Finally having sleeve surgery today

Options
ssbeadlady
ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
It took over 7 months but I am going in today for my gallbladder and sleeve. Have to be at hospital at 11:30. Slept for maybe 4 hours. The dry mouth is the worse right now as I want to gulp down some water but am not allowed to do anything but swish water. Should be in overnight and back in my bed for Wednesday.

Replies

• badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    best wishes for a speedy recovery. remember, sip and walk, sip and walk
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hope all goes well! Post and let us know how you are doing when you can. :)
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sending healing thoughts. First 5 days are the worst but it will get better everyday!
  • ssbeadlady
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your healing thoughts. It was rough but I have been home since Thursday afternoon. I am finally beginning to feel better and have been able to drink a protein soup and shake today for the first time. I had to have my diseased gallbladder removed, a hernia repaired and the sleeve. I was in recovery for 3 hours and was given 30mg of dilaudid for the terrible pain I had. At one point my lower number of the BP was 38. I have no memory of the recovery. The Dr wanted me to go home Wednesday but when I was helped to the bathroom to pee and couldn't get myself off the toilet they all knew I needed another day. I had dilaudid until early Thursday morning when they switched to liquid Tylenol. Since Tuesday I have lost 7 pounds. Isee the Dr again this Wednesday for my 1 week follow up.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best, and a very fast recovery.
  • ssbeadlady
    Options
    Thanks so much. I have had a wonderful recovery. After I got home the only pain I had was lower back shoulder pain due to trapped gas. No incision or internal pain at all. I had no problems with my 2 weeks of full liquid. The Dr was very happy to see I was getting in my protein and that my incisions were healing very nicely. I had lost 13 pounds the first week. Week 3 was great as well and that 1 egg a day was so wonderful to be eating. So far since surgery I have lost 20 pounds. Week 4 which started this past Tuesday I was allowed to add cottage cheese and other cheeses, yogurt, tuna, turkey and various beans. I have to eat these food items for 2 weeks. Breakfast is usually a protein hot chocolate. Lunch and Dinner is about 2 ounces of fish or turkey and 1/4 cup of beans. There is no hunger and everything is staying down. However since adding in the extra food items I do believe I hit that dreaded 3 week stall. However I know how to embrace that stall and am doing just that. I also starting riding my tricycle again yesterday and today went 1.07 miles. I am very excited and anxious to see what the months ahead will be like now that I am on the losers bench.
    I wished everyone had such a wonderful recovery as I have had with these 3 different surgeries that I had.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    I am so happy for you! It sounds like your doing very well. Like you said we have to embrace our weight stall because that way we don't just say forget it. I'm happy you have been doing that good. I never let my stalls bother me either. what kind of beans do you eat that are high in protein? I wish you all the best. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Please write when you can. Have a great day and be good to yourself.
  • ssbeadlady
    Options
    bonnie right now I am eating only refried beans. I did buy other kinds like kidney and pinto beans. However I am not sure how to cook them.
    A little bit of background info here. My highest was 497 pounds in 2006. I am physically limited to the point that I have to use an electric mobility device. It took me over 8 years to lose down to 390. I did it with NS and WW. In June 2014 I went back on NS for a year and in a year I was only able to lose 38 pounds. In June 2015 I mentioned to my PCP I was not happy with that weight loss and seeing as how I was turning 60 in 2016 I wanted to see if I would be a good candidate for WLS. I saw the surgeon at 352 pounds and was put on a 6 month supervised diet. I lost down too 314 by the time of my surgery which was Jan 26th this year. I still have 138 pounds to lose to get to my goal of 155. However this stall still has not broken and I see the surgeon again on Friday for my 1 month followup. I hope he will be happy with the 20 pounds I have lost.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    Options
    I do know it is very hard when you are in a electric wheel chair to leave se weight. I was in a wheel chair for a very long time. I am now using a walker and that helps me to ave some kind of activity level. I hope you doctor will be happy with the 20 lbs you've lost at least it's going in the right direction. I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you all the best in your journey. Please take care of yourself. Please keep in touch.
  • ssbeadlady
    Options
    Oh wow I didn't know you were wheelchair bound. Was it due to the strokes you had? I sometimes use my walker with a seat too to walk but the back pain is so severe after 10 minutes I have to sit down. That is why I prefer to bike instead. I have no idea if more weight loss will help the back, hip and shoulder or not. More than likely I will be needing back, hip and shoulder surgery before I am walking without any assistance.