Bridesmaids Dresses

Options
MsMarlaJean
MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
WHO knew all the choices one has to make! color, length, style, material, casual, formal etc. LOL :lol: AH! I was getting a little overwhelmed so this is what I finally decided and told my MOH:

"I'd like all the dresses to be the same material but in different colors. The one GroomsGal will wear Blue; for the Bridesmaids and officiant (there are 4) 3 of you will wear a solid in Red, Orange or Yellow. The MOH or the Officiant will wear a dress that has all three colors in it. As MOH I am giving you the choice of color (a solid or the multi) and you get to choose the material. Each person can select their own style that suits them, but in the material and color they are assigned. Once you choose your dress color and material I will assign colors to the others. Whatever you pick will be a guideline for the others because we want a less formal dress with a rustic feel and you know what I am going for."

We originally were looking at the convertible/infinity dress, and both of us were doing a lot of searching and etc...she wanted them in chiffon and it was so overwhelming because I really don't like shopping online unless it is Amazon which makes things difficult because we live on an island...Plus Amazon really only had one choice for chiffon and it was an aqua where our blue colors are more of a sky blue (lighter blue) and a Tabriz blue.

I am starting to think that maybe it should be the Officiant in the multi-colored dress...

If you've already got this taken care of--What did you do? How did you narrow things down?

edited for typos

Replies

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    To your questions: finding the colors you want at the vendor you want can be a challenge; I had to compromise, but you decide what's most important (can you switch vendor to get the color you want, but may lose choices in other areas, i.e., styles). Weddington Way is a company that is based online so may have more options than Amazon but built for online orders. I picked short dresses (hopefully more likely to be used again) and not strapless (less chance of wardrobe malfunctions) and that actually narrowed a lot of selections. It was important to me that it be something the girls liked, so I let them choose the style that is most flattering for their body (although I think mine are all going to be in the same dress). I didn't pay any attention to fabric.
    I like the idea of the officiant in the multi colored dress so she stands out rather than dressing similar/same palette as the bridesmaids. In the end, I basically said here's my rules (color, length, straps), as long as it meets that, you pick. Good luck with working yours out! More detailed story of my specific experience below if anyone wants to read that much.

My experience: I picked David's Bridal for bridesmaids' dresses because I have bridesmaids in different states so they could go and do fittings and all of that wherever was convenient for them and not worry about dye lot numbers (I wanted to have all the same color). The other nice thing about DB is they're the same company as Men's Warehouse so the groomsmen can match to any of their colors. I wanted to have something that my girls felt like they would be able to wear again so decided on cocktail length. I went back and forth on whether they should all have the same dress, but finally settled on each being able to pick their own style as long as they had the same color, were the shorter length and not strapless (I didn't want to have them constantly pulling up the dress to avoid wardrobe malfunctions, and no one argued about it). Had gone in the past with my NY maid (future SIL) and kind of settled on a dark green (fitting with wedding colors of forest/hunter green and silver). Options were still being considered so didn't get anything that day. Went in January with my MN maids and the dark green had been discontinued and I didn't like any of the other greens in the DB collection (their Vera Wang collection had the perfect color, but basically no selection for short and not strapless), so ended up with a grey/silver color. And after my churning about letting them pick their own styles, they picked the same dress! Go figure. So I told my NY maid she could match them or pick something different (to be fair); I think she is planning to get the same style as them. I also got a lot of questions about shoes. I told them silver, but they'll all be different. Not a major thing to me.
  • MsMarlaJean
    edited March 2016
    Options
    These are the first go around...thinking white shrugs and neutral shoes for all. The blue is for the one grooms gal and the yellow is our officiant's dress. We will look for another lighter orange dress for my Jr bridesmaid...9bs46pozddi5.jpg
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What's the etiquette on paying for bridesmaids dresses? I gave mine the colours and we consulted on what's app and they've chosen dresses and seem to be paying for the themselves, I should offer right?
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Bright colour mix Marla, nice!
  • brisingr86
    Options
    I don't think there's any expectation for a bride to pay for bridesmaid dresses (unless you're insisting on something super expensive, in which case it's a nice gesture to at least offer to help out).
  • MsMarlaJean
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks @fitfor30th I found a jr bridesmaids dress too in a peach color :smile:

I think traditionally bridesmaids pay for their own dresses themselves, I know I did each time I was a bridesmaid.

Honestly nowadays I think you can decide for yourself!

Another tradition is to give a gift for your bridesmaids so you could make the gift the purchase of their dress??

Personally, because I can afford it and not all of my bridesmaids can, I am buying the dresses for my bridesmaids and I'm asking them to pay for the accessories (shrug, shoes, jewelry etc.) Plus, none of my dresses are over $75-80 dollars. Also, I'm a non-traditional bride and getting married for the first time at 44-45 years old, for whatever reason in my head it just makes more sense to me to pay for more of the stuff.

do what feels right to you :smile:
  • brisingr86
    Options
    I think the traditional gift is the jewelry. So, you could switch it and give the dress and then they're responsible for their own jewelry like Marla Jean if you wanted to pick up the dress tab. I'm planning to give my girls the jewelry.
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    I think the traditional gift is the jewelry. So, you could switch it and give the dress and then they're responsible for their own jewelry like Marla Jean if you wanted to pick up the dress tab. I'm planning to give my girls the jewelry.

yes, one of the times I was a bridesmaid I did get jewelry and other times I got pampering (mani-pedi) and hair and make-up as gifts. I enjoyed all of it :lol:

@brisingr86 do you have it picked out yet? I think it would be fun to pick some funky pieces for my Galz, and I may still do that if I find stuff I like, but I don't think I'll go with classic pieces...I got a really pretty pearl necklace with matching simple pearl earings...I think I would pick more costumey stuff. I'm weird, I know. :smirk:
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have gone down the path of paying for the girls dresses, hair, makeup, jewellery and some other gifts on the days - a robe & clutch to use.

I was going to cover the shoes as well, but there was some issues with the ones we bought them as a bridesmaid didn't like them, so they were on their own after that.