Eating your exercise calories?

Options
vivrevotrevie
vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
What do you think?

Do you stick to your calorie allotment for the day (i.e. 1200), or do you eat back the calories you burned working out as well?

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person I don't eat back the calories.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back either. I don't understand it mostly and I figured if I was hungry I could eat and if not I will just not worry about it.
  • alannabuck
    alannabuck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started using MFP regularly last year, I was eating it back without giving it much thought. Weight loss was stagnant. Decided at some point to not track my workouts in MFP and noticed a difference pretty quickly.

I make exceptions, though, if I burned 700+ calories in a workout from running. I will eat back a portion because I notice the uptick in hunger, and food is energy! :smile:
  • no_pink_skirts
    no_pink_skirts Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I haven't hit my macro goal and I'm hungry I'll eat like a Greek yogurt to get protein and satisfy a craving. I have a hard time hitting my protein goal, so I'm always trying to up that a bit since I'm working on beginning strength training and I need it more than ever.
  • KMGetsFit
    KMGetsFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the whole diet world. So, with my limited knowledge I rationalized that I should not eat back the calories because that digs in to the defilecit that I need to create. Like someone else said, if I burn a ton of calories then I will eat a portion back. In cases like that, I will feel as though I'm starving and low on energy. So more food is needed.