How do you track your runs?

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Keen to get recommendations on cheap sports watches. But also (and for me more importantly)
for those of you who run with a smartphone rather than a sports watch, what phones have great battery life? I've had a s4 mini for nearly 2.5 years but the battery is increasingly rubbish and I need a new phone for a lot of reasons. I'm not a Samsung devotee so also looking at iPhone or Sony - battery life is a top priority plus don't want anything too enormous in size!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 920 xt now but there are lots of cheaper Garmins that a great. Or you can buy second hand, which I've done before too.

I did use my iPhone for awhile before I got my last Garmin with MapMyRun. I was overall pretty happy with it and succesfully used it for runs longer than 2.5 hours with no issues. I don't think I went past there and can't remember what kind of percent life I had left. One of the keys to saving battery is to lock the screen after starting.
    The downside to that is if you want to get the info, you have to unlock the screen (not a big deal if you don't have a passcode but you do still have to swipe on the iPhone). I just got to the point where I wanted the info while I was running and it was a pain since I was wearing my iPhone on my arm or would have to carry it in my hand. For some, that's not an issue. If you aren't doing target paces and don't really look at the info until after the run, it works just fine.

Also, MapMyRun (and other apps) have voice feedback at intervals you choose which I used. That does affect battery life but I was using that for my 2+ hour runs.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I timed myself with my wristwatch, remembered where I ran, and got distance by using an internet mapping site. As you can imagine, that got pretty old.

This was the spur to get my first smart phone, an iPhone 5. I looked at several free running apps, and settled on RunKeeper as the best balance of accuracy and battery life at the time I looked. Apps change all the time, so no guarantee this is still true.

I was happy with RunKeeper for quite a while. Two things motivated me to get a GPS watch: 1. In a couple of races, I muffed starting RunKeeper at the gun. It's not practical to operate a touch screen iPhone while running. 2. In training for my first half marathon, the coaches had us do some intervals that weren't practical using RunKeeper. If they gave us 4 minutes hard and 2 minutes easy, no problem. When they gave us 800m hard and 2 minutes easy, it was tough. When they gave us intervals that were specifically marked distances on a course, it was impossible.

I got a Garmin 620, new, because I thought if I went lower end I'd be unhappy in a year. It's now almost 2 years later, and I'm still happy with the 620. But now the newer models are out, and you should be able to get a used 620 much cheaper than I got mine new.

Fair warning: One of the trends in GPS watches is to add features that reduce accuracy. A running buddy of mine got a used Garmin 610 for his wife, the same model he uses. He did his research and concluded the footpod that the 610 uses is more accurate than the cadence measurement included in the watch with the 620. I got a chest strap heart rate monitor with the 620; the 630 measures heart rate from the wrist. Reviews say that's less accurate than the chest strap, but the killer point for me is that in the winter I need my watch on the outside of all the layers; and how will it detect a heart rate at all through three layers of sleeves?

I'd recommend going with Garmin. If you need to go cheap, go with a used older model. The important thing is, Garmin is big enough and standard enough that you can get the data into just about any tracking system. Some are pretty easy; I can have Garmin Connect automatically send my runs to Strava. Others are more challenging; I have to manually import my runs to Daily Mile.

For features, look at reviews on DC Rainmakers's web site. He writes pretty detailed reviews that are so good I could tell how to work the 620 before I ever saw one physically. From his reviews, you should be able to tell whether a GPS watch has what you're looking for or is loaded with stuff you don't care about.
  • S_Marc
    S_Marc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The runkeeper app works great (and also automatically transfers all your runs in to MFP) The battery on any new phone would be fine and much better than your old one. The sony experia z5 compact is meant to have a particularly good battery life - and i think it's splash proof. good luck!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to use Map My Run on my phone, but it wasn't super accurate and killed my battery (iPhone 4S). I know a lot of people really like Strava for GPS and tracking. I know the Samsung Galaxy/Galaxy Edge have crazy good battery life. Before I upgraded my iPhone for a 6, I thought about getting the Edge just because of the amazing battery life, but I just couldn't afford it.

PS: I'm not sure what a cheap sports watch means for you, but if you have ~$100 to spend, you can get a Garmin Forerunner 15 that will do distance, pace, time, etc. Just not some of the fancier data that others might track, but definitely all the most important details. If you keep your eye out for deals on Amazon, running warehouse.com, and other such sites you can get one from $70-100 I bet.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I use vivosmart and runkeeper. I like them. It world for me. The vivosmart works with MFP tracking exercise, steps, and calories
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I still use MapmyRun and my Iphone 5- I hope someday my mileage is so epic that battery life will be a concern! ;)
  • Lance6142014
    Lance6142014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use google maps to map out the distance. Then I time my run. It is an annoying in the beginning, but once you establish a routine, it is not a problem
  • sweetgal2301
    sweetgal2301 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you do this with fitbit? I have the surge and myfitnesspal takes the miles I walk/run as exercise, but there is no other indication.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used phone apps but after a couple of months I found a Forerunner 305 on Craigslist for $45. Even though that GPS came out years ago, it still has a lot to offer for a runner and is FAR better than using an app. Far better because the GPS on my phone was not very good (it would often come up with stray points that had me running across a lake and back), the GPS on my phone drained the battery too fast, and I much prefer having everything on my wrist. The 305 is also better suited for the elements.

Last week I had another nice score on a used GPS watch. I picked up the Garmin Forerunner 220 for $60. Granted, it's the purple one, but I really have no care about that.

If Craigslist covers your area, check it out. To get the deals I did, I was watching for several weeks, but even now I find the 220 for $100.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used my garmin forerunner 15 for 1.5 years; it is a wonderful entry level running watch! They're around $120 new on amazon. I recently upgraded to the 235 because the 15 didn't have everything I wanted, and I have to say that I love the 235!
  • catsrule308
    catsrule308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use a free app called runkeeper, it gives voice intervals as well
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Garmin 220 here!

If your not quite ready to upgrade phones, ypu can buy new batteries for a couple bycks each on amazon or ebay. That should help!

I have the s5mini and love it!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used runtastic on my phone. Then I got a Garmin FR-10. Then I upgraded to a Garmin FR-220 and that is what I use now. I upload and track my runs to Garmin Connect, Strava, and Running Ahead.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin FR10. It's simple and does the job.
    Does anyone else use smashrun to track their data?
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I only had internet at the university, not at home, and definitely no GPS watch either. I tracked my run distance with an actual paper map, by modelling my route with a piece of yarn, which I then compared to the map's scale. :D

Then I did the "wristwatch + online mapping site" solution until the end of 2014, where my runs started getting more frequent and longer and I decided to invest in a GPS watch. I got the TomTom Runner Cardio, which was one of the few watches at that time which could do heart rate measurements without a chest strap. When I connect it to the computer, it synchs with Strava; and then I manually upload the file to runningahead as well.

Now I actually sort off use my phone (also an s4 mini) in parallel - I'm running with the Zombies, Run app, which tracks the runs as well. I don't use that as my main way of logging my runs, but it's a nice backup for those times when I realise 30 mins into the run that I forgot to start the watch, which happens to me about once per month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Garmin FR230 and Garmin connect synced with runkeeper, synced with myfitnesspal
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper and Polar HRM with chest strap, synced with MFP. It's a pretty big drain on my phone's battery (plus I run Pandora), which is awful anyway (Galaxy S5).
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Had been using Samsung Galaxy phone, Wahoo Tickr X HRM, Strava and Endomondo, but recently switched to a Garmin Forerunner 630 with HRM. Couldn't be happier.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Started off with using free apps (MapMyRun, Runtastic, etc) on my iPhone. Then I purchased a Garmin Forerunner. Used the 620 for a few years and just upgraded to the Garmin Forerunner 630. To @MobyCarp point about the 630 and wrist based HR, that is not accurate. There are no optical sensors on it. It uses a chest strap HRM. Either way, unless you are a data junkie or a serious runner the 630 is overkill. The "lower end" Garmins are perfect for most people's needs (distance and HR). The higher end ones just give more bells and whistles that aren't really needed (but are cool IMO).