(taken from The Oh She Glows Cookbook)
    makes 22 falafels

3 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup red onion
    1/3 cup packed cilantro leaves
    1/3 cup packed parsley leaves
    1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup plus 6 tbsp sprouted-grain bread crumbs (I just use regular bread)
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400f. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2. In a food processor, pulse the garlic to finely chop. Add onion, cilantro, & parsley and process until minced. Add chickpeas and process until the mixture forms a coarse dough and holds together when pressed between you fingers.
    3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in flaxseed, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, cumin and salt until combined.
    4. Shape mixture into small patties, using about 1 tbsp dough for each.
    5. With a pastry brush, brush a few drops of water onto each patty. One at a time roll the patties in remaining 6 tbsp bread crumbs, pressing down on each side so the crumbs stick. (you have to really press to get them to stick). Place patties on baking sheet.
    6. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

According to the mfp recipe thing they are 36 calories each.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I found an Egyptian inspired food that I am doing tonight. It is from Allrecipes.com. I still need to do the Nutritional challenge. cccochogmkub.png
  • vazquezmom7
    Options
    Oh I forgotto post my weight, 162.4 Can someoneplease post it, I don't wantto get eliminated. :-)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh I forgotto post my weight, 162.4 Can someoneplease post it, I don't wantto get eliminated. :-)

for which date ... you didn't log our weight for 3/22 or 3/29 ... we don't log again until 4/5 ...
    I put it in for you as 3/29, but I don't know if that still counts as it is almost a week late.

Weight weigh-ins are Tuesday and need to be reported by ??? ...

• sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Thanks @vazquezmom7 and @laurab384 for the soup recipes ... making it today.

You're welcome (I'm sure you meant to add me :D )
  • sukkara
    Options
    So the new tickets for the race are out. Thank God it's less than 2000 miles! Last week was tough, and my knees now hurt from all the stair climbing :'(

Anyway, this week looks pretty easy to achieve. Let's all have a great one!!

Btw, how many members are we really?
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Weight weigh-ins are Tuesday and need to be reported by ??? ...

Weigh ins need to be reported by thursday to count for that week. If you miss 3 in a row you'll be eliminated
  • sukkara
    Options
    laurab384 wrote: »
    Oil-free baked falafels
    (taken from The Oh She Glows Cookbook)
    makes 22 falafels

3 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup red onion
    1/3 cup packed cilantro leaves
    1/3 cup packed parsley leaves
    1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup plus 6 tbsp sprouted-grain bread crumbs (I just use regular bread)
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400f. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2. In a food processor, pulse the garlic to finely chop. Add onion, cilantro, & parsley and process until minced. Add chickpeas and process until the mixture forms a coarse dough and holds together when pressed between you fingers.
    3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in flaxseed, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, cumin and salt until combined.
    4. Shape mixture into small patties, using about 1 tbsp dough for each.
    5. With a pastry brush, brush a few drops of water onto each patty. One at a time roll the patties in remaining 6 tbsp bread crumbs, pressing down on each side so the crumbs stick. (you have to really press to get them to stick). Place patties on baking sheet.
    6. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.

According to the mfp recipe thing they are 36 calories each.

Thanks for the recipe! Not a big fan of falafel, but this recipe sounds tasty, might try to make it someday.
  • laurab384
    Options
    sukkara wrote: »
    laurab384 wrote: »

Thanks for the recipe! Not a big fan of falafel, but this recipe sounds tasty, might try to make it someday.

They were more dry than a traditional falalel (probably due to not frying) but they were pretty tasty, and on a pita with a little sauce the dryness wasn't noticeable. I'm thinking of making them again for easy lunches.
  • laurab384
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome to week 5 Dream Achievers!

Our total "miles" for the week is 1898. Currently we are down to 9 members on our team so we each need to do at least 211 minutes this week. We can do this!!!! We went way over that last week (currently at 2738 for week 4). Remember we get extra points for going over so let's keep moving and rack up some points!

One of the challenges is a kettlebell workout. I don't own kettlebells so I'm planning to use a dumbbell instead. It's not exactly the same but it should be good enough. You only need to do the video once this week.

Here's a quick reference for anyone who isn't sure how to substitute with a dumbbell:
    http://strongmadesimple.com/blog/2014/10/how-to-swing-a-dumbbell-like-a-kettlebell

One of the other challenges is an "accountable to me" challenge. We're supposed to list (in the posted thread) 3 ways we've been accountable to ourselves during this challenge and 2 new things we'd like to achieve. So try to think of any "non-scale victories" you've had or new habits you've picked up.

B)
  • Nikion901
    Options
    sukkara wrote: »
    Thanks @vazquezmom7 and @laurab384 for the soup recipes ... making it today.

You're welcome (I'm sure you meant to add me :D )

Yes ... thank you @sukkara !!!!
  • vazquezmom7
    Options
    Not sure where to keep track of miles for the challenge, so I will post them here. I walked 4 miles today but worked out for 90 minutes. (60 min. walking and 30 min. lifting weights/circuit training) So I need to walk/run 21 more miles this week? Wow this is a challenge. Here is my schedule to accomplish this:

Mon. 4 miles walked DONE
    Tues. 1.5 miles run, 2 miles walked
    Wed. 4 miles walked
    Thurs. 1.5 miles run, 2 miles walked
    Fri. 4 miles walked
    Sat. 1.5 miles run, 2 miles walked
    Sun. 2.5 miles walked
  • laurab384
    Options
    @vazquezmom7 sounds like a good plan! I'll add your miles to the spreadsheet :)
  • laurab384
    Options
    Good morning Dream Achievers!
    I'm going to try to get some extra miles in today in spite of the SNOW we're dealing with around here!!! :'( It feels like spring will never come! :s

rm86gry2imyn.jpg
  • vazquezmom7
    Options

Mon. 4 miles walked DONE
    Tues. 1.5 miles run, 2 miles walked DONE
    Wed. 4 miles walked
    Fri. 4 miles walked
    Sun. 2.5 miles walked

• laurab384
    Options

Mon. 4 miles walked DONE
    Tues. 1.5 miles run, 2 miles walked DONE
    Wed. 4 miles walked
    Fri. 4 miles walked
    Sun. 2.5 miles walked

Great job @vazquezmom7!!!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Wk 5 challenge
    Mon - no exercise, no kettlebell, no walking, ate cabbage (chinese cabbage)
    Tues - no exercise, no kettlebell, no walking, ate salmon
    Wed -
  • Nikion901
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wk 5 challenge
    Mon - no exercise, no kettlebell, no walking, ate cabbage (chinese cabbage)
    Tues - no exercise, no kettlebell, no walking, ate salmon

Wed - 45 min exercise, no kettlebell, walked 1/4 mile, ate fermented cabbage

I found a video series on YouTube geared for morbidly obese or imoblie people and did the first video today for my exercise. ... Low-Impact Workouts for Obesity and Limited Mobility
    video 1 -
    https://youtu.be/K-iKrlw00Dw
    My plan is to incorporate these videos into my daily routines as I ease back into activity.

I did both of these to get on the roll
  • issy62087
    issy62087 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just want to share an awesome recipe I put together. It's super filling and packed protein, fiber, omega fatty acids and phytochemicals. I just eyeball measurements so numbers are approximate.

1/2 Cup of cooked Quinoa
    1/2 Cup of Black beans
    1- 4oz. Grilled Salmon filet
    1/2 Cup Mango Salsa
    mango
    cucumber
    red bell pepper
    red onion
    jalapeno
    cilantro
    lemon or lime juice
  • vazquezmom7