Just for today - a recovery-positive daily-ish commitment thread!

Options
I saw this in the main forums, and thought maybe it could be a cool way to get this group more active, and also a way to motivate each other in healthy ways! Let me know what you all think?

Basically, when you have a (pro-recovery in any form) goal for the day, you can post it in here as your day's commitment, and then later you can follow up with whether or not you achieved this, and if not, what obstacles got in the way and what you could do better next time. When I was in mental health residential treatment this past summer, we actually had a group where we did this every morning. It can be really nice to have a community to share your commitment with, because not only do you have accountability, but you have support -- and you can also see other people's goals and learn from them too!

Commitments usually should be simple and attainable. The acronym SMART is a good guide:
S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Relevant
T - Timely (aka not long term or indefinite goals)

Some sample ideas off the top of my head: "Today I will get out of the house at least once" - "Today I will write in my journal" - "Today I will follow my meal plan" - "Today I will practice [insert coping skill]" - "Today I will reach out for support" - "Today I will try a new food" - "Today if I want to use a symptom, I will try to use a healthy coping skill for at least 10/15/30etc minutes beforehand" - "Today I will eat breakfast" - "Today I won't exercise" - "Today I will intentionally smile at least once an hour" - "Today I will go grocery shopping" - "Today I will eat a meal or snack with friends" etc etc etc

Any thoughts? What do you all think?

Replies

• staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'll start:

Tonight, I will go out with friends instead of staying in and isolating. :)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Love this idea ☺ I'm about to go to bed but I'll write one for tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I will not weigh myself
  • staringatthesun
    staringatthesun Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome! How did your commitment go? I stuck to mine from a couple days ago. Went out with friends and didn't isolate. It wasn't a perfect weekend, but it was definitely worth it.

Today: I commit to getting out of the house at least twice. ( and I can already feel the anxiety rising from my saying twice instead of once lol)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I need to get out more myself. I only leave my house to go to appointments really.

I stuck to my commitment. I used to weigh myself daily, but now I'm going to try weighing myself every Sunday instead

Today: I commit to doing only one hour of cardio (Desperately trying to cut back lol)