Who lifts at home in the morning?

mirrim52
mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
So, I am usually an end of day lifter, since I always went after the kid went to bed, but now that I have a power rack at home, I am toying with the idea of morning workouts.

For those of you that lift at home in the AM, what do you do to warm up? Our elliptical is in the bedroom and the hubby will be sleeping, so that is out. I don't know if I ever will lift early before work, but it is a possibility now, so, maybe!!

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I work out mornings at home. I just do some stretches and get to it. But, I walk in place during tests. I get so many steps in that way. I work at home, too. If I didn't do things this way my TDEE would be rock bottom.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    I started working out in the morning at home, but switched to evenings. In the AM, I wasn't getting enough food in my body to support my lifts and with weight getting heavier my work out time has increased, so I felt like I was clock watching and rushing to try to finish my workout to make it to work on time. I wasn't going to wake up earlier than 5am to fit it all in, so I've switched to evenings and it's working out very well for me.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    I often work out in the morning. I usually prefer to do Stronglifts in the evening, but schedule wise it doesn't always work out. I usually just get straight into it, and do some stretching between the warm up sets.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I don't currently work out in the AM, but I used to.

I would do some dynamic warm ups (high knees, butt kicks, jumping jacks, jog in place, stuff like that to get my body moving and blood pumping), add on a couple of extra sets of warm up squats with just the bar to make sure my hips were loosened up and ready to go, then get into it.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    I've been playing with this idea for a while now too, @mirrim52.
    SO. NOT. a morning person. My stomach can't handle food till after 10:00 in the morning.
    "How come you’re not excited about life?”-Lorelai
    “I find nothing exciting before 11:00.” -Rory
    Okay with fasted cardio, if need be I'll take a "shot" of orange juice after a cardio session. But lifting is a different animal. Might try it on a weekend to see how well I do lifting in a fasted state. At the same time, as @Jackie0Marie said, I don't want to be rushed and clock watch.

The internal debate continues...
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I workout at home in the morning. I wake up, pound back some pre-workout and then do some dynamic stretching so my blood is moving. The clock watching really does suck but the alternative is not working out and that just cannot happen.
    As for food, I find a carby bedtime snack helps me sleep well and fuels my workouts just fine.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I do mornings because with my kids' schedules and my total lack of motivation late at night, it's the only thing that works. I'm not a morning person at all, so I don't love it - but I know if I don't do it in the AM it likely won't get done consistently.

I use an app for my warm-up. It's 10 minutes long and includes 20 body movements (30 seconds each). There are crunches, planks, squats, lunges, step-ups, jumping jacks, etc. Lots of different things and they vary each time (like they randomly mix it up for you). I'm sweating by the end of the 10 minutes LOL. It's good though. I only recently added this in - I used to just go lift. Do the 5x5 warmup lift and that was it. It was fine, too.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Recently started doing my workout in the am. Treadmill for 8 mins then warmup sets.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    I get straight of bed, throw on some rags, grab a big cup of water, and head straight to the fitness room. Once there, I immediately get on my mini trampoline and jump around for about 5 minutes using my entire body. I do jump jacks, make big circle with my arms, etc. Then I begin my routine. I love getting it out the way but I am 100% a morning person.
  • ninenines
    A trampoline warmup sounds awesome!
  • ntagabtf
    ntagabtf Posts: 15 Member
    I'm only a couple of weeks into SL but I have done a few in the morning. My weights are downstairs so I bring coffee and water with me to slurp on between sets. I actually prefer getting it done in the morning, but I also love lying around doing nothing in the morning so it can be a struggle.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks.
    I have no idea if the morning workouts will ever happen. My main issue with finding time to lift is days that don't conflict with derby and rock climbing. If I lift in the morning, I can do M-W-F morning, still be ok for derby at night, and have 2 full rest days a week.

I'm actually thinking of just doing burpees to get my blood moving then warm up sets.

ETA - and may need to invest in pre-workout since I don't drink coffee :P
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    I always work out in the morning unless something comes up. I also do it fasted. For warm-ups I just start light with the weights and stretch in between.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Fanncy0626 - how long have been doing SL5x5? Have you seen good improvement in muscle definition? I always thought it was a bad idea to lift in a fasted state? Like one book I read states to have a pre-workout snack and after workout snack. What's been your experience?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I never eat before I lift. Ever. I don't even have coffee..just water. It's too early for me to even consider thinking about food and I don't have time to eat anyways. Since it's a 5:45 wake up I'm cutting it pretty close with getting it done, getting showered and ready and out the door by 7:15 so I'm not late to work. Food doesn't usually happen until 9-10am, sometimes as late as 11:30. I haven't noticed any issues...
  • ninenines
    I haven't worried too much about lifting in a fasted state. I've continued to get stronger and that has been my main focus. I'm in recomposition mode, and I have been seeing slow improvements in muscle definition. I don't train fully faster though, I've often already had a latte and drink a protein/BCAA mix during the workout, which was recommended on the lean gains site.