When did you start wearing maternity clothes?

Options
_cassie623
_cassie623 Posts: 51 Member
Kind of a silly question, but a family member asked if I was in maternity clothes yet or needed any and it got me wondering...

With my son, I started wearing maternity clothes around 22 weeks pregnant. I'm not wearing them yet this pregnancy (currently 21 weeks, 3 days) but I expect to soon.

Just curious! :smile:

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I started wearing shirts in the first trimester because I had such bad bloat, but I could have stayed in regular stuff if I had really wanted to. I could still fit into regular clothes until around 27 weeks though since I didn't really expand out until after that point. With my first I wore my regular jeans to the hospital at 40+6, but I carried her a lot higher than this guy!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started wearing maternity clothes just this week (I'm 12 weeks tomorrow).

My natural waist thickened quite a bit really quickly by like 3-4 inches, probably from bloat, so all my jeans had been uncomfortable and bordering on unwearable. Usually my problem is that the waist of most jeans are too loose and gape terribly, but now I'm having the opposite problem, I've had to employ the hair band trick to fasten my jeans until finally breaking down and getting maternity jeans.
    I picked up some maternity tops too, but the ones I got don't seem any different than tunics found in the misses section. I really didn't 'need' them at all like I needed jeans.

My regular tunics, tees, and leggings could probably last me well into my pregnancy though, I'd bet.
  • thegirlwthegreenapple
    Options
    I'm in maternity pants at 11w2d for comfort (that panel feels glorious! My normal jeans are strangling me) and sticking with normal shirts that are looser, since my belly isn't big enough for maternity shirts yet but I don't want to stretch out anything fitted.

I've only gained about 3 lbs but this is my third pregnancy, so I'm in maternity earlier than my first two for sure (I think I was 16ish weeks when I bumped to maternity with my first). And we're all just different in when we "pop" and how far out we carry out babies, I think, even from pregnancy to pregnancy.
  • Sweetkays
    Sweetkays Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet and I am 20 weeks today. I have been wearing the Bebands on my tighter pants but most of my clothes still fit.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm 12w3d and haven't YET...but it's in my near future. I'm actually down over 10# so far in pregnancy, not because I'm sick...and not because I'm trying to lose weight [I'm not]...but apparently because my metabolism REALLY likes being pregnant even though I bumped up my calorie goal above my pre-pregnancy goal by 300-400 calories (overweight to start with, so my doc is ok with this loss as long as it doesn't go on for too long). So I'm in this awkward situation where my work pants are all super-baggy in the butt & thighs right now, but feel like they are strangling LittleBit across the still-really-small bump when I'm sitting at my desk. Since i sit a lot for work, I've been having to unbutton my pants at my desk...which that awkwardness can only go on for so long. I've actually had bad dreams that someone walks into my office, I jump up from my chair to greet them, and my pants stay sitting... :grimace:

I have maternity work slacks pre-purchased, pre-washed, & ready to wear. But I'm hoping to make it until the point I announce at work (4/18- 15w3d) without making the swap. I have a "clothes monitor" co-worker who will totally notice all new pants & will start gossiping if I make the switch before announcing.

My jeans for evening/weekend use seem to be hanging in there well, but denim has so much spandex in it anymore that it's not really denim. lol
  • CateWright1
    CateWright1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 9/10 weeks with my second baby, have lost 2 lbs, and just had to buy a pair of maternity shorts... My leggings and one pair of stretchy jeans still fit as well as all of my shirts. I'm noticeably bumpy already- not sure what's up with that (multiples run in my family so we shall see at our first ultrasound). Last time, I was wearing regular clothes until about 22-24 weeks.
  • kristisanchez11
    kristisanchez11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, Cate! I'm at 13 weeks with my second, but I feel that this bump is closer to what I looked like at 5 months with my first! I will definitely need to turn to maternity wear a little earlier with this one!
  • _cassie623
    _cassie623 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well I pulled out my maternity clothes yesterday at 23 weeks, 1 day. I forgot how good that stretchy belly panel feels! lol
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I refuse to. They don't make any for my style. But my clothes started getting tight at 14 weeks, and by 19 I was buying bigger sizes and sweat pants
  • lesleykc
    lesleykc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For my first pregnancy, I bought 2 pairs of maternity jeans and started wearing them at about 6-7 months. Never touched a maternity shirt as I didn't feel the need to. I bought lots of shirts that were a bit longer (Gap sells tall size shirts online and they're perfect!) I'm 20 weeks in my second pregnancy and I think I probably have a month or 2 till I break out my old maternity jeans. I've been really lucky to keep 99% of my regular wardrobe throughout being pregnant, just ensuring I have longer shirts and stretchy dresses.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to live in swing dresses and leggings, especially with the weather getting warmer.
    This is my third, and I don't fancy getting any new maternity wear, (unless I see a super bargain! :P). I might buy some bigger clothes though, or just rifle through what I already have.

I am already missing my jeans though, as the waist just feels like it's putting pressure on my abdomen, and I dont like the feeling.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    24weeks now and haven't bought maternity clothes yet. Thanks to losing 55lbs before pregnancy I'm using my fat clothes.