Hi!

Options
Acacia2India
Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Thanks for joining me here!

I thought it might be nice to have a quieter place to chat than the main forums. From my 3 (?) posts on the Saxenda thread I've received 2 messages from "well-meaning" people who are all concerned about my willingness to depend on a diet pill. Thanks . . . but . . adulting really isn't all that hard . . . and I can handle my own medical needs.

Any, all that = group, so welcome!

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Oh yikes, buttinsky much? I do find adulting hard, but that's another matter! I'm on tanzeum which is a type 2 diabetes drug that works the same way as saxenda. I've lost 40 or 50lbs since starting it. (total loss about 80) it really helps me put down the food and notice when I am full. I think this type of drug is good for weight loss because it helps you to see the cues your body is trying to give you. Hopefully, when we are down to our goal weight a lot of that will have stuck. It's not some miracle thing. We still have to work at it.
  • Acacia2India
    Options
    I upped my dose to 1.2 last night. I stayed on .6 for 2 weeks instead of 1 to manage the side effects.

You've lost so much! Congratulations! That's amazing!

How are you doing?
  • scarycheri72
    scarycheri72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for starting this group. - I am still new to Saxenda. 3 doses in. Glad to have some support from others having the same struggle

As for people who share their unwanted opinion...I know from my experience, it's medication isn't something that is handed out like candy. It took weeks to get approved. I have struggled for 8 years to get the weight off. I had a meal plan and worked out at the gym long before I started this medication. I didn't have any success. I am hoping I will get some results.

I don't want to have health issues because of my weight.
  • Chubbybutch
    Chubbybutch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a newbie here because I just started saxenda last night. It took me a few days to find out if my insurance would cover it (my manulife plan in Canada will. My greenshield won't and I know that some manulife plans don't). I had tried metformin off an on over the years but it made me SO sick all the time there was no way to continue it/I never noticed it helping.

I'm 290 lbs and hoping to get down to 220. I don't think I want to be any thinner than that...I like being chunky..but being able to fit into regular clothing sizes and face less barriers would be great. I am also having hip problems and I'm pretty sure that losing some weight would help. I track what I eat and do the gym (weights and cardio) 3-4×a week plus aquafit and some other activities.

I joined this group to talk to others but also to have somewhere to admit I am on it. I have been active for years in the HAES and fat pride movements and this is basically social suicide.

Anyways I look forward to hearing other's experiences!
  • mcspeight
    mcspeight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ive been on it now for about 2.5 weeks.....im increasing the dose every 2 weeks rather than every week.

Today I noticed that at supper time, I only ate roughly half my supper before I was "full". that is the first time ive EVER done that. as far as side effects, there has been a few times where I get a "weird" feeling, its not nausea, I don't really know how to describe it lol...other than that weird feeling there is some constipation but nothing to worry too much about yet.

in the past 3 weeks im down 12 lbs. I have been following a strict caloric intake, as well as hard cardio work outs and some resistance training.

I'm in Canada, and my insurance (Great West Life) needed special authorization to cover it, and they did but only for a 1 year period. It cost my basically 400$ for 5 pens, plus needles. If anyone is in Canada, contact Saxendacarecanada.ca they will help you set up a meal plan, and have a RN contact you for education re: injections, as well as a RD follow up with your meal plans, and you can get rebates for the cost of your needles.
    I'm a nurse my self, so I opted out of the injection training, but I did chat with the RD and should be getting a follow up call tomorrow to check in on how the meal plan is going.....I personally find counting calories easier than the 1 grains 1 daiy 1 meat 1 fat 1 veg 1 fruit they send, but that is just my personal preference.

anyways, if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me.
    Best of luck to everyone!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    mcspeight wrote: »
    Today I noticed that at supper time, I only ate roughly half my supper before I was "full". that is the first time ive EVER done that.

One of my first weeks on the medicine and I got 2 breakfast sliders from white castle and seriously could not finish the second sandwich! I thought wow, that's never happened before. It's a great feeling! Congrats on your loss!

• ChrissyB4848
    ChrissyB4848 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm three stabs in and I am so relieved to find others on the medication! It appears as though I've already lost 2lbs. Currently 222, hoping for 150. In my teenage years I was about 145-155. I thought I was fat.. if only I could go back and smack myself. After having two children and fluctuating in weight from 266(pregnant) and now often between 225-235, I'm happy to see 222. I'm not doing the happy dance yet, though. I feel as though I need to see a good 25lbs drop before I feel like I can start making smaller goals.
  • Acacia2India
    Options
    Ugh . . . I'm suffering some serious side effects today. The reduction in gastric motility means that all the cauliflower I ate yesterday (2.5 cups??) are causing serious indigestion that isn't moving on. I was in major discomfort through the night and today I've had periods of pain and nausea mixed with hunger because I'm hungry!

That's what I get for swapping potato chips for cauliflower - hrmph.

Welcome Chrissy!!!!
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    That sounds awful! I ate a very small piece of pizza tonight and I'm wondering how I'll pay tomorrow. I read somewhere that someone took something to get things going, as to not have the discomfort. I'll check into what it was! Thanks for the welcome :-)
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    Senokot! That's the laxative someone mentioned.
  • scarycheri72
    scarycheri72 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and my gastroenterologist recommends Lax-a-day for constipation. It is much gentler than senokot. I have to take it daily. I just put it in my morning protein shake. It doesn't cause any urgent BM's. No cramping, etc.

As for me, I am on my second week of Saxenda. I increased my dose on Thursday. I have had some nausea and been light headed. I am down 2lbs.

I am almost never hungry. I have to make myself eat.

I am also with Great West Life. Approved for one year of medication. They covered my pens and my needle tips. I also found out that I should have a sharps disposal. Putting needle tips in the garbage is dangerous. My local pharmacy lent me one.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    That's a great suggestion!

Are you down two pounds in two weeks, or since you changed your dose? I was down 0.2 today. I know it's not much, but the neat thing was that I was the same just now. I know that I shouldn't get on the scale all of the time. In an effort to keep my excitement of the medication working at bay, I am just anxious. I would like to be successful!

I'm rarely hungry either. I was scolded today on "My Fitness Pal" when I entered my food. Sorry, food counter, I'm adjusting to a medication! I do try to eat what I can. It's really nice to not rely on food. I wish it were summer so that I were able to get outside more often.

Is anyone else feeling colder than usual? I feel a little chilly at times.

I am quite certain that I will keep with this as long as it doesn't impact my ability to take care of my children. Otherwise, I'll take all of the side effects I can handle.

• Acacia2India
    Options

I am quite certain that I will keep with this as long as it doesn't impact my ability to take care of my children. Otherwise, I'll take all of the side effects I can handle.

I completely get this. I have a little one and the nausea has, at times, landed me on the sofa with a cold pack while she watched Paw Patrol. I'm not proud of it.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options

I completely get this. I have a little one and the nausea has, at times, landed me on the sofa with a cold pack while she watched Paw Patrol. I'm not proud of it.

Poor you!! I haven't felt that badly yet. Just remember, you are doing this for you and for her. Plus, Paw Patrol isn't so bad. At best, it was a kids show and not Chuckie. Hang in there. From what I hear, it gets better. You're doing so well!
  • TheresaTravels
    TheresaTravels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

My doctor has suggested Saxenda & I'm considering it. I do not have pre-diabetes or Type 2 diabetes, but I`m obviously significantly overweight & had some health issues as a result. I`ve lost 80 lbs using MFP since April 2015, but still have about another 90 to go. To be honest the critical side effects scare me as well as the fact that I do not have diabetes. Has anyone been on this for awhile - Thanks!
  • Acacia2India
    Options
    Saxenda is mainly intended for obesity. Its lesser version, Victoza, is used for diabetes. Victoza resulted in weight loss for its users so the company repackaged it, it and now we have it. My point is, try not to worry about the diabetes label - you've been prescribed it to improve your health.

When I was prescribed it I googled it, searched on MFP, Reddit, Web MD, Facebook and read every post I could. There's a ton of information and reviews out there if you look for it - and they turn into good support systems if you decide to start the medication.

Good luck with your decision.
  • holdn5
    holdn5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started today and I'm glad to have found this group! I'm a bit nervous, but going to give it a shot.
  • ChrissyB4848
    Options
    holdn5 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I just started today and I'm glad to have found this group! I'm a bit nervous, but going to give it a shot.

Congratulations! This has been a wonderful group to be a part of the past few weeks. You will have support here.