Share your workout routines

Options
wifeydevine
wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
Any of you who workout at home would be willing to share your routine with me? I can't afford the gym and have been using the Jetfit app and walking 10k steps per day. Need some ideas for other at home things to do.

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Build exercise into your life - turn yourself from sedentary to active. That is sometimes even better than being sedentary all day and then doing a one hour cardio or strength workout, though they can go together.

Examples -
    Do ten squats every time you go to the bathroom.

Put a pullup bar in doorway in your house - do your best to do a pullup every time you walk through . If nothing else jump up as you are walking toward it and grab it and lower yourself down.

Anytime you have something in the microwave or on the stove and have to wait for it, stretch... touch your toes, etc. Or grab a few cans and do some slow reps of biceps and triceps.

If you watch tv, do it while on the floor stretching, doing hip bridges, etc. Come up with a few mindless type exercises you can do while watching.

If you watch tv with commercials, spend every commercial pacing or go outside around the house and back in. Or better yet - clean. You get a little exercise and a cleaner house.

Speaking of cleaning, pick a 15 minute project every day. Pick a good time. Every day go do that (i.e. basic bathroom or kitchen clean. Move the couch and vacuum. Dust the ceiling fans, pull out the stove or fridge and clean under/behind it, etc.)

Find a park within walking distance of home or work. Go by there when you can and play on the playground equipment - swinging can be a great leg and arm mini-workout, pullups on the bars, etc. Have some fun for a few minutes.

Find a church or other facility with a ping pong table and get a friend to meet you there regularly . You can work up a sweat if you are a little competitive!

Find some local batting cages and go hit some balls. Or a raquetball court. Or a driving range. These can all be fun and stress relieving and work different muscles.

If you have a kid, do soccer drills with them. Play catch. Play tag. Play monkey (monkey see monkey do - follow them around and do whatever they do).

For "real" workouts, check out youtube - lots of free videos on there. Experiment with all of them, then when you find out what you really enjoy doing, find the better videos even if they cost $ (dont spend money til you know you what you like!). Get some TRX type straps (the "WOSS" military brand are way cheaper, available on Amazon for about $30 and can give you a total body workout).

Good luck! Just move more every day all day. Best advice I got was not to think of it as a "work" out... think of it as "recess" :)

• murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender/videos

They have a lot of great free short strength workouts.
  • wifeydevine
    wifeydevine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am 4 years out, and I have a hard time keeping up with the workout videos b/c I have done very little strength training and have very bad coordiation. I do better with a routine I can pace myself, and just do reps. I'm more likely to stick with it that way. I do walk, a lot, and have thought about getting wrist/ankle weights for walking.. would that still count as cardio or strength?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Anything works, but I dont recommend wrist and ankle weights simply because they are bad for your body mechanics. They pull the wrong way, etc. Hard on your joints.

Just get some lightweight dumbbells to start with and come up with a routine you can stick with. Then every few weeks either up the weight, slow down the reps or so something to make it just a little harder. Dont keep doing something after it gets easy find a way to make it harder.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff, aylajayne! I've heard "follow a ten year old and do what they do" before to make exercise less of a chore!

Note: following an actual ten year old can get you into trouble and is not recommended!
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have Workout DVDs for the weather days. I tend to go on long walks and super clean my house. I need to add in more, but it is a work in progress. Gym is a 30 min drive for me, so I am a home gym jingle of gal.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do go to the gym usually, but there are times that life just doesn't allow that to happen. When the weather is good, I walk the dog, but when the weather is bad, I have a sick child, am super busy, etc. I have a yoga mat and will do a Youtube yoga or pilates workout for 30 minutes. Something is better than nothing, and Youtube has some wonderful videos for those days.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    30 to 45 min treadmill then 15 to 20 min strength training 5x or 6x a week
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I started out with a lot of biking, walking, and elliptical with the occasional 30 Day Shred worked in; swimming too during the summer.

Now I'm doing a lot of jogging (about 15 miles/week) elliptical, and kettle bells (Shred It with Weights). I also try to throw in some planks, plank rows, and some other plank torture to work on my abs.

I'm generally exercising 30-60 minutes a day with a rest day about every 10 days; but, since January, I've been traveling nearly every week on business and I take advantage of the free time to get in extra workouts (up to two hours a day, about 3 days a week).

Loose skin notwithstanding, I'm in the best shape of my life at 40 and I ran track and field all through high school!
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ball squats, lunges, bent over rows, biceps curls, pushups, planks and superman. all can be done at home and rely on body weight. I try and do these while watching TV to distract myself from the fact that I am working out.

Otherwise I use the elliptical at my work's gym and I go walking on my breaks.