Degenerative Knee

Options
Looking for types of exercises I can do with my knee, that are not high impact. I've had a few steroid shots to reduce inflammation, but my knee is always swollen, making it difficult to do squats, etc. Running is out of the question. Have seen a Physical Therapist, and have worked on strengthening my thigh muscle - and that has helped. And, I recently bought a rowing machine. But would welcome other ideas and suggestions for what's worked for you. Thanks.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

technically, an eliptical is considered low impact, or a gazelle

and always talk to your doctor and PT but swimming should work well for you-especially if you can find a salt water pool for added buoyancy.
    isaacloo-swim-infographic.jpg
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My knee will not do the movement necessary for the elliptical. I do Aquafit as bet as my knee will allow and Silver sneakers and Zumba Gold Many of the exercises I must adapt.
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've had OA in my knees for 20 years since a sporting accident when I was 15 (oa diagnosed at 21) ive learned to adapt to what my knees can cope with, we're all different though, I can go fast paced walking on a treadmill (not running, that hurts) I can also do elliptical and rowing machines comfortably, but can't do any cycling. If you can build up the muscles around your knees (both above and below) this should help with mobility. Swimming is also great.
  • hope286
    hope286 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recumbant bikes with no resistance, walking, elliptical with no resistance and swimming are best.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Once I'm out of my flare, I'm going to try some gentle chair exercises and maybe a little yoga
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also was injured in middle school and now have osteoarthritis in my knees as a result. My OA was diagnosed about a week ago - I'm 25. I'm determined to lose weight to help my OA and to feel and look great. I know we can do it!

I would really recommend water exercises. I'm doing a mix of aqua and land PT and even just walking in the water is great exercise and no-impact. Lots of stretching, too - particularly of the IT band (the tendon on the outside of your knee). If you have flare-ups, I'd do light exercises and stretches and then use ICE. If your knee is just normal swollen (not a flare-up) I'd do light exercises and stretches and then use HEAT.

For normal walking, make sure you use really good sneakers. I find my knees hurt if I stand for too long or sit for too long - so I've started wearing sneakers while I cook (when I stand longest) and about every hour at work I go for a little stroll (great reminder to drink more water, get more water, or use the restroom). I have a Garmin Vivosmart that reminds me when it's time to get up that really helps.

DON'T push your knees! If squats hurt, don't do them. I do mini-squats in the water and even those hurt sometimes. Work your way up and slowly strengthen the knee.

We can do it!!!
  • star1407
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/limited-mobility.asp
    This site is brilliant for exercises and the section I linked is for limited mobility so lots of different stuff according to type of disability or injury
    Nice recipes on there too
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    We all look for exercises to lose weight that fit, and don't make us hurt worse. We've been told that if we lose weight all will be right with the world (at least I had). I have managed to lose weight in the past, but not my pain! One thing I have learned along the way is how to eat, to lose weight, when exercise isn't an option. I mean really, what do runners do when they are down with a knee replacement? Got me thinking. I found the ketogenic diet. It helps with weight loss, without exercise! But, a great side effect is decreased inflammation (it's what all of those anti inflammatory meds, and muscle relaxers are supposed to do, but don't!)! I've had a decrease in pain from an 8/9 to a 0/2 (yep! Zero some days!!) with this way of eating. If I eat even a serving of whatever off plan at this point, my pain returns! So, I stick with it! I now live a life I didn't dream of (working as an RN again when I didn't think I would)before! I am finally (after almost a year) beginning to add in some easy exercises because I can still produce pain by overdoing it.

I am pals with many people who have been able to helps their own pain (where doctors haven't been able) with this way of eating! If interested, send me a friend request and include a message why you want to be my friend! This is life changing! Best of luck!!

And, ITS NOT OUR FAULTS! We have been doing what we're told to do, to the detriment of our health!
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    Just found out that the arthritis foundation has a list of local arthritis-friendly classes (mostly zumba) that are relatively cheap. Zumba Gold is geared toward older people (most of the ones I've found happen at retirement communities) but are not limited to them, so you know it'll be low-impact. There's also aqua zumba which I can't wait to try. Most of the classes I've seen have been around $8/class.
  • star1407
    Options
    quzzdragon wrote: »
    Just found out that the arthritis foundation has a list of local arthritis-friendly classes (mostly zumba) that are relatively cheap. Zumba Gold is geared toward older people (most of the ones I've found happen at retirement communities) but are not limited to them, so you know it'll be low-impact. There's also aqua zumba which I can't wait to try. Most of the classes I've seen have been around $8/class.

That's great, let us know how you get on. Sounds fun
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have an injured knee as well. I have just found a you tube video series from Launch Pad that is a seated chair exercise for obese or limeade mobility. Yeah, I hate the "O" word too but that's the way it's listed. I tried it out one day and if you put a little effort into it you can work up a sweat. Give it a try.
  • star1407
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have a look at flexi ladies yoga on YouTube. She's brilliant, nice gentle yoga for people with pain and her voice is super soothing
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    Options
    hi, new to the group, but glad I found you all. I have femoral/patellar knee pain and arthritis, plus I have Haglund's deformity and achillies' tendonitis. So I have to do a LOT of modifying exercises for my small group classes at the gym. I don't find zumba to be good for my particular joint problems at all. TRX exercises allow you to change the angle of your body to increase or decrease resistance as you need it. Any time there is running, I do a fast walk, if there is jumping, I do marching or a step up. For jump squats, I do a squat and then lift each knee as high as I can one at at time. There are always low or zero impact mods you can use. If you go to a gym that has personal training, you may want to consider a few sessions with one, with the goal of finding exercises for you that won't do more damage.
  • linnellal
    Options
    I've been going to physical therapy for my left knee and they have assigned me some exercises. My problem is that the exercises irritate the knee and cause pain. Ten minutes after the exercises I'm crying from pain. I'm going to have to have a talk with them because they want me to do these twice a day and it's all I can do to force myself to do them once a day. My body is saying NO! I can physically do them, I just can't take the aftermath.
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    Please talk to your therapist!!! It should be difficult, but not painful. I'm in my last week of therapy and it's definitely helping me. I hope that you can adjust your exercises to start helping you.
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    Options
    linnellal, therapy doesn't always help. do talk to your PT, but also talk to an orthopedic surgeon again too. don't ignore it and don't let docs push your concerns aside under the "well you are obese, so what do you expect?" umbrella. I get cortisone shots and i am working to try to get synvisc from my insurance company.
  • linnellal
    Options
    I've had both cortisone and synvisc with little success. But I know what you mean about not letting the orthopedic surgeons push you around. My word, but some of them think that they are god. I go to Physical Therapy tomorrow and I'm going to lay it on the line. I'm not doing the knee exercises. They aggravate what is wrong with the knee. I appreciate that they are trying to build the muscles around the joint, but when the joint can't take the weight, their is little good to strengthening those muscles now. If I had proper pain management, maybe. But today was a very bad day for pain physically and mentally. I don't want to go through this much longer.
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    Options
    does it hurt if you sit with your leg out almost straight and just tighten up the quad muscle, without actually moving anything? Isometrics, while slower than dynamic exercise, can help build muscle without putting strain on the joint. This will help you recover from your upcoming surgery. (In case you are wondering why I think I am qualified to talk about it, I was a massage therapist.). I am doing isometrics now to build up the muscles around my knee.
  • Terriers007
    Terriers007 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group and am bone-on-bone with my left knee. Just finished receiving a series of three gel shots. Also recuperating from reverse shoulder replacement surgery. Next Wednesday is five months since surgery. I love the elliptical machine, treadmill, arm bicycle, bicycle, and I work on two different types of rowing machines where I took my physical therapy. I threw my back out by lifting a container of mortar into and out of my car. Epidurals scheduled Wednesday. I'm a mess. Bought Garmen VivoFit 2 and learning how to use it for customizing my activities. Looking into low impact aerobics.