Advice Needed (Missed training from illness)

Options
moominpoo
moominpoo Posts: 31 Member
I have a HM in 3 weeks time and haven't done a long run for the past two weeks due to having a bad case of flu and laryngitis.

I would've been up to 10 miles yesterday but as it was my first run since the virus cleared up I didn't dare cover a long distance and just did 5K.

How would you suggest that I made up for being ill over the next couple of weeks? I am so worried about messing it up as it's my first long race since having a baby 18 months ago. I was absolutely loving training again and felt fitter than I ever did before :neutral: I could run 10 miles this weekend but then I would need to taper the following one the week before my race. I somehow can't justify only running 10 miles before my HM! I am not a fast runner and my target time is 2hrs 20 min.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated - thanks in advance!

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Standard training plans are out the window in this situation. Forget the taper for this race. The point of the taper is to give your body a chance to heal up from the minor aches and pains that you don't even notice while training hard; you did that the hard way, while resting for illness. Now your mission is to come back from the illness and get into the running groove again.

You need to build up the mileage, and peak on race day. It reminds me of my second half marathon, when I was coming back from a stress fracture of my metatarsals. I ran everything easy, no speed work. I slowly built my long run mileage up, and got to 10 miles a week before the half. I had no taper, because I had no hard training. Then I went out and ran the half at a deliberately slower pace than my first one, and still had to slow down after mile 9 for the recovering foot; but I finished and I felt good afterward. Six halfs later, that remains my slowest half marathon; but if I were to change anything about it, it would be to run it even slower.

Only running 10 miles before the half is fine physiologically. If it's your first half, it could be a mental challenge; but if you've run a half before, you already know you can go the distance. Treat your body gently. You can't get to the finish line if you don't get to the start line.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hard to give advice in this situation without a little more information on what your training was looking like up until the point that you got sick. How many miles per week were you running? What types of runs and how often? What was your longest run? I tend to agree with @MobyCarp in this situation. You probably will benefit more from adding in the long runs and minimizing your taper, but if you can give some more info on your training and running history, you will probably get more sound advice.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Given what we know, I would also agree with @MobyCarp 's advice.
  • moominpoo
    moominpoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone- I will probably try and fit in two more long runs in that case! I had been training 3 x per week. One speed session , one short-medium run, and one long. It is my third HM but not done one for a few years!