Accuracy of wristbands worn on bras

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Weird question I know, but I'd really like a fitbit with HR so I can be more accurate with the cals burned on my workouts, but I work in a hospital and the rule is no jewellery or anything worn on the wrists. I know a couple of people who use trackers such as the surge and attach it to their bra while they are at work and I was wondering in anyone here does it and how accurate they find it? I have a zip and I know that is designed to be worn on a waistband or bra and I'm happy with its accuracy, but since the surge HR is a bit pricey considering I already own a zip and a polar HRM (although it's on its way out), Is it worth the extra expense for a bit less hassle?

Thanks!

Replies

• fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had the Surge HR but ended up returning it because I wasn't 100% satisfied with its accuracy... It would count steps when brushing my teeth ;) I was also losing steps for some reason once in a while. Fitbit said it was an issue on their end but who knows... Maybe it's fixed now.

I use the One and wear it on my bra all the time and it works fine.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and when I go out I wear it on my anke. I find it just as accurate as on my wrist. It means I can then wear my jewellery.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you have an HR model and take it off and wear it somewhere where it can't detect your pulse, make sure you go into settings and turn the HR to OFF. Don't leave it on Auto - it will get really weird readings and interpret them as an elevated heart rate when it shouldn't. I've tested this. I've tried both just in my pocket and tucked into my bra with the sensor against the skin and ended up with bad HR readings in both places. With the HR off, I think you can wear it pretty much anywhere and get reasonably accurate step counts.

Wearing it on the ankle might work and pick up the HR correctly, but I wonder about whether it will detect steps properly (1/2 will be extra intense, 1/2 might be missed) which can affect the calorie computation when not using the HR formula. It might be worth a try, but I'd probably want to test it before I used it that way every day - make sure the step count is right, the distance it gives for a decent length walk is close to right, and compare the HR readings during a workout to a chest strap HRM.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I've visited hospital wards I put mine in a small bag I carry or on my waistband belt loop and it seemed to pick up steps just fine, numbers looked about what I expected. I didn't have any problem with the heart rate on auto but if I was going to be there all day I'd switch it off. I'm not sure how I could wear it in or on my bra, wouldn't it stick out and make a strange looking bulge?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Better option is to keep the zip and replace the HRM.