Stomach issues

Options
kmbrooks15
kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
I just started Metformin Wednesday; I'm only at 500 mg and am supposed to bump to 1000 mg this Wednesday. I also dramatically changed my diet the same day I started the Metformin. The good news is that I've dropped 6.5 pounds (I know that will slow down, but it's a great motivator to start out). The bad news is that I sometimes feel my stomach start to gurgle and have to make a MAD DASH to the bathroom. Just wondering if anybody else had this issue and did it pass as your body adjusted? Am I reacting to the drastic change in diet, the medication, or both?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had to drop my carbs below 40 total grams per day AND avoid dairy 2-4 hours on either side of Metformin to get that particular reaction to ease up. Everyone is different, though. I'd look for triggers in timing. I also found out that body did not like having coconut oil and vinegar within a couple hours of each other or I'd have similar 100-yard dash scenarios, but I also do not have a gallbladder (out in late 2000), so I attributed it do something else there as the trigger. Too much fasting (my body just creates a steady amount of bile, whether I eat or not, due to the no-gallbladder thing, and so it can create a not fun reaction there) has a similar reaction... I honestly figured I was the exception and just weird as normal for me.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I don't have my gallbladder either. I wonder about the dairy. I'm using almond milk, but I am eating yogurt and cheese, so that could be an issue. The only thing I use coconut oil for is my skin, so no worries there! :)

I have noticed that my stomach will start to hurt, but if I eat something, it stops hurting. Doesn't even have to be a lot--just a small apple or some nuts and it stops.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try to see if timing has anything to do with certain foods. That could be the culprit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And try mixing things up, too. Maybe if you have the yogurt or not the cheese - or the cheese but not the yogurt, or nuts with the cheese might mitigate the reaction, etc.

I just know personally from research and experience (that of myself and others) that dairy is a trigger as are carbs in general - as well as a specific level of them (individually determined)...
  • andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Metformin can definitely cause digestion issues. That's why they are having you build up your dosage. If it is the medicine, it should improve. Hopefully the doctor put you on the ER version but if not I would definitely discuss being switched to that as it helps reduce side effects.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    the week i started Metformin, i also started out at 500 mg and then went up to 1,000 mg the following week. the first two days i had a bit of gastric distress; however, after that no issues really. i'm on 1,500 mg now and the switch from 1,000 to 1,500 was no issue. most likely going to be at 2,000 mg in April after my next appointment.