Losing without going super low carb??

Options
des_1218
des_1218 Posts: 12 Member
Hi everyone, this is my first day to the group. I was wondering if anyone has had successful weight loss no going super low carb? Right now I have my macros set to 30% carb 30% fat and 40% protein. Any input would be great. Have a good day!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've heard of folks personally having luck doing things like Trim Healthy Mama, lower carb, Paleo, Whole30, and all manner of things. I think it depends on what all you have going on aside from the PCOS.

For example, I'm insulin resistant, I have hypothyroidism, and I'm likely estrogen dominant. So I have to be more restrictive in some ways, and less so in others. It's all relative.
  • des_1218
    Options
    I am also insulin resistant. I've been averaging about 80 carbs per day. I have been going to the gym 4 days a week and haven't lost a thing. It really sucks and makes me just want to say screw it. Sigh..
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    des_1218 wrote: »
    I am also insulin resistant. I've been averaging about 80 carbs per day. I have been going to the gym 4 days a week and haven't lost a thing. It really sucks and makes me just want to say screw it. Sigh..

With the insulin resistance, you know that while you can have certain carbs that any carbs triggering a sugar reaction are a huge no-no, because every time that insulin kicks in, you stop fat burning and start fat storing, right? That's one of my biggest frustrations. I try to incorporate some fasting wherever possible or even a few extra hours before a meal can counter some of the larger "storage sessions."

Personally, I do very low carb because that's what my body responds best to. I did okay at a mid-range carb setting, but too many of the foods I was choosing lead to cravings, so my best stress relief comes from buckling down. I tend to get postprandial somnolence when my insulin is high, so I just watch for the effect, and if I can avoid it, I figure I'm doing okay. Also, there is some information out there that says if you have carbs, keeping the bulk of your limit to help sleep quality at night might be a thing, but I haven't tested that personally.

Also, at the gym, if you're doing a lot of cardio, you might want to cut back. The optimum zone is around 30 minutes, preferably of high/alternating intensity. Or weight training helps a lot... Post what you're doing here, and there are lots of those who might offer specific advice!
  • des_1218
    Options
    Thank you for the info. Can I ask what your total carbs are per day?

As far as the gym goes; I admit I do mostly cardio. Why the 30 minute rule?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I probably range from 20 grams - 50 grams total, with my net being way lower (I only go up to 50 grams on a heavy veggie day, generally, or a "maintenance" metabolism boost day). Most days are 20 to 30 total grams. I feel awesome, even on days like today where I've had next to no sleep thanks to jerk neighbors, and weeks like last week where my normal not-a-morning-person self had to start getting up at 4:30 am rather than 6 am to get ready for work due to an extended commute (office move).

If my carbs are higher for good quality real food, I don't sweat it too much. I try to avoid most sugar-free snacks, unless the fats to carb ratio is at least double the fat grams as carb grams. I'm going on 18 months low carb (with about 6-8 weeks off plan at the fall/winter holidays this past year - a feat I hope to never repeat - months later and I'm still recovering!), so I've got a decent idea what works for me and what doesn't. I just have to be careful to avoid triggers for my insulin resistance/sugar addiction.

After 30 minutes or so of straight cardio, you're straining your body's resources, particularly if you're a carb burner for fuel, and there generally aren't more benefits to it than doing just 30 minutes. Now if you're interval or HIIT training in that cardio, you might be okay. @Dragonwolf might have the article reference for why this works. Basically, only doing cardio, you're working on your cardiovascular endurance, but you're not doing the best for your body... We can generally do more things in the same time with other programs...
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm trialling doing one day keto (<20g net carbs), one day moderate (~30g) and one day higher carb (50g-60g) as I've found that eating super low carb all the time doesn't fit my body very well. I'm hoping that this will keep me in ketosis most of the time and also allow me to keep my fibre up and eat a slightly wider range of foods :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You should easily be able to maintain nutritional ketosis at even 50 grams a day more days that not once you're adapted, as long as those are good carbs, @UMDavies (like not all sugar or bread, etc.). It depends on the person and the foods! Good luck. Let us know how your progress goes.

www.healthfulpursuit.com has a program about how to carb up once a week or more while low carbing if it doesn't work for you as a stand alone, and that sounds similar to your approach. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Why have people suddenly started thinking that 50-60g of carbs is "higher" and keto "requires" 20g or less? Seriously, where is this coming from? *boggle*

Technically speaking, the body starts making ketones around the 100g carb intake range, and it scales up as carb intake decreases (until you reach about 2mmol/L concentration of ketones, at which point, the body becomes resistant to higher production due to the acidity of the ketones and the pH of the blood, and you start seeing diminishing returns on ketone levels). The 20g number for standard keto is really only for induction, to drain your glycogen stores quickly and get you burning more ketones sooner. It's not at all necessary to do, even at the beginning, let alone permanently, if the only reason you're doing it is for ketosis.

Also, fiber isn't actually required by the body, and in some cases, is actually counterproductive. I wouldn't sweat trying to get a certain amount of fiber simply because we're told to.

The guy that was pretty integral to increasing the fiber recommendations was Dr. Kellogg, who was the co-creator of Corn Flakes (and brother to the founder of Kellogg's), and was so obsessed with *kitten* and bowel movements that he created the cereal to inflate the amount of fiber people were consuming, so that the "plumbing" stayed insanely "clean" (because he believed the cause of sexual desire and *kitten* was solid fecal matter in the colon).

I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up.

Steady state, medium intensity cardio is counterproductive after about 30 minutes, because the cortisol release outpaces the benefits from the exercise around that length of time. High intensity intervals are better, because they promote other hormonal releases that outpace the cortisol release, and you pretty much can't do them for more than about half an hour. While we can do endurance, we're not particularly built for jogging all day, nonstop. We're built more for walking, sprinting, and lifting, and these things provide the biggest and (especially for the latter two) most efficient benefits to our health. Lifting and sprinting/HIIT spur the release of growth hormone, which helps build muscle and burn fat (while cortisol does the opposite, which is why Olympic level marathon runners very often look emaciated and amateur marathoners often complain of that extra bit of belly fat they can't seem to get rid of), it also helps balance the sex hormones (because they're all steroid hormones, which also get used/released with this kind of training), and helps regulate insulin.

I highly recommend dropping most of your cardio and picking up a barbell. I know, it can be intimidating, but most of the people in the free weight section are friendly and helpful, and/or just trying to get their own workout in. And no, you won't turn into She-Hulk.

For the rest of your cardio, make sure to vary your speed -- walk a little bit, jog a little, do full-out sprints a little. This provides the cardiovascular benefits, without the drawbacks of long-term, steady-state cardio.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to friend me. I started in this group in Feb of this year and have lost 15 lbs going low carb/high good fat and protein (less than 100 carbs per day), lifting heavy weights for 30 minutes twice a week, and (sometimes) HIIT for 30 minutes once a week. I am on metformin and some supplements like ALA and myo-inositol to combat the insulin resistance and am also working on fighting the inflammation that is often associated with PCOS by incorporating more fermented foods (kombucha, pickles, sauerkraut, etc) and avoiding inflammatory foods like (cue the violins) dairy. Once you friend me, you can view my diary if you're curious what the diet looks like. Fair warning, view back in Feb. I've been slacking lately in recording. This is a great group, and I've learned a ton here. Welcome!