Help buying a road bike

Options
Robertus
Robertus Posts: 558 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I haven't had a road bike since graduate school and I'm excited to getting one again. I have a budget of $1,500 and these are the first couple that caught my fancy:

1. Giant FastRoad CoMax 2
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/fastroad.comax.2/22178/83976/

Why is it better than the FastRoad SLR 1 for $1,100?

2. Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge-elite-dsw/106564

I don't really like drop handlebars but I know they're better for less wind resistance and have heard they're easier on the back. Will do some test rides to see if I can get used to it and like it more. There's a great local bike shop in the next town over, and they encourage long test rides.

3. What else should I be looking at?

I've had a heavy Trek hybrid for 20 years, which is OK for flat rides and perfect for the tow-path and some other scenic off-road paths, but I want something that is a little more hill friendly for my occasional long 'mountain' commute and rides to nearby towns. Technically, it is a mountain, or at least what passes for a mountain in New Jersey. I think light-weight and relatively comfortable are my two highest priorities.

The following should be completely irrelevant, but I really like the look of the curves on the Giant. I'm really into aesthetics. ;-) It might motivate me to go biking more, believe it or not!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are a ton of options at that price point. IMO, if you've got a good LBS in town, start with the brands they sell.

The benefit of drop bars is the additional hand placements. This gives you more options to find what's comfortable, and what's comfortable may change over the course of the ride. With drop bars you've got 3 options, with flat you've really only got 1, unless there's some sort of bar end like on the giant, in which case you've got 2. Yes, riding in the drops can mean less wind resistance, but that benefit is pretty insignificant for most of us. "Easier on the back" is going to be really personal/individual. Some people prefer being more upright, others don't.

As far as the difference between the 2 Giants... one has a composite frame, the other is aluminum. I'm not sure one is necessarily better than they other, but they may have a very different road feel. Ride em both and see. Parts specs are basically identical.

• Robertus
    Options
    Thanks! My favorite LBS sells both so I'm covered there.

There are a couple of other good LBSs nearby. Are there any other specific models you would recommend? Of the two mentioned, or any others at this price point, which would be the more comfortable on long rides, ie, less bone jarring.

The Giant might already have something like bar end handlebars, or, if not, they would switch them out for me. I know you can sit relatively upright with drop handlebars, but I prefer to have my hands a little further apart. Feels a little more comfortable and stable. Also, weirdly enough, I kind of like the aesthetics of more traditional old-fashioned handlebars.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Thanks! My favorite LBS sells both so I'm covered there.

There are a couple of other good LBSs nearby. Are there any other specific models you would recommend? Of the two mentioned, or any others at this price point, which would be the more comfortable on long rides, ie, less bone jarring.

The Giant might already have something like bar end handlebars, or, if not, they would switch them out for me. I know you can sit relatively upright with drop handlebars, but I prefer to have my hands a little further apart. Feels a little more comfortable and stable. Also, weirdly enough, I kind of like the aesthetics of more traditional old-fashioned handlebars.

Really hard to know what a bike is going to feel like on the road without actually riding it. So I think that's your next step. Go ride some stuff and see what you think. Once you narrow it down to a few different frames, you can get online and compare specs, builds, prices, etc.

There are so many bikes in that price range that I'm not sure I'd recommend any one of them over any other, especially without having ridden them first. Giant, Cannondale, Trek and Specialized are the big 4, but there are probably a dozen (if not more) other top notch companies with pretty extensive offerings that I'd consider, too. I have my own feelings on most of them based on my experiences, but they are all good companies that make good bikes, so really you just need to throw a leg over some frames and see how they feel, then go from there.
  • Robertus
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I visited a couple of local bike shops, did some test rides, and ended up buying a 2016 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1 (retail $1800) for $1350. Someone had ordered it but ended up buying something else so the bike shop owner was willing to let it go at a good discount. It's a great bike, handling is amazing. Between the test rides and riding it home did about 14 miles over the 'mountain'. The hills on the 'mountain' were kiler, but I would not have even tried them in my old hybrid.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Post some photos of the new steed!
  • RidingPastor
    RidingPastor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    that is an interesting looking bike but it sounds like you got a good deal and are riding it so that is all that matters. I am in the market for a road bike as well. I have a short list but I am afraid it will be limited by budget (and wife) this time around.