Hoping for surgery soon!

Options
Hey everyone! I just started the process and still have to get my referral to see the surgeon but I have been meeting with a nutritionist. I have pcos and low thyroid and have been struggling to lose for years. Hoping to get sleeved in the next 3 months

Replies

• char_barr
    char_barr Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am scheduled to on April 18th. Today I am starting to really focus on eating healthy, working out, Protein Shakes, and mindful eating. I am really looking forward to making changes for good! Good luck on your journey.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Good luck ladies! It's definitely a roller coaster that seems to take forever, then one day *BOOM* you're out of surgery thinking, "Well that happened quickly!" Good luck! Feel free to message me or send friend requests!
  • luckyblonde86
    luckyblonde86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery yesterday and an a little sore. But you gotta make yourself walk. I know it is a long drawn out process but don't be discouraged.
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I'm almost four weeks post-op and doing really well. I'm a veteran of MFP, but a newbie to groups. Congrats on your decision to live a healthier life for you! Message or send friend requests if you like!
  • char_barr
    Options
    Awesome to see replies to this thread! I am super excited about this decision - I finally feel like I am giving control back to myself. My second Nutritionist appointment is tonight, and on Tuesday I have a smattering of Drs appts - cardio, pulmo, psych. Then I just have to reschedule my gastro appoint - he was originally scheduled for Tues too - but couldn't get away with it that easy I guess.

Good luck ladies!
  • luckyblonde86
    luckyblonde86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Aeesome! Good luck with all.
  • Lori_Pensel
    Lori_Pensel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So ready for April 4th to get here already!!!!!! 11 more days of preop diet then the big day!!!! <3
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Easter to all who celebrate :)

Quick question - I am having my surgery on April 18th just like char_barr. One thing I am wondering about is what did you guys wear while you were in the hospital?

I usually just wear a t shirt to bed but obviously will have to wear more than just a t-shirt there! :)

Having bypass based on my doc's suggestion - went for my pre-op and asked the nurse if sleeve would be better for me (down about 28 lbs since I started the process Nov 20th) and she told me if I switched they would have to re-submit me and I want to get it over with so going with bypass.

Looking forward to any suggestions! :)
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 In the hospital, I double gowned it. Being hooked up to IVs and doped up, I didn't care. One gown on covering the front, second one like a robe. I brought my own hard soled slippers to walk in, instead of their socks with grips. I was there two nights, and the idea of changing just didn't cross my mind.

One thing I felt was a necessity and was SO glad I brought it was an extension cord! That way my electronics (brought my ipad, only used my phone) could be charged and plugged in right by me instead of having to get up and plug them in.

I know many bypass patients only do one night (same for sleeve, but my doctor is super conservative) so I wouldn't worry about packing too much. I brought my own lotion (because I'm a snob), my own lip balm (I am very sensitive to certain ingredients), and my own toothpaste (same reason).

I also brought headphones to watch TV with, never even turned the TV on. Brought puzzle books, no interest. Any time I wasn't sleeping or sipping I was walking.

Good luck! You'll do great!
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 My experience was similar to @NicoleL874 . I only spent one night, brought my phone and charger, but I mostly slept and watched tv. I was so dopey and sleepy, I didn't really want to text or fbook or any of that.
    I brought all my own toiletries and I didn't change clothes until the morning I was about to be discharged. My surgery was at 10 am, it lasted 45 minutes, I spent one night and was gone by 11 am the next day. Took a shower at home, and set myself up on the couch for the duration of the day :D

• jcavanna2
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am anxiously counting down! Great tips!:)
  • CMabe2013
    CMabe2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello... Happy to finally find a group to be able to talk with ppl who have been or are going to be taking the same journey.. I started preparing for my surgery a year ago and FINALLY I'm cleared for surgery this Thursday :):) yayyy so excited! Thankfully I have a awesome support group and 2 sister in laws who started this journey before me. Excited to make some new friends!
  • kimberlytedquist
    kimberlytedquist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello what is pcos? I also have Hypothyroidism, have been taking medication since I was 18 years old. I would love to hear more about your journey.
  • CMabe2013
    Options
    Polycystic ovary syndrome.. Another reason it's hard to lose weight.
  • kimberlytedquist
    kimberlytedquist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that runs with Hypothroidism? I had cysts on/in ovaries all the time. Had Hyster in 2011
  • CMabe2013
    Options
    It might. It's worth checking with your doctor.
  • char_barr
    Options
    Did you have your surgery CMabe?
  • CMabe2013
    Options
    Yes I did on April 7th I'm down 22 lbs so far.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Awesome!!