Stress relief

Options
shannylove9
shannylove9 Posts: 24 Member
What do you guys find works for you in times of stress? I have found that in this stressful time in grad school my eating has been bad... and its difficult to not turn to eating for comfort and stress relief. I haven't yet found something that I feel Ive replaced it with, so when I am really stressed it triggers me.

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    For me it seems to be learning how to relax, and let things go. Getting a little bit of exercise every day, and my attempts at 'meditation' seem to be helping. Just today, I drove by the clinic that I had to go to for my once every 3 yr work medical.... which had stressed me out quite a bit.... and I found myself thinking about how I'll have to go back there in 2 1/2 yrs and do it again. Then, I immediately slapped myself in the face ( metaphorically ) because, what's the point in worrying about something that will happen in 2 1/2 years? But, that's what I DO if I don't force myself to stop.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Music. I get my earbuds, crank up some tunes, and go walk. If I can't do that, I eat. Kidding! A little BED humor hahaha!

If I can't escape through music, I sing to myself. Or I breath deep. And yes, I pray.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been a huge stress relief for me. Also taking a nice warm bubble bath when I can. I don't generally eat when I'm stressed, but I do eat a LOT when I'm depressed. Thankfully the exercise has been helping with the depression.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Colouring has worked wonders. More than I could have anticipated. It's really strange, but after 5 minutes of colouring, I feel the calm all over.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Colouring has worked wonders. More than I could have anticipated. It's really strange, but after 5 minutes of colouring, I feel the calm all over.

Is this like the adult coloring books?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My wife has a few of these. They also have adult swear word coloring books that look fun.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    I love adult coloring books. I have some adult coloring phone apps, too.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Just 'how' adult, are we talkin'? :blush:

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have everything from Harry Potter colouring books to large swear words. There's hundreds on Amazon. I'm sure there are some in the highest of adult categories, but I haven't been inclined to google for them. ;)
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »

Just 'how' adult, are we talkin'? :blush:

I ain't tellin'! B)

• ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I wish I had good suggestions but apparently eating is actually my main stress reliever haha. But years ago i went through a major Tetris phase where I had one of those handheld Tetris games, and I could not put it down. I feel like that could potentially help me again but I swear I became addicted to it! My ex always complained that I always was playing when watching movies and one time I even brought it to the movie theater and got in trouble...Haha. Oh the joys of being a 17 year old Tetris addict!
  • betrue95
    betrue95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me, I love TV series - so I've asked my husband to set up the TV in my exercise room downstairs so that I can watch while I'm on the eliptical or treadmill. This should be done in the next week so I'm excited for this.