Any women get pregnant 18 months after their sleeve?

Options
lbrown1428
lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
Just found out I'm pregnant. I had my surgery September 12, 2014. I'm between 5-7 weeks along now. Wasn't trying but it happened. I'm 5ft tall and have stayed at 146lbs since I stopped loosing. Hoping to continue eating healthy and not gain much. Do I continue taking all my normal vitamins? I'm contacting my surgeons office this week to ask them as well. Thanks!

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had RNY and I'm not 18 months out yet, but we have considered from the start that we might want a third child so I looked into this from the start.

The good news is, at least by my surgeon's "rules", you're in a good window for pregnancy. There is some correlation to higher cesarean section rates in women that have had weight loss surgery, but fewer overall weight related complications.

My midwife said that if I did get pregnant (at any point) that she'd want to see me sooner rather than later and that we'd do some extra monitoring. Be prepared for your OB do give you a referral to a high risk OB if they aren't familiar with managing a post-VSG pregnancy.

Last, remember that the closer you are to a healthy weight, the more it is expected to gain...25-40 pounds I believe is still expected for someone of normal weight. Eat right and exercise...your body will do the rest.
  • lbrown1428
    Options
    Okay thank you for the info. I don't have an appt for a month but also didn't tell them I've had weight loss surgery. I will be a repeat c-section anyways I've had 2 already. I will call my dr tomorrow and let them know about my surgery also.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would also call your bariatric surgeon- they may have a different vitamin regimen they want you to go on for the duration of your pregnancy that goes above and beyond "Make sure you're taking a prenatal with folic acid". That was one of the big things my surgeon drilled into me pre-op: Avoid pregnancy for at least 15 months post op, but if you do find yourself pregnant, call us ASAP so we can make sure you're meeting the vitamin and nutrition needs for yourself and your baby"
  • lbrown1428
    Options
    Okay I will defiantly call them tomorrow and see what they tell me. Thank you!