Still gaining weight after baby

Options
ksmi141
ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
Hey guys, I'm 7 weeks postpartum and still gaining after the initial loss after delivery. I'm trying to get a handle on it, but with the new LO I still feel like I barely have time for house cleaning or hygiene, much less going to the gym and cooking 3 healthy meals a day. Any veterans have tips for how to function and be healthy after baby?

And anyone feel free to add me, I could use all the support I can get!

Replies

• Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hear you! After the initial weight loss from deliver and swelling, I began to gain weight too. It was hard, your life is so radically different afterwards and with the sleep deprivation, accumulating chores and whole new life to care for, eating healthy was not so high on my list.

I also felt like "oh I'm breastfeeding so you know the weight will melt off..." Well, breastfeeding did not help me lose all the weight like everyone promised. I felt hungry and ravenous all the time! I decided to deal with it later.

Now I'm 18 months postpartum and still struggling with about 15 lbs. Its harder to lose the weight than I thought. Even though my LO is sleeping through the night, I find that I am still just as busy and tried (especially during flu and cold season).

Currently, I am working out regularly (4+) times a week, mostly doing group fitness classes, and I recommitted to food logging everyday (currently have a 23 day streak :smiley: ) I am trying to make healthy changes to my life now, and I wish I would have done this sooner. Retrospect, I would have tried to prep healthy snacks ahead of time and meal plan/prep too. Would have been ideal to start at the end of my pregnancy, but I wish I would have tried after baby too!
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have hit a plateau, LO is 10 weeks. The past 3 days have been a s#show of eating. Hosting friends for visits have consumed my kitchen/cooking energy & time and dinner has been cookies and cheese...
    Before this slip, I was doing nightly salad dinners and popcorn as a snack. Prewashed greens ( that I don't rewash!) & tomatoes, carrots, hemp hearts and avocado. And a tasty homemade dressing that I make once a week ( garlic, olive oil, Dijon, capers, lemon juice, s&p) breakfast was a measured 1/3 cup steelcut oats and lunch a couple of eggs, cheese and ryvita crackers.
    I hear ya with barely having the time for hygiene let alone veggie prep- but #itgetsbetter I hope!!!
  • NelsonKatelyn
    NelsonKatelyn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Prep work is definitely the key! Trying planning your meals out each week and go to grocery store for everything you need. I like to try to make meals a night ahead. Say lasagna for example, something that you can bake the night before and is great as a leftover.

That really helps with snacks too. If you have snacks portioned out and ready to grab, you are less likely to reach for something not so healthy. I too was under the impression that breastfeeding would melt all my weight away lol NOT the case for me! I am now 2 years postpartum and still losing weight. Just remember that a pregnancy really wreaks havoc on your body haha, it comes off slowly, just like it went on.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Looks like meal planning/prepping is the key to survival. Crap. I'm such an unorganized person, haha. Thank you for the advice, ladies! Now on to Google to figure out meal prepping!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I agree with food prep. I am 5 weeks PP. I started by baking chicken. I can add it to salad or frozen veggies for an easy lunch/dinner. Now, I am cooking quinoa, steel cut oatmeal, and boiled eggs. But I still have bad days. My older kids play soccer 4 nights a week. Last night, I cheated and hit a drive through. My goal is to only do that 1-2 times a week.
  • Kld2281
    Kld2281 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My baby turned 2 in January and I've lost nothing. Im up a few lbs I believe. Like the poster above, I thought that breastfeeding for a year would make the weight fall right off. Well, it made me hungry.... Very, very hungry. I caught a glimpse of my stomach today & it looks worse that right after the baby. So depressing! All I can do now, is get on track and force some time in for me. I feel like I'm making excuses, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for meal prep & exercise, with a job, 3 kids, a house to keep up with and helping out my sick grandmom.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I agree with food prep. I am 5 weeks PP. I started by baking chicken. I can add it to salad or frozen veggies for an easy lunch/dinner. Now, I am cooking quinoa, steel cut oatmeal, and boiled eggs. But I still have bad days. My older kids play soccer 4 nights a week. Last night, I cheated and hit a drive through. My goal is to only do that 1-2 times a week.

If you do the drive thru consider getting a kids meal! My mickeyDs cheeseburger meal is under about 450 calories? Get fruit and a few fries. Perfect! Sounds like you have a great plan!
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    number one - give yourself some time. it took you 9 months to get to where you are, things aren't going to change overnight. just don't be too hard on yourself. i think meal planning and prep are absolutely necessary. otherwise, you get tired and just grab the closest, easiest thing - which is usually never good. i also have a gym in my office building that i try to go to 3-4 times a week.

anyway - main point, don't be too hard on yourself. you just had a baby (congrats!!). just start slowly becoming more active and plan your meals to be more nutritious and the rest will come.
  • barby001
    barby001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a baby one year ago, gained 25 pounds during preg and lost abt 10 after. i started gaining some weight again while i was cutting down on carbs and fatty foods. I asked around and was told its the birth control. How do i achieve my weight goal. P.S I have 3 kids, a career and run a business, 24 hours is not enough for me.