Anyone can't sync MFP <> Fitbit right now?

Options
13»

Replies

• GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    GSV3MiaC wrote: »

I'm not sure we're looking at the same web page. The one I was talking about says "Choose a Step Tracking Device" at the top and has three options: "Fitbit Tracker", "Add a device" and "Don't track steps". Anyway, fixing the setting in the app should have the same effect.

And yes, for some bizarre reason, having that set wrong seems to be connected to the "MFP calorie burn numbers changing every few minutes". It makes no sense, but it happened to me, several days after others were reporting it. As soon as I fixed that setting, everything went back to normal.

However, that setting doesn't have anything to do with syncing problems between MFP and Fitbit.

Ah, now I found the page you mean go to apps, and then it is a sub-menu item. .. how dumb is it that adding fbit as a steps tracker app doesn't seem to set 'steps' to 'track with fitbit', but leaves it as 'don't track' (which is what mine still shows on the web page, even though the app says different, and step tracking is working right).

MFP really really need to get their software act together (and Fbit, it must be said, are not a lot better)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Just curious how long you have been using Fitbit as your calorie in/out analyzer? have you lost that way? it would seem its really the same theoretically and frankly, i kind of like the fact that you set your goal and it just very clearly states how many calories you have to go for the day.

a7aoq78v3v3s.jpg

Well, remember that they are estimating the total daily burn too, and the time from last device sync to end of day they are projecting just like MFP.

But Fitbit has 2 methods of doing that compared to MFP's activity level method - Sedentary and Personal (or historical).

Sedentary is barely above BMR - and is correct while sleeping and sitting, so it would be best estimate when it's time to plop on couch at end of day until sleep and midnight.

Personal is historic averages (weekday and weekend different) - and is a decent chance of correct during the day, but obviously you don't maintain that per minute calorie burn all time of the day - so it would be off even more than MFP would assuming Sedentary until midnight.

So with Sedentary you'll keep having your eating goal adjusted up (just like Fitbit adjustments, just not shown) as the day progresses, and if you eat about the same amount at meals until dinner and final snack - probably no issue planning well and eating more if needed.
    That final sync for last snack will be more accurate as to what you could have.

Personal would allow better planning if you like variety through the day with perhaps worse planning ability.
    But then you have to get used to what the difference will be at night that is corrected the next morning.

More people also like the MFP database, even with all its quirks.

But i'm tracking activity via Fitbit syncing to MFP, what would be the difference between using Fitbit App vs MFP App? sorry if i've not gleaned that out of your post above.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Well, remember that they are estimating the total daily burn too, and the time from last device sync to end of day they are projecting just like MFP.

But Fitbit has 2 methods of doing that compared to MFP's activity level method - Sedentary and Personal (or historical).

Sedentary is barely above BMR - and is correct while sleeping and sitting, so it would be best estimate when it's time to plop on couch at end of day until sleep and midnight.

Personal is historic averages (weekday and weekend different) - and is a decent chance of correct during the day, but obviously you don't maintain that per minute calorie burn all time of the day - so it would be off even more than MFP would assuming Sedentary until midnight.

So with Sedentary you'll keep having your eating goal adjusted up (just like Fitbit adjustments, just not shown) as the day progresses, and if you eat about the same amount at meals until dinner and final snack - probably no issue planning well and eating more if needed.
    That final sync for last snack will be more accurate as to what you could have.

Personal would allow better planning if you like variety through the day with perhaps worse planning ability.
    But then you have to get used to what the difference will be at night that is corrected the next morning.

More people also like the MFP database, even with all its quirks.

But i'm tracking activity via Fitbit syncing to MFP, what would be the difference between using Fitbit App vs MFP App? sorry if i've not gleaned that out of your post above.

The way they both project calories burned for rest of the day. I was assuming that both were synced and working correctly for the above description.

Fitbit according to the 2 options I gave above.
    MFP according to the activity level you selected.

2nd half of the FAQ in the stickies shows the math for how it's done on MFP, Fitbit similar expect you could never do the math yourself on Personal option.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are people still having an issue with this? The last sync for me with FitBit was at 11:20 this morning. I got a new phone today, so I was wondering if that might be the issue, but everything looks to be set up properly, including the "Track Steps" fix that I put in place last week to get over the issues with the MFP Calories Burned target.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are people still having an issue with this? The last sync for me with FitBit was at 11:20 this morning. I got a new phone today, so I was wondering if that might be the issue, but everything looks to be set up properly, including the "Track Steps" fix that I put in place last week to get over the issues with the MFP Calories Burned target.

Mine seems to be ok now
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MrsJ1210 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Mine seems to be ok now

Yeah mine synced (sanc?) last evening finally...
  • mom2natalie
    mom2natalie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mine has been fine for several days.