Overhead press

As I've increased my weights I've noticed I'm actually doing more of a push press. Would you deload to get just a overhead press or is that typical? I'm guessing I'm not working my shoulders as much this way?

Replies

• Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    When I first started, I quickly started push pressing...
    Since then, I've deloaded and do the strict press (which I find more satisfying), and that is followed by a couple of sets of push pressing. I really like overhead pressing. Even with tiny weights (27.5kgs for strict.... 35kgs for push). Which is not bad considering most of the big guys also don't OHP as much as I would have expected.

Anyway, you might find this interesting:
    http://thestrongroom.com.au/blog/crossfit/strict-or-push-press
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    I do strict press. Progress is painfully slow but every tiny increase or extra rep is a massive victory. I have been at this for over 6 months and can only press 25kg but it took me so long to be able to press the empty bar that I am actually thrilled with that.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Strict press :)
    Even though I have never gotten over 60 lbs. Push press feels like cheating :P
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Google mark rippetoe ohp. Very helpful with form.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i like the strict press too. i think originally i had push-press plans because my main reference for everything was starting strength and rippetoe's step-by-step had the hip bounce built in.

i could never get it coordinated :tongue: and i really didn't like the feeling of maybe not having full control of my back curve throughout, so i've ended up doing strict presses because for me they're actually easier. maybe not in terms of absolute weight, but definitely in terms of feeling like the form is simpler and therefore easier for me to keep clean.

mid/upper back and my thoracic/lumbar spinal junction are my risk zone, so ohp isn't a lift where i feel like taking a lot of chances. if i can't do it with strict form, i'm seriously happy not to do it at all.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I never feel as if I get the hip bounce right either, but I always thought it was knee bending that made it a push press. Need to reread Rippetoe.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    scrittrice wrote: »
    I never feel as if I get the hip bounce right either, but I always thought it was knee bending that made it a push press. Need to reread Rippetoe.

nah, i think you're right. i always oversimplify by thinking anything that involves movement south of the bar is a 'push'. he definitely doesn't advocate any kind of knee bend; it's just a taut-bowstring kind of bounce off the hip flexors and core.

• scrittrice
    scrittrice wrote: »

nah, i think you're right. i always oversimplify by thinking anything that involves movement south of the bar is a 'push'. he definitely doesn't advocate any kind of knee bend; it's just a taut-bowstring kind of bounce off the hip flexors and core.

I have practiced that move in the mirror an embarrassing number of times, but I never feel I get it quite right. Then again, one day there was a young man waiting to use the rack after me when I was OHP-ing, and I made a crack about how little weight I can press, and he said, "Yeah, but if it's any consolation your form is perfect." So maybe it's just not a "natural" feeling motion for me and never will be.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I do both in my workouts, but strictly strength-wise I keep my main sets as strict with form as I can. I'll occasionally accidentally bounce a rep when going for max reps in which case I don't "count" the rep, ha!

As far as the muscles worked, they're pretty much the same shoulder-wise, the push press just incorporates more muscles which is why you can use more weight.

They technically complement each other. They each have little things that carry over to other lifts as well, so it's really not a black and white picture. Whichever you feel more comfortable with is fine for recreation lifting purposes :) (But I do find the strict press PRs are more satisfying, too)
  • scrittrice
    I've started doing z-presses, too, which completely take the legs out of the equation. Really challenging for me, but I think they're helping me engage my lats more when pressing, or at least to know what that feels like.
  • raisingcropsandkids
    raisingcropsandkids Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll deload and work on it :-)