Recommended workout program?

Options
Heartlight441
Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
I own Chalean Extreme which I'm going to start again but wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a more cardio based routine? I need something that is 'quiet' as my workout space is in an upstairs bedroom so I can't have anything too jumpy (or something I can modify for low impact).

I do enjoy getting outside for walking and will be starting a C25K next week but definitely need to up my intensity to breakthrough my plateau. Thanks!

Replies

• MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Jam (there is DVD called 5 Rocking Workouts, 3T, Cardio Mix Party 1/2/3, Lower Body. Fat Blaster, and Punch, Kick and Jam it's Chalean's cardio based program although there is one weight training video in the 5 Rocking Workouts DVD set. There are "jumpy" parts but those can all be modified. She always has someone doing a modified version for people who aren't fit enough for the jumping. Her cardio workouts are super fun too, you won't be able to do other cardio videos after her because you will anything but hers boring! Also her workouts can all be modified to be as hard or as easy as you need for your level.

If and when you become too "fit" for those you can try out her program Turbo Fire (which is 100 times harder than Turbo Jam but will get you into the best shape of your life, however that one does require jumping as it has HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) sessions where you have to really get your heart rate up through short high intensity bursts intervals).

Also since you are doing walking you should research HIIT training, the best way to get max amount of calories burns is doing shorts high intensity bursts between regular training, like doing a two minute high intensity sprint and then walking it off and repeat (there will be ton of recommendations for this online that are better than mine). But HIIT training is the best kind for max calorie/fat burn.

I will say though more important than cardio is the weight training like Chalean Extreme, when you are in a deficit you run into the risk of losing muscle mass especially when doing cardio, weigh training instead will help preserve your muscle mass. Here is a study you should consider:
    Although this may be contrary to popular belief, a 1999 study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition drives home the importance of strength training over cardio for fat loss without muscle loss while in a caloric deficit.

The study looked at two groups of obese subjects put on identical very low-calorie diets. One group was given an aerobic exercise only protocol (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week), and the other group was given resistance training only three times per week. After 12 weeks, both groups lost weight. The aerobic exercise group lost 37 pounds, 27 of which was fat and ten of which was muscle. However, the resistance-training group lost 32 pounds, and 32 pounds were fat; zero was muscle.
    In other words, the resistance-training group lost significantly more fat and didn’t lose any muscle, even at only 800 calories per day, which is far lower than anyone would want to go, but was done in this study in order to take any dietary variables completely out of the equation and compare the effects of the exercise regime on muscle maintenance and metabolism.
    Additionally, when resting metabolic rate was calculated after the study, it was found that the aerobic (cardio) group was burning 210 fewer calories daily. In contrast, the resistance-training group had increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/#ixzz43wW7Altu