Chocolate Heaven Cake

Options
BalmyD
BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
I'm making this recipe right now: Chocolate Heaven Cake

If the taste of the batter is any indication, it's going to be freakin' delicious. For sweetening I used 3 packets of monk fruit in the raw and 1/4 cup truvia baking blend. If I calculated with the right ingredients on MFP, I came up with cutting it into 10 pieces at 369 calories and 12 g net carb per piece. (If you count fiber, it came out at 16 carbs per serving).

I will report back on the results.

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is awesome, but I can only eat about 20 met carbs a day. But I still want to know if it is good because I would make it for my family.
  • BalmyD
    Options
    Okay, here's my review. Positives: 1) The texture is more like cake than I expected 2) This works as a baked good, which I have not had for 2.25 months 3) I feel good after eating it 4) The flavor was pretty good 5) Even though it was not as rich as I expected, a little was enough.

Negatives: 1) The chocolate was a bit overpowering. I used 4 parts 100% baking chocolate and 6 parts 66% baking chocolate, and the chocolate flavor is serious chocoholic level. I could not see making this with all 100% baking chocolate. 2) It was barely sweet enough (and that's coming from someone who hasn't had a bite of sugar or starch since Jan 1 and barely any other sweeteners either). 3) It was a bit dry. It really needs frosting. I'm thinking of trying something with whipped cream cheese, mint, and more sweetener, which of course adds carbs.

So, to sum up, this would be a good treat once in awhile for someone who really really really loves chocolate. I personally would not make this for a child's birthday. Most importantly, I still feel good after eating it. With a good frosting that helps with the overpowering chocolate and the dryness, this could definitely be something I could bring to a pot luck or a family gathering so that there is a dessert there I can eat. As a bonus, my relatives who need to be gluten free could also eat it.

@motown13 If you can only have 20 net carbs per day, you could have a smaller piece or not eat many other carbs that day. The pieces we had were quite big at 12 net carbs. If I had to get by on half of what we ate, I would still feel it a worthwhile treat. I almost never make these dessert type baked goods or substitutions because there are sacrifices to be made in order to eat them. This is really the first dessert I've made since going LCHF other than a low sugar cheesecake for my husband's birthday. I'm going to post that recipe because it was extremely good.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • BalmyD
    Options
    Update: I still had keto breath this morning and my weigh in was on the low end of my current range. So no disruption to the process at all after eating this.
  • BalmyD
    Options
    Um, yeah, so don't mix mint with cream cheese. It's like spreading toothpaste on your chocolate cake. Yech.