False positive pregnancy test?

Options
Hi everyone,
I came off the pill about 10 weeks ago with a view to trying to regulate my cycle and hopefully start ovulating, so that when my partner and I started trying for a baby later this year it would all (hopefully!) go smoothly.
I have had no signs at all of ovulation (no egg-white mucus, no increase in basal temperature, no sore breasts etc), but had a run of positive OPKs starting about two weeks ago. As these didn't stop I had chalked it up to high LH (which has been a problem for me in the past.
Today I did a pregnancy test as OPKs still showing positive after 2 1/2 weeks and it came up as positive. I did another one later in the morning which said the same.
I am taking myoinositol, metformin, maca and cod liver oil.
Is there any reason why I would get false positive pregnancy tests? I know this sounds crazy but I really don't feel like I am pregnant and there was absolutely no indication of ovulation other than the tests). It could just be fear that it is wrong stopping me thinking it, but this feels like a false result.
Thanks for your help.
Pip x

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I came off the pill about 10 weeks ago with a view to trying to regulate my cycle and hopefully start ovulating, so that when my partner and I started trying for a baby later this year it would all (hopefully!) go smoothly.
    I have had no signs at all of ovulation (no egg-white mucus, no increase in basal temperature, no sore breasts etc), but had a run of positive OPKs starting about two weeks ago. As these didn't stop I had chalked it up to high LH (which has been a problem for me in the past.
    Today I did a pregnancy test as OPKs still showing positive after 2 1/2 weeks and it came up as positive. I did another one later in the morning which said the same.
    I am taking myoinositol, metformin, maca and cod liver oil.
    Is there any reason why I would get false positive pregnancy tests? I know this sounds crazy but I really don't feel like I am pregnant and there was absolutely no indication of ovulation other than the tests). It could just be fear that it is wrong stopping me thinking it, but this feels like a false result.
    Thanks for your help.
    Pip x

Unless you are taking HcG or something, it is highly unlikely that this many tests would be a false positive - UNLESS you're using all the same brand of tests, and they are a bad batch of something. I'd go to the doctor for bloodwork and confirmation. Usually around 3-4 weeks, the doctor can tell if there is a sac implanting and such. No reason to sit here and make yourself crazy.

And as point of reference, I was pregnant, miscarried at 5 weeks, then got pregnant again immediately afterward, and didn't even suspect pregnancy until 6 weeks (well, others suspected it then), and didn't even test until 8 weeks, because it seemed unrealistic and impossible, because my doctor told me it couldn't happen... So long story short - who knows, but I didn't even start feeling pregnant the second time until about 6 weeks...
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks KnitorMiss. I actually took three tests, two were from the same packet and were the ones where you get a cross for pregnant (both had dark crosses), and the other was a digital one which says "pregnant" and how many weeks. That is another reason I am panicking slightly, as it said 3+ weeks, which I don't think could be right.
    You are absolutely right though, there is no point sitting around driving myself crazy, so I am going to get an appointment with my Dr. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to answer x
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You're so welcome! I hope you get some good news, no matter what it is.

Oh, and remember, technically the first week of a pregnancy is the week of ovulation, before the actual fertilization is started, so if I read this correctly above, that does line up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's certainly possible it's a true positive. You'd basically skip the signs of ovulation if fertilization happened.

The tests are very sensitive now, too. Everyone says that you have to "wait" until you miss a period, but I know I had "that feeling" a full week or so earlier than when my period should have been, and the test was still very much positive (on an afternoon test, no less; not even a morning one). If you're getting multiple positives over the course of several weeks, it's very, very unlikely that it's false.

Good luck at your doctor appointment!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not all women have the egg-white mucus, etc signs of ovulation (my main/only sign is a sudden 5# water weight gain that drops off 48 hours later...my temperature differential isn't even that much & it took the FertilityFriend app a couple months to pick it based on temps alone. I had to depend on LH test strips. lol). It's also possible that you may have already been pregnant at the point you started the LH test strips. Those tests can actually read as positive if you are already expecting due to how the hormones in the urine bond to the test strip. The "3+" on the digital HPTs marks from the point of fertilization, not how many weeks pregnant you are...and if it had been 10 weeks since you've been of BC & you didn't have a period in-between, you could totally be 3+ weeks pregnant :smile: . (Although those tests have a huge degree of variabilty, since bHCG levels are so individual for each pregnancy & each woman. Some women's numbers just run way high).

With rare exception (i.e a bad batch of tests, a really rare medical disorder for females called Germ Cell Tumor, other rare issues, etc), do you get continual false positives from HPTs. So as suggested, you TOTALLY should make an appointment with your doctor for labs & tests. If you're not already taking one, you should probably start a prenatal multivitamin with a minimum of 400mcg folate just in case.

Also, of note, I'm currently pregnant (9w4d- adjusted for ovulation), and didn't start "feeling pregnant" until week 6.5-7'ish. :smile: Even then, it's been mild enough that if I didn't know, I would seriously just think I caught a stomach bug that I was having trouble shaking, which isn't uncommon for my stomach.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You are pregnant. Congrats!

You were pregnant when you started using the OPK's and they picked up hcg instead of LH. They are structually very similar and OKP'S can pick up hcg once it gets to a high enough level.

Only false positive would be if you used an hcg trigger to ovulate or had a teratoma.

You should call your doctor for blood work and a dating ultrasound since you didn't have a period between.