Hot Climate Runners!

Options
sthoma13
sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
I am new to the Houston area and wondering how to deal with the heat and humidity. Is there ever any "adjusting"? Or should I just plan on sticking with mostly treadmill during summer? I am debating doing my first half marathon in April but I am worried it will be too hot as its one of the last ones offered around here until fall.

Replies

• jennayoung1109
    jennayoung1109 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in answers to this as well. I'm in Charleston and the summers are no joke. I took up running in the fall so haven't had to deal with the heat. I plan on running either really early morning or evening, but I think even that will be miserable with the humidity and heat here.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I am in Huntsville, AL. It get's real hot and humid. The biggest thing I do is get up real early before sun rise to run. I carry a 32 oz Gatorade with me on my long runs & my group plants water and gatorade on our course in a cooler hidden behind some bush or sign about every 5-6 miles.

It takes about 2 weeks to fully acclimate to the heat. So start slower than normal. Consider about 20-30 sec/mile slower for every 5 degrees that it is above 60 degrees F.

http://www.runnersworld.com/run-nonstop/running-in-the-heat
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am not looking forward to runs in the southeast Louisiana heat this summer :( even at 5:00am the humidity hits you like a ton of bricks.
  • sthoma13
    Options
    I'm going to wait and try some 5ks in the summer and see how I do - not going to sign up for that April half until I know what the weather is going to be- anything over 80 I think I will not survive. Haha
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I am in Huntsville, AL. It get's real hot and humid. The biggest thing I do is get up real early before sun rise to run. I carry a 32 oz Gatorade with me on my long runs & my group plants water and gatorade on our course in a cooler hidden behind some bush or sign about every 5-6 miles.

It takes about 2 weeks to fully acclimate to the heat. So start slower than normal. Consider about 20-30 sec/mile slower for every 5 degrees that it is above 60 degrees F.

http://www.runnersworld.com/run-nonstop/running-in-the-heat
    So much this.^^^

The early morning pre-sun heat is always better than the daytime heat (especially if the sun is beating down) and also better than the evening heat. Don't get tricked into thinking an afternoon shower would be better than early morning because that may not be the case. Depending on the air temp 100% humidity in the rain can be quite miserable.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    sthoma13 wrote: »
    I'm going to wait and try some 5ks in the summer and see how I do - not going to sign up for that April half until I know what the weather is going to be- anything over 80 I think I will not survive. Haha

I live in Rochester, NY, so I don't experience what Texans would call real heat. I did run a half last July when the temperature was 82 at gun time, with 98% relative humidity. Through 8 miles I was on a pace for a PR, then I melted down. I finished, but it turned out to be my second slowest half. The only slower half was the one when I was coming back from a stress fracture of the metatarsals and deliberately holding back on the pace.

I believe my biggest problem with those conditions was that race day was the first summer day with weather like that, so I didn't have an opportunity to train in the conditions. Later last year, I ran a 12K in similar conditions and was fine; then again, in the 12K I kept telling myself that 8 miles would get me past the finish line.

It helps to train in whatever conditions you'll experience on race day. The weather won't always cooperate, but you do the best you can.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Central Florida here - middle of the state. I think we are similar to Louisiana. Miserable. I only run in the very early morning, before sunrise in the summer (aka May-October). Even when I leave at 4:30am it is still very hot/humid. I have to run at that time to get to work on time anyway. However, when school is out (I'm a teacher), it is easy to fool myself into thinking I can run a little later, or maybe run at night. Pretty much always regret it. It just doesn't cool down at all. You have to go slow, for sure. And the good news in, if you get a cold spell you will find you run much faster than you thought possible!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything to add to what others have already said, except my agreement, but I love to chime in on posts around running in hot weather, because I do it too. live in Central Queensland, Australia, and we have just sweltered through a really hot, humid summer. I also recommend early morning runs to beat the heat (getting out there by 5am). lt will still likely be between 24 and 26C, and it will still likely be very humid, but because the hot sun is not beating down it is much better than running in the afternoons. Take water, or make sure you can access water on your route. And, like others have already said, run slower; you don't want to kill yourself out there. And like @ddmom0811 said, when the weather cools off, you will be amazed how much faster you can run!
  • sthoma13
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts! Very helpful.
  • sthoma13
    Options
    @MobyCarp I miss running in beautiful upstate New York! I am originally from Binghamton and nothing beats the parks and beautiful hills up that way. That's the weather I miss running in (and scenery!)
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm in FL, ocean side near cocoa beach. I also work in a bar, so I usually get home at 3a. My "early morning runs" don't happen. Sometimes in the summer I try and get out at sunrise but it is so hard after working a 10 hour shift. I just bite he bullet and run when it's hot out. Drop water bottles, and bring my fuel belt with water attached to it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oklahoma and usually run in the heat of the day (3-5pm) during the summer 90-100°. I just slow my pace, and make frequent water/electrolyte stops. My goals shift from pace and distance to time engaging my cardiovascular system. I do try to run at a park further away where there is a lot of shade and cold springs to jump in and cool off mid way. I also make stops to wet my hat/face.

They make ice vests. Not sure if that's an option for a pre-mid-post cooling option.

There's a few regular runners here that are out same time every day, 1130-1230, no matter the weather (barring thunder storms). I guess you somewhat acclimate after a few weeks.

@MobyCarp we lived in Delaware for a while. I thought the weather would be mild. I was so suprised- summer was stiffiling humid and hot, no where near the Texas/Oklahoma heat. But I bet that's how Houston is. New York is a beautiful state.