Wedding dress shopping tips

Options
Hi everyone I'm going wedding dress shopping on 4/1/16 & 4/2/16. My mother & future mother inlaw are flying in for the occasion, so it will be the three of us shopping for a dress. My wedding is the end of October. I was wondering if any of you have any tips for shopping? Also I'm also looking to lose some more weight before my wedding, did any of you buy a size down? Any advice would be appreciated. So far we have three appointments on Saturday and 2 on Sunday so I'm hoping that's enough!

Replies

• MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    First, I hope you have so much fun!! I had fun and was truly surprised with the outcomes.

I wouldn't go a size down at 6 months or so before your wedding, snug ok, but get something that is close to fitting because it is MUCH easier to alter a dress to take in than it is to let it out.

Dress shopping tips:
    1. Take pictures of all the dresses you try on, even if it feels great it doesn't always look as GREAT as you think and I was amazed and really grateful to my friend who gave me the photo tip.
    2. Keep an open mind. We can't help but go into it with pre conceived notions, but be sure to try on even the ones that may have a quality or aspect that may be a deal breaker for you.
    3. Don't rush or be pressured to rush, you have time.
    4. Have fun.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My advice go by yourself the 1st time, try on dresses you like and don't like and get a feel before you take others along.

A dress you like in a picture, will look completely different on and you may find you choose something you never expected to.

Also - order the size they suggest. Dont put losing weight to fit into a dress stress on yourself!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Agree with others. In particular, keep the open mind and try on different styles (even if you're sure you don't like that style). I made the mistake my first appointment asking to stick with A-line and that's all I tried on. When I went with a friend and my mom, they pushed me to try on different styles that maybe were out of my comfort zone, but they gave me the confidence that I could wear them. Check out the "Dresses!" thread for more on a few of our stories ending up with dress styles we were sure we didn't want.

Agree with what others have said not to order a size down to count on dropping a size (also, if you aren't aware, bridal sizes run small so don't get upset by a number bigger than you're used to wearing). One thing you can look at is having a corset/lace-up back (either as designed or ask the seamstress to put in). This gives some flexibility either way.

Five appointments should be enough. That's about what I had (found my dress in the 3rd appointment, put it on hold and then checked the others to be sure). Hopefully you have a little space in between to review what you liked/didn't like about the dresses so you can narrow in on your style as you move through the appointments. It may feel a bit overwhelming so definitely have the pictures and maybe even take some notes (or have mom or MiL take some notes for you).

Good luck on your search and HAVE FUN!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    First of all, go and enjoy your self in that moment! I went to my first appointment not expecting to actually find my dress but more so to try on different styles for my body. I have had a long journey of weight loss so I was a bit hesitant as to what would look good, I ended up not only finding a dress that I was IN LOVE With, but also a style I would have NEVER imagined picking out (sheath, more form fitting).

Like the other ladies have said, just be open, take pictures and if you don't love it the first time, that is ok too, saying yes to the dress is a great moment but you want to make sure you really love all of the features on it.

You still have time, so even if you go to all of your appointments and try 10 dresses on and whittle down to the few you love at each place, you can do a side by side comparison with pics.

Congrats btw, enjoy the next few months, I am getting married in July and WOW has time just flown! :)