18 months post-op and weight gain - helpful suggestions?

katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
I am eighteen months post-op today, and after getting from 235 down to 170 by December 2014, I started to put the weight back on in October 2015. Now it is March 2016, and I'm at about 184.

Here is what I've done wrong: I started to eat the things you are not supposed to. I got used to being able to eat small quantities of just about anything and be satisfied by that. At the outset, I was neurotic about avoiding carbs, especially breads and sweets, with good results. Then I started to get lax about it.

In October, my downward slide started with Halloween candy. Then in November we had Thanksgiving and all the prep that went along with that, and I snacked way too much on things that were too highly caloric - cookies, dips, and other things that went down way too easy, and having a few here and there did nothing to fill me up, but contributed to high calorie totals by the end of the day, which I ignored. Ditto with the Christmas season, then New Years. Oh, and the parties, and the added alcohol did nothing to help. I had the week between Christmas and New Years off and snacked snacked snacked.

This was all exacerbated by a physical injury I sustained in October 2015 - I needed to rest my leg and had to discontinue my exercise program for a while. It was the perfect excuse and lead-in to winter, which is the season where we don't want to get out and exercise anyway because of the weather. I've been down about my job as we are experiencing changes in management, too, so there is has been added stress and anxiety.

So between the poor adherence to my diet plan, and the lack of exercise, the pounds packed on.

They are not coming off quickly! I am down three pounds, then up three pounds. The clothes I wore in October are not fitting. I am working on it, and sticking to the diet better than before, but I need to record my food intake more consistenty and incorporate more exercise, now that spring is here.

I do best when I record everything on MFP. It keeps me mindful, which makes it hard to cheat and forget about it.

DO you have any suggestions about getting back on the horse?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    You have to decrease carbs to decrease the cravings that come with consuming them! For me, a little leads to a lot! That is the only way I have found that works for me! It's so easy the first year, then it becomes work, and focus, to be a continued success! Best of luck to you!
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    I am not going to give advice because I am in the same boat (I'm 2 years and 2 months out). I'm just here to let you know you're not the only one struggling, because I know I feel like I'm the only one sometimes! Your story and timeline are similar to mine, except I started gaining at about 15 months out, slowly for a while, then when I went back to work part time after almost 3 years off with my 3rd baby, I gained 20 in just a few months. I also had 2 different injuries that derailed my exercise plans and haven't been able to get back in the habit yet. Eating way too many carbs and snacking in between meals instead of drinking water. I have since stopped the weight gain, but now have to put in the work to lose it. I am experiencing the worst stress in my life as I try to find a full time job, deal with my dad recently being diagnosed with terminal cancer, and caring for my mom after a complicated surgery (and they are divorced so traveling between the 2 homes to help and visit).

For me, I think I will start with focusing on protein and trying to break the carb and snacking habit. Then add the exercise back into the plan.

My HW was 260 before the pre-op diet, SW was about 240, lowest was 178, current 205. Want to lose 20-30 and then maintain!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Last year I had a job that was really challenging, I had to commute 3 hours a day and worked 10 hour days. It changed my whole routine completely, my exercise routine and sleep suffered, I was tired, unmotivated, and in about 9 months I gained 20 lbs. I had kind of given up. I knew something had to give though, because this was not part of the plan. I had to remember where my head was when I made the decision to have surgery, and go back to the basics. Fortunately at this time, I also got a new job much closer to home with flexible hours, and I have been able to get back into my old exercise routine. I have also gotten back to basics with my eating too. Just focusing on the protein and like Karlottap said, reducing the carbs. It is a lot more challenging this time around, but if you stick to the plan and trust the process, you will get the results.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one!! I have been really struggling and I am about 18 months out now. I find that I get hungry (although honestly, that never really stopped for me) and can eat more than I ever thought I would be able to again. Unfortunately. I seem to lose and gain the same 5 pounds over and over. I find that I have to really stay under 50 grams of carbs to lose and it helps me to split up my workouts to two times a day.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    I found that I have to keep simple carbs and sugar out of my plan, to successfully maintain. I log food a day ahead, so I know what kind of substitutions are available to me. If I do plan on a higher carb and/or sugar meal, I know I'll have to detox a couple of days to get right back on track. It was also helpful to me to set up a Maintenance board on Pinterest, with tops and inspirational reminders to keep my head in the game. You've got this !
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2016
    If you can message me in "friends" we can try to keep each other honest. I found its stress that brings back in the old habits. Having someone to lean on that really gets it helps. I'm up 9 pounds. Not a secret as to the why, I eat horribly. Old pattern of sneaking carbs in all day long without logging them in. As if 6 cookies, a bag of popcorn, a bagel, etc., etc., are free foods, lol.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

I joined weight watchers on Tuesday, and I am really happy with it. I have been logging on MFP and on the WW app (which is similar, but counts points instead of calories). Yesterday, I ate/drank all of my 32 WW points, and it turned out to be about 1,400 calories. If I ate more free foods (most fruits and veggies), my WW points would have stayed the same, but I would have had more calories. I got plenty of protein and kept my carbs low, which is in keeping with VSG rules. I'm okay with that intake. Since Tuesday, I've already lost 4 lbs. Anyone else doing WW and want to weigh in on their experience?