Understanding Calories Adjustment

phsiao1214
phsiao1214 Posts: 6 Member
Hi guys,

My goal on MFP is to gain 1lb/week, so it calculates my TDEE to be 2630 calories.

Upon syncing my FitBit Charge HR, I noticed that the calories burnt from my FitBit counts as a -428 (Exercise) under my Exercise Diary of MyFitnessPal.

Shouldn't it be +428 instead because i'm not actually consuming calories, but instead, I'm burning calories? If I'm burning calories, why am I closer to reaching my goal of 2,630 calories?

So basically the equation is like this:

2630 (Goal) - 1755 (Food) - 428 (Exercise) = 447 (Remaining)

Shouldn't the correct equation be:

2630 (Goal) - 1755 (Food) + 428 (Exercise) = 1303 (Remaining)

For those with FitBits, please chime in. This is very confusing!

Replies

• phsiao1214
    phsiao1214 Posts: 6 Member
    ono80mrhb4dc.jpg
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    With the calorie adjustment shown, your Calories Remaining should read something like:

2630 (Goal) - 1755 (Food) - 415 (Exercise) = 460

You're not as active as MFP expects you to be (your projected Fitbit burn is a lot less than what MFP expects you to burn), so your calories are reduced.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Dittos.

If this was also a day with exercise within that time period already - then you have MFP activity level set way too high.

That is only supposed to be non-exercise part of day. And if you aren't active outside of exercise, then you are sedentary or lightly Active.

Also - MFP does NOT estimate a TDEE, well, a non-exercise TDEE it does.

Your weight change goals don't enter in to that equation though like your sentence perhaps sounds like you think it does.

Weight change goals enter in to your eating goal from that MFP Calories Burned estimate of 1885.

Not sure how you got 2630 though, that's not a 250, 500, or 750 cal block increase of calories which MFP uses.

Did you manually set an eating goal based on an estimated TDEE from another website perhaps?

Then attempting to mix Fitbit and MFP together is not good idea until you understand what is going on.