Should I be worried?

Options
AceOfSpada
AceOfSpada Posts: 47 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
I was sleeved on Dec 14th. I was advanced to puree diet on the 22nd and will be on puree till Jan 5th.

The plan the dietitian has for me is three half cup portions of high protein puree per day and 1 premier protein shake per day. Ive been doing well with this. No nausea. No throwing up. I almost feel it's a little too comfortable though. I am not drinking a half hour before or after eating. I do feel the tightness when I reach the end of my half cup puree so I know that signal is working. I've just found myself still having an appetite not long after I've eaten and that worries me. I have heard others say they can barely get two half cup servings in a day let alone three. Is it just in my head? I guess I just need some tips on how to use this tool. I really don't want to mess it up. Did any of you experience this?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. It is common to feel like your sleeve isn't working in the early stages. When you get to solid food you will feel the sleeve. Right now the goal is to keep you nourished while you heal.

Trust the process.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Trust the process. It is common to feel like your sleeve isn't working in the early stages. When you get to solid food you will feel the sleeve. Right now the goal is to keep you nourished while you heal.

Trust the process.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I will just continue following the rules and go with the flow...and as you said trust the process. Its comforting to know it's common to feel this way.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your brain is expecting more, making you feel hungry. The adjustment to consuming half a cup of anything takes a bit. I agree with @rpyle111, once you advance to solid food you will feel the restriction (and full). And yes, trust the process!
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My guess is that your brain is expecting more, making you feel hungry. The adjustment to consuming half a cup of anything takes a bit. I agree with @rpyle111, once you advance to solid food you will feel the restriction (and full). And yes, trust the process!

Thank you! Rookie jitters here lol. I appreciate you taking time to write back. :)
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was allowed sugar free Popsicles. They count as 2 oz fluids. Try those. For me my body needed the sensation of eating. If it doesn't help talk to your surgeon. One of the ladies in my support group started soft foods early because she was actually hungry. Looking at her today, she looks fabulous.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    pennysteed wrote: »
    I was allowed sugar free Popsicles. They count as 2 oz fluids. Try those. For me my body needed the sensation of eating. If it doesn't help talk to your surgeon. One of the ladies in my support group started soft foods early because she was actually hungry. Looking at her today, she looks fabulous.

Thank you!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 12/7 and have the same issue. I discussed it with my surgeon during my first post op appt last week and he said it was OK to have healthy snacks between meals if I felt hungry. Making sure your meals are protein rich helps but it is OK to snack, especially at this stage, if you need to. 1/2 c of pureed food is not much and it is normal to be hungry an hour or two later. Just make sure to log and keep your calories in check.
  • AceOfSpada
    Options
    Robin628 wrote: »
    I was sleeved on 12/7 and have the same issue. I discussed it with my surgeon during my first post op appt last week and he said it was OK to have healthy snacks between meals if I felt hungry. Making sure your meals are protein rich helps but it is OK to snack, especially at this stage, if you need to. 1/2 c of pureed food is not much and it is normal to be hungry an hour or two later. Just make sure to log and keep your calories in check.

Thank you!
  • DebbieL613
    DebbieL613 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 12/14. My doc requires liquids for 2 weeks and then purées for 4 before moving on to real food. I've been fortunate so far and haven't had any issues and haven't been hungry at all. When I catch myself wanting something, it's from habit and not hunger.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know for me when i first had my VSG surgery I had some head hunger this happened when I went on puree foods. I fought that and it has gone away. Like the others have said this feeling will go away when you are on solid foods. I very rarely ever feel hungry now, I have to eat more on a schedule other wise I wouldn't get in what I need in a day. I never snack, I just have my 3 meals a day. Please keep in touch and let us know how your doing/ You are welcome to add me as a friend if you would like. I hope you have a great day. take care.