sedentary and Personal (or historical).

Sedentary is barely above BMR - and is correct while sleeping and sitting, so it would be best estimate when it's time to plop on couch at end of day until sleep and midnight.

Personal is historic averages (weekday and weekend different) - and is a decent chance of correct during the day, but obviously you don't maintain that per minute calorie burn all time of the day - so it would be off even more than MFP would assuming Sedentary until midnight.

So with Sedentary you'll keep having your eating goal adjusted up (just like Fitbit adjustments, just not shown) as the day progresses, and if you eat about the same amount at meals until dinner and final snack - probably no issue planning well and eating more if needed.
    That final sync for last snack will be more accurate as to what you could have.

Personal would allow better planning if you like variety through the day with perhaps worse planning ability.
    But then you have to get used to what the difference will be at night that is corrected the next morning.

More people also like the MFP database, even with all its quirks.
  • heybales
    Options
    So, I fixed mine by carrying out the steps I mentioned and the sync seems to be "set up" but the steps are not updating. My MFP app says 8K steps but my FitBit app says about 13K steps ... I've given it some time and tried to force a sync too.

Too bad, I was considering MFP pro - right now I'm looking at just moving to the Fitbit app completely.

The sync time - perhaps related to all the issues and so many accounts trying to sync - has increased greatly.

It used to be if the Fitbit daily burn went up by 100 calories, that instant, to the minute in testing - MFP would reflect that new Fitbit daily burn in the more info of the Fitbit adjustment.

Last week it seemed to be 250 or more, now it's even longer and I've seen 400 increase and no update until midnight.

So I don't know if MFP can tell Fitbit how often to send new info as part of it's sync protocol, or it's just flat out delays, but when the MFP figure does update, it's recent, so....

I don't think forcing will help much, though not sure how you force a sync beyond going through the whole disconnect / connect routine - which MFP has stated in prior issues doesn't help but slow everything down.